Are personalities a good way...

• Gold Top Dog
    chelsea_b
    Maybe I'll just call her chow/kelpie and get on with life. haha.

Or you could make up a breed :)

Ya know, Pirate's an elusive Greater Smyrnan Dune Terrier.

• Gold Top Dog

Ticking is incompletely dominant.  Here's a Border Collie female with heavy ticking (similar to an ACD):

">

And her pups, one ticked, two not:

One of the ticked puppies:

One of the clear:

Also, ticking only expresses in white.  The white is controlled by a different set of alleles.  Another pup from the above female was mostly black, with heavy ticking in his minimal white areas.   Another was very classically marked, with clear white.

If she's mixed with chow, she could also very well be a Border Collie mix.  No reason why not.

To answer the original question, I go very much by personalities.  There is no "look" that we can go by with Border Collies (obviously) - so identifying a dog with Border Collie heritage almost entirely rests on behavior.  It's almost a free for all with mixed breeds, since the purebred gene pool is so diverse anyway.  In rescue the game becomes one of identifying purebreds. 

I had a dog last year that had papers, even, but clearly was a mix that probably had no Border Collie at all - based on his approach to sheep and interactions with my livestock guardian dogs, he was a Pyrenees for sure, and possibly collie or English Shepherd with his very upright herding stance and task-oriented, individual attentive behavior. 

Being able to put a dog on sheep gives me a leg up on many rescuers as only Kelpies in the whole wide world, come close to working like a BC. I've also had experience working many other breeds for comparision so I can not only say, "That's not a BC," but also in a positive sense, "He works like an Aussie" or a Catahoula, or an ACD, or a Rottweiller.

Edited to add:  I do believe that there is some importance in understanding the makeup of your dog - but you really have to unravel their personality before you can get to the point of relating their behavior to a particular breed anyway.  And you have to have a very thorough understanding of the breed to which you are making reference.  In the case of the above dog, training was quite frustrating until I discovered the key - he required a "working" relationship through twice daily patrols of the property.  Before we started doing that together, I couldn't even get him to come when called.  He was a great one for doing the huge zoomie act.  Even that now I know is a Pyrenees thing - their way of playing - they love to play "keep away."  After a week or so of the walks, it was like throwing a switch on his personality and willingness to be trained.

• Gold Top Dog

brookcove

If she's mixed with chow, she could also very well be a Border Collie mix.  No reason why not.

i'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks this. her attitude reminds me a little of my stepmom's aunt's old border collie. pure bred... vicious, spiteful, untrustworthy with strangers, but loved loved loved her family.... and only those three members of the family and their cats. no one else. the dog had to be locked in the garage when there was company because she was a liability. and her attitude got worse with age.

now..... they said she was a border collie but i dont know if she was pure bred or just an odd ball, but the one time i saw her - at a distance - she was hairless(skin condition) but completely black from head to toe.

also do you have any pics of Cherokee when she was younger? 

• Gold Top Dog

Younger, yeah, but not a pup. I got her when she was around a year old.

This is the best I can do at the moment.. apparently I have no pictures on this computer from in between when we FIRST got her, and when she was 4...

Right after my sister rescued her (she was 10 or 11 months, I think), when her coat was all sun damaged, and she had weird leg fringe (and a solid black face! that didn't last long lol):

When she was around 4 1/2 (gray beard already, but no gray anywhere else):

• Gold Top Dog

thats all i need to see lol i'd say she's either a mix of ACD or BC with some lab/pit. the pic of her facing the cam. in the snow she has an expression that my bulldog often makes.. and besides the colour, they look alike lol

the eye slant could either be ACD or pit too.... 

thats just what i see. she reminds me a bit of the dog down the road. no one knows what he is. he just showed up, skin and bones, and the neighbours took pity on him. they think he's a Chocolate Lab mix.... but i doubt it. he is brownish....  

and yeah i know he has a weird tail. its his tail that makes me believe he is part ACD... that and while his coat is short and thick... he has a FEW long hairs around his hears. they stand out like the whiskers on his nose...  

but... yes he reminds me a bit of Cherokee in the younger pics of her. its funny with dogs.... or i think it is anyway... when they are too young you cant tell what they are... and when they are too old.... you cant tell what they are either lol

its easier if you can know the dog in all stages of its life..... but middle age is a good way to tell if thats all you have to go on.