Tell us your dog's story!

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Tell us your dog's story!

Whether you got your dog from a breeder or a rescue, they all have a story. Why did you pick that particular breeder? Why did you pick "that" puppy? Did you get a mutt or pure bred? Did you go to a rescue or shelter? Tell us about them and share some pics too!

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

I have talked about Harley so many times, but I will start this discussion! I went to the shelter to pick out a forever friend and a saw a batch of puppies. They were WAY to young to be adopted, so I didn't even consider them as an option. I feel in love this a 3 yr old lab mix with a heart of gold. Unfortunately a mix up at the shelter caused him to be given to another family before we could take him home.

That is when Harley came into my life. Originally name Layla, she and her brothers and sister were found abandoned in a baseball field at three weeks. The shelter said that they were most likely left there when the mother had puppies and the owner couldn't take care of them .  It is very dangerous for puppies to be separating  that young, but thankfully the shelter staff took on the responsibility of nursing and raising the pups!

If it wasn't for their care, I strongly believe that her litter would have met a way more tragic end.  I am watching her nap in the office as we type this. Tears still come to my eyes when I think about it. SHARE YOUR STORY! <3

• Bronze

Our golden retriever belonged to a neighbor, but he decided my husband was his human.  He kept running away and showing up at our house, and when we tried to take him home, he would lay down & refuse to move.  Finally we just asked our neighbors if we could keep him, and to our great surprise, they actually said yes.  No one ever had a more loyal dog; I think he knew we fixed it so he could be with us and he was always grateful.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Thanks for sharing, I hope the rest of our community shares, these are fun stories to read.

• Bronze

I got my first dog  by adopting him from a dog breeder, I decided I wanted a yorkie, but my boyfriend wanted a dog that's mixed with a poodle, so I started looking online for yorkie poos online. I found a few, and picked one, He lived kind of far away, so me and my boyfriend met the breeder in a Target parking lot so I could meet the puppy. As soon as he layer him in my arms, I couldn't give him back it was love at first site, I gave the breeder $400 and we were off to petsmart to buy all the essentials. We named him Toby, and he's been my baby puppy ever since.

We actually got a second dog, because my boyfriends Dad's had a golden retriever and a poodle, and they had puppies. They actually had sold all of the puppies but the people who were the very first ones to pick the puppy they wanted, never paid and didn't answer their phone to come get the puppy, after multiple attempts to get a hold of the people who originally wanted the puppy, his Dad gave the puppy to us. We named him Busco after Busco Beach NC (ATV park). He was the perfect addition to our family, and still gets to see his biological Dad from time to time.