Wild pitbulls killed my moms dog =(:::

• Silver

Wild pitbulls killed my moms dog =(:::

My mom had a beautiful golden retreiver that was about 9 months old and was just a sweetheart that was killed along with dozens of her chickens by some "wild" pit bulls. I know, animal control right? Does not exist anywhere within 250 miles. Shooting them would be an option but I wouldn't be able to do that to any dog good or bad.

My mom wants to buy some more chickens and another golden but doesn't want to see them killed like this again. My dad said the "Great Pyrenees" would be a great choice to protect the chickens and would swollow a pit bull hole. I don't like the idea of having a blood bath dog fight but I am thinking maybe the pit bulls will not even think about comming around when they hear the bark produced by a horse looking dog like this?

Does anyone have any sudgestion's as to what dog breed I can get that will protect the property from this happening again? And is this a waste of time because they will kill this dog to?

Sorry if my post seems aggressive, but I don't know what to do.

Thanks for the time,

__Lw

• Gold Top Dog

An acquaintance of DH's was having problems with coyotes after his horses. He added a donkey to his heard and it goes after the coyote's big time to protect the horses. Just a thought...

Linda

• Gold Top Dog

I've heard the same...donkey, llama...that sort of thing. You probably more want an Anatolian or something than a Pyr...I think they are more erm...proactive...than reactive. Or a Tibetan Mastiff.

Bear in mind even an Livestock guardian will need to be acclimated to people, esp those it lives with and very few LGD's are biddable happy to do what you want critters. Only the dog savvy need apply.

• Gold Top Dog

Um..."wild pitbulls" how do you know they were pitbulls? 

Donkeys are really good with protecting herds...usually a jenny and a jack.  The jenny stays with the herd and the jack protects the herd.

• Gold Top Dog

Whats a "wild" pitbull?

• Gold Top Dog

Sounds like a pack of strays..

• Gold Top Dog

Personally, I wouldn't risk another animal's life while these dogs are in the area.  Donkeys aren't always effective, nor are llamas.  I know several ranchers with coyote problems and they have donkeys and llamas and were still losing sheep.  Livestock Guardian breeds have proven to be the answer but coyotes are quite different from dogs. I would be afraid a pack of stray/feral dogs could overcome and kill a large dog.  I have no doubt that they could kill a donkey or llama.  I would be interested to hear from Becca and her opinion. 

• Gold Top Dog

Moreso than a LGD, I'd think getting good solid fencing up would be a first response.

• Gold Top Dog

Fencing, live traps, and a shot gun.  A stray group of pits are capable of taking down a livestock guardian as they are any other single animal.  Getting rid of the dogs, then getting new animals makes more sense to me.  Adding electric to the fence would also up the deterent level.

• Gold Top Dog

Pitbulls were initially used to take down Bulls ... thus the name.  The bad situation is that it was human's making money from this breed.  Read some history on the American Pitbull before thinking that any one dog or any one animal could stand up to a group of Pitbulls.  If you have a "group" of Pitbulls running wild then something is wrong.  I am thinking that they are a group of mixed breeds. If you live in an isloated area, animal control shelters will help unless there is a resistance to receiving help for whatever reasons. 

It is not okay for dogs to be roaming wild and it is not okay for you to shoot dogs.  I think I may know the situation you are in.  If you are willing to provide more info please do by emaililng me privately.  In the meantime, GOOD FENCES work. 

• Gold Top Dog

Actually, nusiance dogs who are running deer or killing livestock can be shot on the owner's property in many communities of  the US.  After having seen what  dogs can do to livestock, I understand the law.  Animal control may not be the answer if distance is an issue.  Protecting your livestock can be heartbreaking when you have to shoot another animal, but you have an obligation to keep  your livestock safe.  Dog proof fencing can be beyond the means of many folks.

(I am not mentioning any breeds because all are capable.  I own dogs currently on some BSL lists;  while some folks look for a pitt replacement, my "mali-gators" are next on their list.)

• Gold Top Dog

The chickens can be fenced inexpensively, but with the addition of an electric fence around the perimeter.  A dog should not be left alone outdoors, and should have solid fencing in an area where there are coyotes, stray packs of dogs (of any breed or mix), and where there are bears or other wildlife that could injure or trample them.  The kennel doesn't have to be large, because the dog will otherwise be with the owner.  However, if you must walk the dog in areas that are unsafe... a few things people have used to defend themselves and their dogs from attack (be sure it's legal in your area): Spray Shield, pepper spray, pellet gun, walking stick, cattle prod.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Be aware that a pack of dogs can be almost as dangerous and bloodthirsty as a mob of people. They kill for fun, not food. They will attack anything that interests them-other dogs, livestock, deer, children and adults. They are not to be messed with. If the owners can not be found, contact the sheriff or other law enforcement agency, even the DNR.  They get bolder and bolder, and they start with no fear of man.  Its not just a group of individual dogs, its a pack.  It doesn't act like domestic dogs.  They may have to be trapped out or killed for the safety of other animals and people in the area.  It sounds cruel, but they have already killed your dog.  If you are walking in an unsafe area-don't!!  A shotgun with buckshot might protect you if its a small pack and you are a good shot. 

Many years ago, I read an article in a magazine by a man who hunted packs of dogs that had become a danger.  He armed himself with a shotgun, a handgun, and a fighting knife because the dogs would attack and keep coming even as he shot them.  The dogs don't react in a sane manner.  

The pack can consist of any breed of dog, not just bully breed.  Labs, spaniels, setters, pointers.  A pack mentality sets in.

• Gold Top Dog

fencing only goes so far.. and chicken wire is junk where a dog is concerned. it might slow him down.... but he'll eventually get in if he isnt stopped. and if there is a PACK? Forget it...

the other thing that i wonder about is.... if its a pack and dogs(not coyotes) then i'm not sure a llama or donkey would even even work. if it was a lone dog, or two dogs, maybe. but if its a pack of more than three then the donkey could be in just as much danger i would think. pit bulls (if that is indeed what they are) will only step up to the challenge. now.. TWO Donkeys could even the score. thats what they did on the ranch i used to work at. two with the cattle, two with the horses. never just one single donk to do all the work. and that area DID have a problem with strays. and i mean one giant pack of several dogs. you could hear them at night, barking over the fields, chasing down some poor soul. but they never got into our fences for some reason.

Animal control eventually did solve the problem though. but for three years it was scary at night. and in that area people were all too happy to shoot and kill nuisance dogs.

• Puppy

A great Great Pyrenees wouldn't make a lick of a diffference. Any one dog would fail against anything more than 3 feral dogs. Should you decide fencing is not an option, I can only see three breeds that you might consider.

Malamute, Akita, Kengal.

IF there is a pack of wild "pitbulls" running around, These are the only dogs I believe would stand any chance. I would also consider that the best way to keep a pack away is to have your own pack. 3 adult dogs of the previously mentioned breeds (preferably males) should be able to dissuade the pack from comming on your propety due to their sent and should push come to shove they should also be able to hadle a pack from 3 to 6 dogs.

The Malamute and Akita have VERY thick fur. Thus, even when another dog bites them they very often don't get to the skin and simply get a mouthful of hair. This characteristic as well and their size, strength and "gameness" make them excellent guard dogs.

The kengal is simply the most succesful dog against other dogs. Even the pit bull.

Now what i suggest is different though, I think it would be wise to attempt to trap these feral dogs with baited cages. Fences will fail is these are truly pitbulls. Being that they have been repoted to jump over 7 feet in height and otherwise, they are of the terrier familly, which means they will have no problems digging right under the said fence.