What breed is my new puppy?

• Bronze

What breed is my new puppy?

This is my new puppy, her name is Luna. In this picture she is 9 weeks old and weighs 7.5 lbs. She is now 11 weeks old an weighs 9.5 lbs.  She is very strongly bonded with me already, and she howls and barks really loud when I leave her alone (she almost sounds like a seal). Does anyone have a guess as to what mix she might be? Thanks!

http://community.dog.com/members/kelbel1701/blog/default.aspx

http://community.dog.com/members/kelbel1701/blog/default.aspx

• Gold Top Dog

I'm not very good at the breed-guessing game, but since *I* have a Luna, I gotta try *lol*

I think I see some shepherd in your Luna!!  My Luna is all hound-mix! *grin*

• Gold Top Dog

based on her size/age - I'd think maybe some sort of akita mix. she sure is cute!

• Gold Top Dog

Super cute! I was thinking maybe shepherd x.

• Gold Top Dog

I'm not good at breed guesses but she is one seriously cute puppy! 

• Gold Top Dog

I have a Luna too! Your puppy is adorable, and I would guess shepherd mix also.

• Gold Top Dog

I am no good at breed guessing just wanted to tell you how cute she is and I hope you will share more pics and stories with us.

• Bronze

Thanks everyone! The mystery is kiling me so I did a DNA test on her. It takes 4-6 weeks to come back, but I will let you know the results.

• Gold Top Dog

Oh, gosh, your puppy is cute!  I'm wondering if she has some Shiba Inu in her.  Judging from her size, I don't think she's big enough to have any GSD in her, unless it's mixed with something smaller.  My Caleb (Lab) was a little over 10 pounds at 8 weks, and 16 pounds at 12.  Now, at 3 years old, he weighs 65 pounds. 

kelbel1701

Thanks everyone! The mystery is kiling me so I did a DNA test on her. It takes 4-6 weeks to come back, but I will let you know the results.

Don't count on that test being reliable.  I know someone who has dog who is very obviously part Chow.  The DNA test on her came back as Paplion being the primary breed. Surprise  Now, the dog's marking do look like a Pap's, but the dog has the body of a Chow.

• Gold Top Dog

micksmom
      I'm wondering if she has some Shiba Inu in her.

I was thinking the exact same thing!!

• Gold Top Dog
    she looks like my friend's shiba inu pup! but i'm very bad at breed guessing
    • Gold Top Dog

I was thinking shiba mix as well. Aesop was almost 24 lbs at 13 weeks, and he's around 73 lbs now at 17 months.  Comparing that..Grimm was 8 lbs at 12 weeks, somewhere around 15-17 lbs now at a year.

• Gold Top Dog

The DNA tests are not at all reliable. People have had dogs of known mixes test to see how accurate they were and the results were way off. When you have a mixed breed dog from an unknown background there is no way to know exactly what breeds are in the dog's background.

Luna is cute and it is always hard to say with puppies. My guess is she will grow up to be what I always consider, a "prototype" dog. These dogs are created through multiple generations of mixed breeds and are what domestic dogs look like without selective breeding. Most are labeled "shepherd mixes" because of the coat, head and body shape but really, such dogs are so mixed that saying they are an mix of X breed is way off. The Carolina Dog is a breed created from such dogs that were found living wild in SC: http://www.carolinadogs.com/index.html

• Gold Top Dog

I'd buy Shiba as well, shiba crosses seems to turn up from time to time...or maybe a smaller Chow X. Akita pups are usually around 20lbs at 8 weeks.

Cute pup!

• Puppy
    Looks like a shiba inu and akita maybe? Defiantly cute! Im thinking of other breed that look like your dog hmm. Looks like a Tan Australian Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog Not a 100% sure but again.. Cute!