Warm climate breeds??

• Gold Top Dog

Warm climate breeds??

Just curious....What breed of dog does well in a warm climate? I *think* Chi's and Greyhound's, Whippets, Italian Greyhound's do...but that's all I can think of.

I'm not saying which breed after vigorously exercising in hot weather will be OK or anything. Just breeds that *don't die* when it's above 80 degrees.

When it's above 80 degrees Apollo is looking to sprawl out on tile or go swimming.

• Gold Top Dog

There's plenty of GSDs, SchH clubs, and GSD breeders in hot places like Florida and the rest of the deep south.  As long as they are not overworked I think the breed is versatile as far as climate.

• Gold Top Dog

Really? I would've thought with their thick fur they'd be similar to a Lab when it comes to hot weather. Both my Labs (both black) die all summer unless they're swimming, or in A/C, or on tile or in a cool basement.

The GSD really is one the most versatile breeds, huh?

• Gold Top Dog

Dobes, & doxies do really well in our hot, humid weather.  The boxers, well not so much...

• Gold Top Dog

Dogs with a short, double coat provided they aren't black dogs. The double coat gives them a bit of insulation. Kelpies and ACDs were both bred for working in hot, Australian conditions and they both have double coats.

My mother and I talked about this one day in relation to our three dogs. We have one black one with a double coat, one black one with a single coat, and one brown one with a coat somwhere in between if that is possible. We agreed that the brown one with the short, moderately thick coat coped the best, followed by the black dog with the double coat followed by the black dog with the single coat. They would all go under the house on a hot day and the black one with the double coat would feel the coolest when they came out. Double coats can be quite useful in warm climates as well as cool climates.

I strongly believe that colour plays a significant role. I had Kivi out on a warm day with a Samoyed and the Sammi definately was cooler than Kivi (who is black). They were about the same size and weight and have a very similar thickness of coat.

• Gold Top Dog

Sometimes I think it has to do with individual dogs and their environment. Dogs kept in AC often seem to get hot quicker outside in the heat. Drivey dogs tend to be willing to work regardless of weather - which could get them in trouble if their handler isn't careful.

My Belgians are hairy black dogs but they like to hang around outside most of the day, even in the summer. Jagger is a very heavy coated dog and he certainly gets hot but is also always willing todo stuff.

Another consideration for dogs in sunny places is lack of pigment, especially in shorter haired breeds. Our corgi is a "mismark" and a "dudley" which means he has an almost all white head and liver imstead of black pigment. His nose will sunburn and he is very squinty when out in the sun. Such a dog IMO is much less suited to being outside in sunny places than a dark colored dog.Also while whippets and greys tend to do well in heat, the color can be an issue in them too. The white or mostly white ones will get sunburn in multiple places due to how very thin their coat is.

• Gold Top Dog

My corgi, a red-headed tri, easily gets hot, but is always willing to do some work or exercise in the blazing sun.

• Gold Top Dog

Surprisingly weims don't do so well in the heat... mine totally lay around looking miserable, when it cools of they perk up and are ready to go alllll day.  They sound like Apollo, swimming, or sprawled out on the wood floor when it's hot!

• Gold Top Dog

AgileGSD

Sometimes I think it has to do with individual dogs and their environment. Dogs kept in AC often seem to get hot quicker outside in the heat. Drivey dogs tend to be willing to work regardless of weather - which could get them in trouble if their handler isn't careful.

Ah, yes.  Perhaps this is why my dogs generally do OK whether it's -20 and snowy or 95 and humid.  They love snow regardless of the temp indoors, and we've never had AC so it's as hot inside as it is outside, and at least outside there is cool cement, buckets of water, the hose, damp grass, etc.  They are generally good at pacing themselves and I try to keep bellies and feet wet in the heat.  When we're at the lake they go in up to their bellies every hour or so on their own.  I have to be more careful with pacing Nikon because of the drive, especially the ball drive.  He would fetch until he dropped dead.  It's not that he doesn't get hot, he just doesn't care.

• Gold Top Dog

I think part of it is the environment the dog is raised in and the individual dog.  We had a cairn terrier when we lived up north (Minnesota & South Dakota) who loved his walks year round.  He hiked, camped, and swam in lakes with us. When he was 12 we moved to Texas.  He could not take the heat at all.  He seemed to miss cold weather.  He seemed to gradually go downhill and 2 years later he died.  I feel part of his decline was due to the climate change.

We got a cairn 9 months later and today's he's 11.  He is way more adapted to heat than our first cairn.  He will run and run in the back yard, but he knows he can jump into his wading pool anytime to cool off.  He does enjoy colder weather though.  He loves to swim as well.  I miss, though, the ability to take him anywhere anytime due to Texas heat.  It was much easier up north to bring our dog most anywhere with us.

I think a double coat helps keep a dog's skin safe from the sun.  Our first cairn was wheaten.  Our current one is black/brindle.  The goof will lay in the sun til he's panting and then go to the shade or his pool.

Many people have long-coated breeds in Texas.  I guess individuals of most any breed can adapt.  I have seen short-haired dogs here that do not seem to have enough hair to give enough sun protection.  Interesting topic!

• Gold Top Dog

Ridgebacks seem to be pretty good. Wyatt enjoys sprawling out in the sun. I guess they probably are supposed to do well in hot climates, seeing as they're from zimbabwe.

• Gold Top Dog

Legend made the move fine from IL to AZ. And Aesop does fine as well. He's an indoor dog, where he hangs out in the AC (from about April onward, as it gets hot early) but does fine when he's playing in the yard with Grimm

• Gold Top Dog

i would avoid the breeds with the squashed faces. even certain "types" of American bulldogs will over heat and drop dead without even excerting themselves. and yes, it depends on the condition the dog is already in. doesnt have to be over weight to suffer from heat exhaustion either, if its not used to it.

• Gold Top Dog

I think it all depends on what the dog is used to - temp wise. We have lots of different breeds in my area... I see huskies, shephers, labs, etc running around at the park in summer - and they do fine, but they are used to the temps.

Some breeds are more prone to overheating more quickly - like your bulldogs and pugs - but that seems to have more to do with their breathing (watch for the tounge curl).

Greyhounds really don't handle heat very well - they need to be monitored closely when they are outside in the summer.

• Gold Top Dog

erica1989

Greyhounds really don't handle heat very well - they need to be monitored closely when they are outside in the summer.

See now I thought they did OK because they have such little body fat.