What breed of dog for me? *Thanks for all the help, we have decided*

• Gold Top Dog

Liesje

How about a Schipperke?  If I ever get a little dog, I'm getting one of those!  An acquaintance has one that has over 88 different titles on her name!  I call her the "mini-German Shepherd (without a tail)"

Pretty sure Schipperke is Flemish for "tiny Belgian Sheepdog"  Wink

• Gold Top Dog

agilebasenji

Liesje

How about a Schipperke?  If I ever get a little dog, I'm getting one of those!  An acquaintance has one that has over 88 different titles on her name!  I call her the "mini-German Shepherd (without a tail)"

Pretty sure Schipperke is Flemish for "tiny Belgian Sheepdog"  Wink

Pshaw, same difference!  :)

• Gold Top Dog

I have a corgi, who loves horses! She is very attached to me , but can easily be by herself. Corgis are great dogs, I'm sorry you met some you didn't like. I thought everyone loved corgis.Smile 

• Silver

Honestly, for the amount of time you expect the puppy to be happy on its own, I don't think any breed of puppy would be appropriate. They all need way too much attention. If you are not willing to think of an older (I mean well past puppyhood, as in middle aged or senior) dog, then I think you should not get one at this time. Your lifestyle is just not compatible with puppy raising.

• Gold Top Dog

A Sheltie. So calm and nice.

Norwich Terrier.

Westie. Energetic and love hunting and running.

Wire Fox Terrier.

American Eskimo(all sizes).

Border Terrier.

• Gold Top Dog
    Just chiming in to say papillons are possibly the most attached breed to its people. And they are NOT lap dogs, nor are they calm or 'mellow'. they have a reputation for being the 'border collies of the toy world' and it's for good reason. They're active, very clingy dogs that need a lot of time and stimulation. They are without a doubt NOT a lap dog (most the time) and not for someone who doesn't want to invest a lot of time into being with the dog. They ARE however great for someone who wants a lively, intelligent (super intelligent) outgoing, happy, velcro type dog.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Also, I wouldn't really call shelties 'calm and nice'.
    • Gold Top Dog

Laurelin_429
    Also, I wouldn't really call shelties 'calm and nice'.

No, me either! They are great dogs - for active people. I know a few that Casey is friends with - and boy do those pups love to run and herd!!!

• Gold Top Dog

My first thought on reading JUST the original post is: what do your horses think of dogs?  If you have horses that are very spooked by dogs I don't think it would matter hugely how well behaved the dog is.  The dog is a predator, the horse is a prey animal.  Some horses freak out over a paper bag in the wrong place.

My second thought is:  You don't need a puppy.  A puppy takes waaaay too much time and effort to train, and I am guessing the horses already take up a fair chunk of your time.  Also, a puppy would not be able to run with you until much later.  A puppy is also more high energy and more likely to become bored, destructive and noisy, regardless of breed.  Training a puppy will take longer than the summer I'm afraid.  And when you think you've cracked it, along comes adolesence and you realise there is still some way to go!  A young adult - perhaps 2 or 3 years old - would be best IMO.  With the added advantage that they should already have some grounding in housetraining (although you are best off treating them like a tiny puppy until they realise the rules about pottying are the same in your house as elsewhere, ie lots of supervision, lots of wee breaks, lots of praise and treats and play when they get it right).

My third thought is, you need a dog at the higher end of your weight range (less likelihood of devastating injury should a horse put a hoof wrong) and one whose history is KNOWN.  I think you are RIGHT to avoid shelters, unless there are any dogs there that are "owner surrenders", although even then the owner may not have been 100% truthful about the dog's history.  A breeder's dog, an ex-show dog who has had some "experience" around horses would be ideal.  But failing that, a known "bomb proof dog", one who takes most things in his stride and who the breeder thinks would quickly acclimate to the horses without too much fuss would be OK, maybe one who has lived on a farm and is known to be well behaved around other animals?

I'm going to have a think about actual breeds and come back later.... But I think age, size and personality are going to be more deciding factors than the breed itself.  However, I would rule out most hounds and herding dogs.

OK - edit - you want a "small dog".  Most small dogs are either terriers or toy dogs. 

Terriers are working dogs, they are small and hardy and they are a little independant too (you said you didnt want a dog taht was 2super attached to you";)  But yes they CAN be yappy and badly behaved - if not trained and adequately stimulated.  Mind you, the same goes for any dog!  "Terriers" and "calm" rarely go in the same sentence.

On the other hand we have toy dogs, lap dogs.  Dogs that have been bred for generations JUST for companionship.  Dogs taht WIL be super attached to you! 

If you are insistent on getting a small dog you have two choices:

Either get a toy/lap dog and sacrifice some "horse time" for the dog in order for him to thrive.

Or get a terrier and sacrifice some horse time to ensure he gets all the physical and mental stimulation the dog needs so that he is as "calm" and well behaved as you want him to be.  If you were willing to do that I would pick a Staffordshire bull terrier, or a cairn terrier or a Jack Russel.  I have a cairn and he is not yappy or badly behaved, nor is he a "velcro dog".  I think a dog like him would fit you pretty well, provided he got plenty of exercise and play to keep him calm and content.

You can't have your cake and eat it unfortunately!

If you were happy to let your parents take on the dog as the main carers and you just help out, and if your parents were OK with that, then you can still spend as much time with your horse and have the dog too.  You could even get a puppy.  But that really isn't the same as having a dog yourself and if you were to go that route you may as well wait a couple of years and consider a dog again in the future. 

• Gold Top Dog

Laurelin_429
    they have a reputation for being the 'border collies of the toy world'

Oh gosh, don't tell me this!!!  Crying   I've really, really, really been wanting a papillion, but I keep telling myself all the bad toy dog things to keep me away.  Brains and active????  Oh boy......  Confused  I'm sunk.

• Gold Top Dog

No, me either! They are great dogs - for active people. I know a few that Casey is friends with - and boy do those pups love to run and herd!!!

I've had them all my life, and they can be quite the handful!  Not border collie energy wise, or anything, but they're pretty active dogs and the do love running.  My male is a terrible heel nipper as well. 

Plus you ave to remember how well known they are for their mouths.  I don't think there's a breed that barks more.

Oh, and BCMixes I guess now would be a bad time to mention that papillons don't act like other toy breeds at all... and about how many people I know with both breeds that just love them.  They're really neat little dogs.  My newest one could give almost any big dog a run for their money energy wise.  She's a dog you have got to do something with or she's restless.  The other two papillons aren't so bad, but they are really energetic.  And all of them are really smart.  They do like to cuddle, though.  Just so long as you don't expect them to cuddle all day!

I'm opposite from you.  I want a border collie to go with my papillons.  xD

• Puppy

I prefer border collies too :D.

• Gold Top Dog

dogforever

I prefer border collies too :D.

It may be time to trot out this old thing - something I wrote for the BC rescue I started ten years ago:

http://cbcr.org/about_bcs.html  In particular note, "Living with a Herding Dog." 

• Gold Top Dog

Laurelin_429

Oh, and BCMixes I guess now would be a bad time to mention that papillons don't act like other toy breeds at all... and about how many people I know with both breeds that just love them.  They're really neat little dogs.  My newest one could give almost any big dog a run for their money energy wise.  She's a dog you have got to do something with or she's restless.  The other two papillons aren't so bad, but they are really energetic.  And all of them are really smart.  They do like to cuddle, though.  Just so long as you don't expect them to cuddle all day!

I'm opposite from you.  I want a border collie to go with my papillons.  xD

Oh thanks, THAT was helpful!  Hmm   LOL!

I've only met one personally and the owner couldn't say enough nice things about it.  He (the owner) lives on my street, he's a big, stern old redneck type guy that you would NEVER imagine with a little toy dog, but he's out there everyday walking his pretty little girl.  He says she is unlike any other dog he has ever owned and absolutely the best temperament-ed dog ever. 

• Gold Top Dog

They are unlike any dog I've ever owned as well.  I mean... I love all my dogs but as a whole, the breed is something special.  They just seem to be a lot more connected to their people than any other breed I've personally known.  I can go on and on about them as well. 

I always laugh at my father too because he has his little girl papillon he dotes on and walks around.  Imagine the most feminine girly little foo foo dog and a grown man... xD  He's had hunting dogs forever and she's his favorite dog ever and that she's the smartest dog he's ever had.  Paps seem to attract a lot of 'big dog people' I'm not sure why.  I know tons fo people with papillons and border collies or papillons and german shepherds (this is a really common combination).  I guess it's their smarts and big dog attitude. 

I will say though, that most people that get one end up with more than one.  Basically every owner I know is head over heels about these dogs (as I'm sure Aspen's mama on here is good about showing)