Being Alpha

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Being Alpha

“Modern” theory training:

Only positive reinforcement, reward based training. Dominant behavior and physical corrections are ineffective.

“Old school” theory training:

You have to be dominant and aggressive to be the alpha, physically correct your dog to get them to do what you want.

Combining the two: Let’s discuss that possibility.

What about rewarding for good behavior and a slight touch to discourage bad behavior? Dogs use physical touch as a consequence, is it ok for us to do the same when they do something wrong? Is using a treat a better way to redirect than using a simple touch? Could treats for a redirect and then a reward be confusing?

• Gold Top Dog

We aren't dogs so why would we try and "correct" a dog the way a dog corrects another dog?   We're supposed to have the bigger brain which is how we discovered that pack theory and dominance theory are baloney.

• Silver

Hey!  I like the combination of the two, I think that there is a lot to be said about being a pack leader, but that doesn't mean you can't be positive! Jackie, what makes the pack theory outdated? I have been reading up and I am not really getting it. I am still new remember, can you explain to me?

• Gold Top Dog

David Mech can explain it better than I can.  I've linked to several articles that you might find interesting.  

www.youtube.com/watch

www.4pawsu.com/alphawolf.pdf

www.whole-dog-journal.com/.../Alpha-Dogs_20416-1.html