How often do you vaccinate your dog?

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

How often do you vaccinate your dog?

• Silver

Can anyone tell me why it is important to get vaccines other than rabies? I know that one is very important, but can't really be convinced that all of them are needed.

• Gold Top Dog

I do the core vaccines every three years.  I do take my dogs in once a year for heartworm test and for their annual exams.   The AVMA protocol calls for these core vaccines every 3 years.  

Adamsbrianc729, the other core vaccines are  explained here:

www.wsava.org/.../New%20Puppy%20Owner%20Vaccination%20Guidelines%20May%202013_0.pdf

• Silver

Thanks Jackie! I will give that a read.

• Gold Top Dog

Pretty much same as Jackie, HW test 1x/year, rabies & all other core every 3 years

• Gold Top Dog

Rabies only as often as absolutely required by law (fortunately my county in Florida only requires 3 year rabies).

For a pup I give one round of core vax (distemper, parvo, adenovirus)  at 12 weeks and one booster at 16 weeks.  After that I *only* titer and vax if absolutely necessary.  It is important to get a good basis in a puppy, but thereafter they now know that distemper usually lasts 12 or more years.  parvo at least 7.  I'm absolutely not saying that vaccines are evil --but they are over-done and if the dog shows immunity I see no reason to vaccinate, and after breaking the bank with a dog who, before we got him, was vastly over-vaccinated  (I got records from the rescue -- he'd been vax'd SIX times in the 5 months prior to our getting him.) who wound up with immune-mediated hemolytic anemia (IMHA)

Billy's case was extreme -- and his IMHA was **not** triggered by a vaccine (I hadn't vaccinated him at all in the 18 months we had him prior to the onset of the IMHA)  but his body was certainly set up to have the immune system fail to work as it should. and then all it takes is the merest trigger to set something like that off.