Bedlington terriers

• Gold Top Dog

Bedlington terriers

They are the sweetest dogs! I met one at a dog show and it was alllll kisses and jumping. I never really liked their appearance much...but they are so sweet I would love to have one!

Does anyone here have one, or know one? I'd love to see pics (:

how cute is this face?!

[IMG]http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff1/Moments-to-Midnight/20030820140008_154255_1.jpg[/IMG]

• Gold Top Dog

Yeah they are neat little dogs. The appearance might be odd but since they are a hunting breed the mohawk it protects them from getting a tooth through the head. 

This one was really awesome looking and acting. He took group placement I think every time I watched him show. He also killed the neighbors Chow, I feel bad for the Chow but I guess that is what happens if the owners are irresponsible to let it run loose to someone else's place. It just kind of shows that for a small dog they can handle a lot, being attacked by a bigger breed.

• Silver

Well they are cute, but I have never had a good impression from a Bedlington before.  When our one Airedale was in show classes, there was a Bedlington breeder who's dogs tried a couple of times to take a chunk out of our dog.  Plus after talking to several other Terrier people who didn't think highly of the breed either, we basically have put the Bedlington into our list of dog breeds who are cute (as puppies), but would never have one. 

• Gold Top Dog

only beddies i know are working dogs from the UK and not a one of them look like the one in the pic above lol

fox hunting beddie 

more working beddies at a show during the 90s

more recent pic

some old ones, one in middle lived to be 16. the smooth dog is supposed to be a whippet/greyhound X Bedlington?greyhound.

and this one (picture is too large to post here) is a KC registered dog that is also being started in hunting... i think.

in case you're wondering.... i'm stealing these pics from a hunting/working dog forum lol i could post more but that thread went 82 pages long!!! PM me if you'd like to read it.

and yes i would love to some day own a beddie. and yes it would be a hunting dog. and i wouldnt even mind keeping it in the foofoo hairdoo during the off season lol 

• Gold Top Dog

If I ever get a small terrier it will be a Patterdale or a Cairn....sassy lil guys but not mean. Patterdales are so spunky!

• Gold Top Dog

lol i like pats too. they also use them for fox and other "vermin" so dont let their size fool ya!

as much as i hate to say it, i like the Jagdterrier and Plummer.... seems a lot of controversy surrounds the plummer and i cant get a straight answer as to why except the man who founded the breed was a school teacher.... when i did ask why, out in the open the thread was shut down before anyone could answer me. so um.. yeah lol

also, here's a site about the terriers still used for hunting and ground work today.

warning though, at the bottom are some pics of the terriers with the quarry, not to mention some are rather roughed up from doing their jobs. so if you dont like the looks of a working terrier in working condition then you'd be best not to click on it. 

back OT though. Beddies have always been on my list of dogs i would love to own some day. they're just awesome to look at and watch work, not to mention their history.

but i'm noticing that they have the same problem that pit bulls and amstaffs have.... there is a bench dog and a field dog. one has strict breeding and bloodlines and the other is bred worker to worker with the occasional outcross. 

outcrosses dont bother me in the slightest because i am only interested in the function of the dog. 

• Gold Top Dog

Patterdales are neat.  If we lose the bullies to BSL, we have the option of going to breeds like them for similar gameness and tenacity.  I was watching some crossbred cattle dogs working this weekend and it sure would be a shame to lose that.  I'll post those pictures later.

Well, I opened the wrong reply option and I can't browse while I type.  Piffle.  I have some links to Bedlintons herding, believe it or not.  Or I think I can find them.  I'll post them if I can find them. 

• Gold Top Dog

Nope, sorry, it was Kerry Blues.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-lSJkC3LQQ

The whippet cross is a lurcher.   Very popular overseas, as you know.  A rabbit hunter, I'm guessing? 

• Gold Top Dog

brookcove
    The whippet cross is a lurcher.   Very popular overseas, as you know.  A rabbit hunter, I'm guessing? 

Yes, very popular here and yes, originally bred to poach rabbits.  I'm not really sure how much they are used for hunting these days, I know I see a lot of them around which are "just" pets.  

It looks to me like the Bedlington is another one of those breeds with a big show/working difference. I've only ever seen one show Bedlington (at Crufts) but it looked nothing like those pics of working ones.   

• Gold Top Dog

Wow thanks for all the info and pics!

Does anyone know of a good breeder or rescue in the MidWest? I'm becoming more and more interested in the breed....

• Gold Top Dog

Benedict

brookcove

Yes, very popular here and yes, originally bred to poach rabbits.  I'm not really sure how much they are used for hunting these days, I know I see a lot of them around which are "just" pets.  

the "just pets" thing is translated as "pre-ban" in the hunting forum.... i dont want to cause problems for lurcher owners, but yes they still work them. Confused  but mostly on bunnies and rats. though there are some who probably do more than that.

BTW, the majority of those beddie pics ARE preban. 

• Gold Top Dog

corgichick

Wow thanks for all the info and pics!

Does anyone know of a good breeder or rescue in the MidWest? I'm becoming more and more interested in the breed....

this was all i found. http://bedlingtonamerica.com/referral/mw.htm

now i'm curious if there are even breeders in my area worth looking at

:D if i had my druthers i would import one! 

• Gold Top Dog

Wow I'd never heard of a Plummer Terrier. What lil savages!

• Gold Top Dog

the one at the bottom of the page, with the fox..... lol the size comparison is astounding to say the least. i almost wonder if that dog only "helped" in hunting the fox. the pic suggests he took it single handed! 

• Gold Top Dog
    Love the awesome photos!