What do you know about Dalmations?

• Gold Top Dog

kle1986

Hey now I have a Dal/lab/chow mix. She is far from dumb.

I know not all of them are! Maybe it's just my luck. LOL. She was also my Pet Store puppy, that I "rescued" when I was 11-ish. The Dal. that bit me was a very very smart boy!

• Gold Top Dog

I have only met 2. One was fabulous...friendly, outgoing and active.

The other one was friendly with people, but it was at the dog park and she was highly protective of her water bowl. If another dog got within a few feet of her bowl she would go after it. Not a lot of help, i know but they seem like really cool dogs. Not to mention gorgeous.

• Gold Top Dog
    One of my good friends had three dals when we were in high school. One was completely deaf, and I believe they were all rescues. They were gorgeous and very active of course. A bit independent for my tastes, but they were pretty cool dogs.
    • Gold Top Dog

I only had one temporarily, but it certainly was a fun 10 months with her! She was incredibly intelligent - probably the most intelligent dog we've ever had. She was extremely energetic, but only when warranted. In the house she was pretty calm, and just chewed on her toys here and there. Outside, she was non-stop for hours. Sky was definitely my mom's dog. She didn't care a whole lot for anyone else in the family. I mean, she liked us and all, but my mom was her world. She was very sensitive and wasn't very forgiving if someone did something she didn't like. Not sure what happened b/w her and my Dad, but Sky hated him. Probably because he and my mom weren't getting along at the time. She wanted nothing to do with him whatsoever. She shed a lot. Dalmatians are apparently notorious for being one of the worst shedding breeds out there, and Sky definitely lived up to that! She was very protective of the home and the family. She was by no means aggressive though. She liked everyone, though she was a bit reserved with strangers. She was a fantastic dog, but a lot of time and energy went into making her that way. Dals definitely need a very committed owner. I absolutely love the breed, and really want to have another someday. A liver female.

• Gold Top Dog

orangedog

She shed a lot. Dalmatians are apparently notorious for being one of the worst shedding breeds out there, and Sky definitely lived up to that!

So, basically my house would be covered in black and white hairs. I mean, right now it's just covered in black Big Smile

• Gold Top Dog

Like most of the people who've commented, I've had mixed experiences with them. I've seen them doing obedience and rally. They're very smart, animated, beautiful to look at, and a lot of fun. I've known obese, pet Dals, as well. Some were really sweet lumps of dog, and some were scary as all heck.

They look fantastic in red, LOL. I love a Dal with red toenails and a red collar or bandana!  I think that they're probably just.... really smart dogs that need a lot of stimulation. The ones I've known that were bad were NOT given enough attention or training. 

• Gold Top Dog

jennie_c_d

I think that they're probably just.... really smart dogs that need a lot of stimulation. The ones I've known that were bad were NOT given enough attention or training. 

That's exactly what I was thinking after reading more about them. They have a ton of energy and stamina, plus they're very intelligent, and don't like to be home for long periods of time. And if a dog needs all that (and then some) with a family that can't give it to them it's just a recipe for disaster (IMO).

• Gold Top Dog

Agreed. I have a PRT who is calm and collected. She's just given a job, good food, and some exersize. It's another breed that became popular through tv, and isn't right for a family that doesn't have a lot of time to put into the dog.

• Gold Top Dog

Exactly- and Dals are BRED for endurance. The amount of exercise that they seem to need to really be TIRED really rivals most of the MOST intense BCs I know. The thing is, repetitive stuff like ball playing? Not going to do it for most of them. :P

• Gold Top Dog

I recall an old ad for Pedigree Chum that had dalmations on it.  The person on it (the "top breeder" who was recommending the food) said how they had to get up at 5am or something and take them for a LOOOONG run every single morning, that the dogs just seemed to NEVER tire.... That is an image of Dalmations that has stuck with me.  Dark cold mornings, alarm going off when every sensible person is asleep, then bundled up to the eyeballs and following LONG muddy trails in an almost futile attempt to wear out these never-tiring, totally gorgeous dogs. 

I think Weight is an issue with the breed - purely because I have seen so many horribly over weight Dalmations - this says to me that perhaps those people aren't giving the dogs enough exercise - maybe they are just giving them the exercise they would give a "normal" dog?  Maybe a Dal is wired differently, with a different metabolism - he NEEDS that exercise, not just to stop him tearing up your house, but to stop him practically blowing up like a balloon and suffering heart disease, joint problems and diabetes? 

• Gold Top Dog

A lot of PRTs are fat, too. Emma is fat from it.... She eats what the package recomends for a dog her size, but she is far, far, far more active than a regular house dog. She doesn't spend her days lounging. She's up and about almost all day long. She's just an easy keeper, and that's common, in this breed. She wasn't, when she was younger.

Maybe a lot of Dals are easy keepers, too? I know a wonderful, oversized, Pit Bull who gets obese on more than a cup of quality food a day, and he's always well exersized. Just doesn't need much to eat.

• Gold Top Dog

We have two Dals in Shooter's latest obedience class.  They are both very friendly, outgoing dogs, with tons of personality.  They are very active, & I know that one of the owners is struggling to satisfy her dog's exercise needs. 

I will say that both of these dogs, who are not related, are seizure dogs.  I'm not sure if seizures are common in the breed, or if this is just a freak occurence. 

• Gold Top Dog

My only experience with Dalmations was when I was probably 11 years old or so and went away to a church camp/retreat thingy.  The family who owned the property and ran the camp had 3 Dals that were allowed to run around loose and interact with all the kids.  From what I recall, they were friendly enough, but a little aloof.  They'd follow groups of us kids (accompanied by camp leaders) around the property, into the woods, on trail walks, etc. but still somewhat kept to themselves.  They weren't "in-your-face" friendly.  They would tolerate some petting, but didn't seek it out.  They basically just seemed rather indifferent towards us campers (which disappointed me, LOL).  I'm sure they were probably different with their owners.

I've always thought the breed was pretty.

• Gold Top Dog

Dal's do have to have a job. The Dal that bit me was penned up in a kennel 24/7 and never taken out for exersize. Along with the fact that he was an intact male, and I was feeding him his dinner. I'm not suprised I was biten - it's bound to happen sometime. My uncle wanted to shoot him, I told him No. He's a dog, he didn't know me, and I had food.

• Gold Top Dog

OT, but I don't see how that is normal behaviour for a dog of ANY breed.