It's Electric!

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

It's Electric!

The electric Fence - Good or Bad? Is it better for smaller dogs? We've heard that sometimes the larger breeds will bust right through. It may let other dogs in. Do you think it's safe?

Weigh in and let us know what you think.

• Silver

I really want to see how people weigh in on this. I am considering an electric fence.

• Bronze

They make me nervous, I know people who love and hate them. My concern is dogs getting in. If you live in a rural area you may run into issues with bear or other wild animals. I too have heard that the larger breeds will sometimes just go through then can't get back in. I'm not a fan.

• Puppy

As a member of this blog, pet safety is always a top concern of mine. Being an employee for Invisible Fence® Brand, as well as owning one, I wold love to address a few common concerns. With our new Boundary Plus® technology we're the only brand that allows the pet a "free pass" back into the yard. As an extra safety measure, all of the receivers have a low battery indicator light to ensure the safety of the pet. Any of our systems , which are static correction, not electric, are suitable for any size and breed of dog. Our dealers are always available to answer any questions and concerns one might have. We also work with a lot of  veterinarians and SPCA's, you are welcome to reach out to them as well.

• Bronze

We bought our Pet Safe wireless invisible fence about 2 yrs ago. We live in a rural area, with neighbors close by. Our neighbors weren't crazy about a few of our dogs being loose. So we invested in the invisible fence.

We have 4 dogs of mixed breeds, a chocolate lab/pit mix, a German Shepard/Siberian husky, a lab/Australian Shepard mix, and a red nose pit. The German and Austrailian Shepard mix have the collars. I have the collars set on the highest level of correction. It took the Aussie  less time to adjust to the collar. My German.... he took a few more times of being shocked to get the idea of staying in the yard.

I like the fact that it's portable, as long as you have access to an outlet. You have a wide range to set your radius of 360 degree's. Anywhere from a 10 foot circle to a 50 foot circle. It's easy to install. 5 levels of correction.

What I don't like about this, Anywhere you set this, it's gonna be a full circle, no way to make it a half circle. Truck CB's running on the same frequency, can cause the collars to beep or shock your pet. The CB's have to be within a 1/4 mile to affect your system. While it's easy to install, setting the flags at the perimeter is a hassle. Unless you have bionic hearing. The batteries for the collars run about $10.00 for a pack of two. The batteries usually last about 2 months.

I looked at getting the underground vs wireless system. The wireless system won, because of it's ease to set up, and I didn't have to spend a day burying the little line in the yard.

• Puppy

I have  a Petsafe wireless fence. My baby is 122lbs. and my yard is hills and flat. The  fence works wonderful . Smokey is 3 and full of energy. They will only break through if the fence is set to low, Thick hair needs stronger power, my fence is adjustable. I would never have anything else

• Puppy

We buy our batteries on e-bay and we buy the generic brand, we got 20 batteries for 15.00 including shipping

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Marissa thanks so much for your help

• Silver

Nice, I really think that I may invest in one. I think that there are a lot of positive things about it. Thanks all ! :

• Puppy

There are different types of fences. We have the underground fencing system. We had to bury the wire in the ground. We made a square. You can make a square, circle, or even a diamond shape if you want! You set the perimeters. We have ours set to where if our dogs go within 5 feet of the fence they will receive vibration and beep. If they pass up boundary they will receive static correction which doesn't hurt, only scares the crap out of them. It's not painful, just doesn't feel great. I tested it out on myself of course. I have a Lab and a Golden Retriever. The fence works well for them. It took some training and getting used to, but they are trained well and will NOT even go NEAR the boundary line now. If they really wanted to, they could run through it really fast and of course this fence does not keep other animals out of your yard. This fence is only designed to keep your dogs in. I highly recommend it. My dogs have freedom to roam and I don't have to take them out on the leash to go potty. I don't have to pay a fortune for a real fence either.

• Bronze

Another plus to the wireless fence, is that you can have as many collars run off of one transmitter as you want. If you want to give your dogs a bigger area to run, just add in a second transmitter.

The initial cost of the system (transmitter, one collar, and flags) can range, depending on where you make your purchase. I bought mine slightly used from Amazon, with a second collar. This system has more than paid for itself, as far as I'm concerned.

• Gold Top Dog

I've been looking into the issue of electric shock collars today. Wales, one of the countries that make up the UK, has made shock collars illegal. But the Scottish Government rejected a similar plan to ban them. I even spoke to someone who provides these devices and he described them as humane training aids when used properly and with respect. I'm not sold on this at all, and I really would value both sides of the argument. So what's the reality beyond all the hype?