Yorkie's - Advice Needed (mrstjohnson)

• Gold Top Dog

Yorkie's - Advice Needed (mrstjohnson)

URGHHH!!  Sister called me this evening and said, "tell me everything you know about Yorkies". Her husband wanted to buy my nieces a Yorkie they saw at a pet store this evening for $1200.  I freaked out!  Well, I talked them out of getting the dog at the pet store.  Now, I have the task of finding them a non-pet store dog.  They have never had a dog before and don't have a fence.  My nieces are 12 and 13 and are very very responsible girls.  My sister is a Stay at home mom so she would be home with the dog during the day.  I also talked to her about why a yorkie and basically got out of her that the breed itself doesn't matter, she just wants a very small dog (10 lb or smaller) that doesn't shed a lot.

Any suggestions/ideas, breeders you know of, etc.

Thanks!

• Gold Top Dog

Good thing they were talked out of a petstore! They have LOADS of health problems...

Shih tzus, poms, maltese, poodles - all small, low shedding. Remember - yorkies are TERRIERS... crazy little things! What kinds of things are they looking to do with the dog? As first time doggy owners - I'd advise an older dog - maybe 10months - 1 year if they are looking for younger. Smaller dogs are much harder to train...so it seems.

• Gold Top Dog

Honestly I think usually a "very small dog" is a mistake -- people equate it with "less work" and it's not -- and girls that age likely will lose interest in a dog that can't go with them and "do stuff" (other than ride in their purse). 

The ASPCA has a GREAT book "Guide to Dogs" -- and it gives a great thumbnail of breeds and some of the health-related problems.  so many tiny dogs have SEVERE health-related problems.

Talk to them and find out what the hot buttons are -- shedding?  that lets out a lot -- but ones that don't shed require GROOMING. 

Are the girls at all interested in dog athletics?  That's stuff they may want to DO (rally, agility, flyball, etc.).  Are they involved in anything like GirlScouts, FFA ANYTHING?? 

A "small" dog is completely different than a tiny dog -- but people truly have this completely erroneous thot that a small dog is "less work" -- and it's not true.  Also -- small dogs can sometimes be far barkier ... they NEED obedience and generally don't get it.

Educate them on the different breed categories -- and the basic personality behind that -- terriers are NOT for everyone.  Companion dogs are different -- what do they WANT a dog **FOR**??  That's a legitimate question and one you'll only know the answer to after you talk to them.

• Gold Top Dog

Answers to some of the questions posed:

1.  My sister wants to minimize the shedding.  She not opposed to it, but just doesn't want a high shedding dog.  The amount Charlie sheds is OK for her.  She does know that the dog will need grooming.  Does anyone have a price range I could give her. 

2.  Costs.  That is one of the things I am helping her collect is all of the costs associated with owning a dog.  She is telling the girls if they get a dog they will have to contribute half of the costs so she wants me to help her develop a list of the costs.  I know about vet, food, etc.  But have no idea about grooming since Charlie doesn't go and we do his nails at home.

3.  I warned her about the Terrier thing.  That is why she is opening her mind to other dogs.

4.  Size.  My sister was attacked by a large dog when we were young so frankly she is scared of bigger dogs.  Charlie is about the max for her, although she would want something smaller.  She is aware of the walking/exercising thing since she and her girls have helped us out with Charlie when we have been gone, etc.

5.  Training - again, anyone have any cost estimates on this.  When we got Charlie I traded private obedience lessions with a dog trainer in our neighborhood for cooking lessons so they were free.

6.  My 13 year old niece is into soccer and my 12 year old niece (they are only 10.5 months apart - yeah my sister is nuts) is into dance, singing, etc.  They are both very very intelligent (Katie was hand selected by her school district to go to the inauguration this past January) and very good girls.  They are very responsible.  They both babysit for me for Riley and/or Charlie and I trust them completely.  They have wanted a dog for 3 years and my sister is just now starting to think about it.  Her DH is the one that is ready to make a snap decision - which she's put a halt to until she/I can do the research.

7.  Age - She would prefer to not get a puppy, but a little bit older, yet young dog.  I was also thinking about a 1 year old and she is fine with that.

• Gold Top Dog

Just have her go to petfinder.com or petango.com and start searching! lots of great dogs out there - sounds like she wants to keep her options open, and I'm sure they will stumble across the perfect dog for them since they are willing to work for it.

Grooming can cost from $30+ each time you go in. $30 is the average I've seen down here - not sure what that compares to your area, but I would think it'd be around the same.

• Gold Top Dog

I can help with costs, at least in our area.  We had Angel groomed today.  She's around 20 lbs.  It cost me $40.  Her beginners obedience class is a 6 week class that costs $142.

Have they considered adopting a shelter dog?  My grandparents adopted Angel when she was between 4-5 months old.  She's a "doodle" but all in all, she's a very sweet, smart, loving dog. 

• Gold Top Dog

Yes, they would definitely consider adopting a shelter dog...my BIL especially when he learned he almost spent $1200 bucks when he could get one from a shelter/rescue for a fraction of that.

• Gold Top Dog

I do have to disagree on the small dogs being unable to go places. Small dogs are, regardless of size, still dogs and can do, within reason, whatever larger breeds can do. Jules walked a nightly 3+ miles for years. Both he and Grimm can play and go for hours if you want them to.  Long hikes, walks, trips, have never been an issue. Even Ginger, who is 12, can keep up with the big dogs within reason. (I'm sure in her younger days she'd have been able to go a lot longer)

Small dogs do agility, rally, obedience and the like..even the tiny ones. In fact, when I did obedience with my Basset, the tiniest dog in the club (a 2-3 lb yorkie) was quite a successful agility dog.  It was before the MACH title, but she had the highest title before that.  (not an agility person, so I don't know these things Stick out tongue

And while I know they exist, I've yet to meet a small dog who rides around in a purseStick out tongue

I think a small dog would be lovely for a family with kids of those ages.  I had my first dog, a Peke mix, when I was 14 and she was a great little dog who was up for doing anything I wanted. Long walks, hikes (her favorite was balancing across a log that crossed a stream), etc..she had a fun time doing it all. You can find pretty much any breed you want in shelters, so perhaps have them peruse petfinder, or visit some local shelters as a family.

• Gold Top Dog

grab01
    And while I know they exist, I've yet to meet a small dog who rides around in a purseStick out tongue

Well you didn't know MY Prissy (pom/peke mix) -- she rode on my shoulder, she rode in my purse, anywhere else that meant "GO" -- but she WAS trained.    Not formal obedience per se (this was 37 years ago) but she would have passed her CGC in a heartbeat if there had been such a thing then.  She taught me most of what I know about pet therapy *smile* -- in fact, come to think of it, she taught me most of what I DO know about dogs.  It took her nearly 21 years to "educate" me *sigh*.

And yes -- as long as this woman is realistic about the difference between small  vs. tiny dogs (we are talking about someone who almost bought from a pet store here -- I wasn't assuming much level of "saavy";) it's no problem.  But people DO have this mistaken concept that somehow a small dog is less work -- and that's just plain *wrong*.  They equate large dogs with 'training' and small dogs with 'fun' -- and they ALL need to be trained.

In certain parts of the country it can be darned near impossible to get a SMALL dog at a shelter.  However -- especially since she's expressed interest in a "not a puppy" dog ... yes, Petfinder or breed rescue could be awesome (and they KNOW those dogs generally -- and usually they've been vetted so you get a pretty good idea of what that dog likes and IS like).

Of course I love pugs (gee, ya think??) but *sigh* they can be HEAVY shedders.  But ... gee, at my house we just assume it's fairy dust -- but that's not gonna fly with most folks (grin). 

This is one of my all time favorite books:  http://www.amazon.com/ASPCA-Complete-Guide-Dogs-Aspc/dp/0811819043/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1249187355&sr=1-1 -- it's such a common sense book ... VERY realistic about breeds and what to expect from them.  And it's got pictures in between each breed group of what dogs look like that are "Mixes" of those breeds -- that can be super helpful in looking for a shelter dog.

But even reading the AKC pages on breeds -- and breed rescue pages on a breed.  Things like "yorkies can be hard to housetrain" (and boy, so can pugs) -- can help give them success when they DO decide on a dog. 

There is NOTHING wrong with a small dog (I am truly a small dog person at heart) -- as long as it really is what fits for someone.  My Prissy was a little street stray that I literally pulled off the street after she'd been pushed out of a moving car. And heck yeah -- she rode in my purse -- not as an accessory.  *grin*  But I snuck her in anywhere I COULD ... movies?  No problem (until someone sat down next to her with popcorn -- *grin* and no we didn't get thrown out -- her sweet little beady black eyes convinced him to SHARE).

Another really good option is to see if they can get involved in a local rescue - just attending a few adoption days is an eye-opening experience.  Can help them get their feet wet and figure out if there is a particular TYPE of rescue they want to get involved with -- it may make them really passionate about rescue.  There is NOTHING better than a turned-on teenager about helping organizations.  It gives them something to DO and can make a huge difference in their lives. 

In other words -- hopefully you can get the girls involved in "what is best for US" --

• Gold Top Dog

I haven't read the replies yet, but here is my first thought.  What they need to know about Yorkies, is that they are Yorkshire Terriers.  TERRIERS.

You've probably seen them with long hair and ribbons and what not - don't let this foo-foo appearance fool you.  They are terriers to the bone.  People assume "oh they are little, they don't need much exercise".  Wrong!  They have been bred for generations to work, so they need plenty of exercise and they need to DO STUFF.  You may luck out, but don't assume you'll end up with a dog happy to sleep on the couch all day.  Plus, they have been bred for generations to work independantly, without help or intervention from a handler.  This means that they are not "easy" dogs to train.  They are not, by default, handler-orientated.  They have their own agenda.

I love Yorkies!  I have met lots and lots of "horrible" little yorkies, but I honestly believe that in many cases it's simply because people think they are just little companion dogs and don't give them the training and stimulation they need as a tough, busy, independant, sassy little working dog.

My sister got a yorkie for her neighbour when his Chi passed away.  What the old gentleman wanted and needed was a lap dog - and an older one at that, one he could keep up with!  Charlie was on the go all day, ran rings round him and started acting out from boredom and frustration.  Charlie was sold, and last I heard, he was doing great in his new home with a young, active family who kept him really busy and the neighbour got another senior chihuahua who is much better suited to his household.  What I'm trying to say is....  Yorkies are super little dogs, if you remember what they are.

• Gold Top Dog

Half the costs associated with a dog??? Isn't that a lot for a couple of kids?

In general, around here, it's $35-45 for a small dog, in good condition, to be groomed. If you let it go too long, and the coat is tangled, most groomers charge extra.

And small dogs definitely do everything big dogs doWink Ena's gotten a perfect Rally score, kicking the fluffy butts of all the goldens and BCs in the ring, and Emma's beaten them on time, alone. They swim at the beach, and run, and play, and go for long walks, and are a ton of fun. I thought of Papillions, because they're atheletes, super trainable, very cute, and don't shed a ton, but really, a Poodle would fit just as easily, or a young, healthy, mixed breed.

• Gold Top Dog

jennie_c_d
    Half the costs associated with a dog??? Isn't that a lot for a couple of kids?

I think she is just trying to make a point with them to see how willing they are.

• Gold Top Dog

I've met more than a few beagles who are very very nice and saw on what's-that-show "Breed All About It" that they're good family dogs(I can believe it!), what about a small beagle *if* they're interested in getting their yard fenced? Short coats means low maintenence, they're pretty smart, would probably do well with kids... other than that, I'd say maybe a min-pin from a good breeder or shelter.

• Gold Top Dog

Sounds like a Bichon Frise or Bichon mix would be ideal for them. All the ones I've met are friendly, low manitenance and are of course hypoallergenic. My cousin has one and she is a sweet heart. I will say, though, that a Min Pin would probably NOT be a good choice for them. They're active, demanding and VERY terrier like. I know first hand. MAYBE a MUCH older Min Pin would be okay (like 8 years +), but they want a younger dog. Penny will be 6 in October and she is still a spit fire.

• Gold Top Dog

Never thought I'd say this but honestly I've had pleasant experiences with every Shih Tzu I've met and if I ever got a very small, low shedding family dog it would be a Shih Tzu (most of the ones I know were shaved/trimmed in a "pet" trim so there is no high maintenance coat unless that's what you want).  They are very smart, easy to train and seem to be pretty even keel as far as exercise and energy.