What breed of dog for me? *Thanks for all the help, we have decided*

• Gold Top Dog

I don't know much about the mini aussies, but I'd say a Bichon would be an ok pick for you.  You MUST realize, however, that these dogs are going to need grooming every 4 to 6 weeks, so if you're not willing to take them to a groomer and spend around $50 a pop on them, don't get a Bichon.  Otherwise, they seem like they'd be a fairly good fit.

Check out this website and the links on the left side to help you with any questions you might have... http://www.bichon.org/CarePuppyProofingHome.htm

• Silver

HorseLover

Thanks for all the help. :)

I'm pretty sure I want to stick to a smaller dog after thinking about it for a while. I've never been around larger dogs before, the largest dog I have been around is a lab. I still like mini/toy aussies. I know that they are not really a breed. What are their temperments like and any info about them would be apprecated. Also I was thinking maybe a Bichon Frise? What are their temperments like and any info on them would also be apprecated. Can Bichon Frises go outside much? or do they have to stay inside 24/7? Do you think either breed would be a good match with me? Thanks again.

Seeing as you need a dog that has an awesome temperament around horses, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a Jack Russell Terrier, or a Parson Russell Terrier.  They are ideal in size for you, averaging between 12-15 inches at the shoulder.  They have either a smooth or broken coat, which is easy to keep clean.  Most of all, ther're a Terrier, one of the best breeds that I could possibly think of for living in a rural setting.  They have a natural affinity for horses, and are a truly hardy breed.  JRT are long lived, friendly (but stubborn at times) and are small and compact in size (well under 30-40 lbs.).  Ideal for what your looking for.  Plus too, JRT's love to work and do things (agility and flyball).  Here's a couple of links for the parent clubs.. Hope this info can help.

http://www.prtaa.org/

http://www.therealjackrussell.com/index.php

I don't think a Bichon Frise is what I would consider to be a good 'horse' dog. 

• Gold Top Dog

BannedBreed Lover
    don't think a Bichon Frise is what I would consider to be a good 'horse' dog

Me neither...the coat alone would suffer terribly in the typical barn setting. Even cropped close...it grabs onto EVERYTHING.

JRT are indeed a natural horseperson's dog. Most people I know with one, have both. I'd seriously consider one for your situation

• Silver

BannedBreed Lover

Seeing as you need a dog that has an awesome temperament around horses, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a Jack Russell Terrier, or a Parson Russell Terrier.   

Maybe because in her first post she said she was looking for "I want a dog that is calm and nice, but doesn't just lay around all the time"

Calm and JRTs just don't go together in my mind!

• Gold Top Dog

Most small dogs aren't what I'd call calm honestly. They tend towards busy..Bichon's included. Exception perhaps being the Pug, but they're hardly suitable for dusty potentially hot environments like a barn/horse setting.

• Gold Top Dog

We had 2 JRTs when we had horses. They were good dogs to have around the barn, but were not at all laid back. They run everywhere they go. Sometimes they would chase the horses, but other than that they were okay. They loved to eat horse poop too :)

• Gold Top Dog

I have just been reading all the input from everyone here.   They have had some really good suggestions for you.   I just thought you might like to go to the post under  "Pics for sharing" asking to show off our Shelter dogs.   I understand that you may not be looking in that area, I have had both shelters babies and registered babies and just plain ole rescued babies.   All of them have been wonderful in their own way.  Keep an open mind during your search, you just never know when the perfect companion will come along and it may not be what you were thinking.

• Gold Top Dog

malnmutt

Okay, I don't think any puppy in the world is going to be cool just sitting there and not barking/getting into trouble for 3-4 hours while you work with your horse. Something to think about. And not barking a lot is something you have to teach your dog. If your dog is ignored and bored, he'll probably start barking. So if horses are your life (and I'm jealous you get to have them!) then you really really really need to consider if you're going to have time to train a dog to be the companion you want. We get a lot of dogs at the shelter that are given up because they seemed like a good idea at the time and then they realize that that puppy that was so cute is a crap ton of work and barks, pees on the rug, needs exercise, socialization, mental stimulation, fun, attention, food, etc...

[rant] And yeah, the shelter dogs look like crap because people neglected them. Not because they're defective. PEOPLE are defective.  Please don't use the "they look like crap" argument. I'm going to be honest-- it kind of infuriates me that you're blaming the dogs for their poor condition. Not everyone wants a rescue. Not everyone wants a shelter dog and I understand that! I work at shelter and have referred people to reputable breeders and my next dog will probably be from a breeder. But how sad to say you're no good because you're a mutt or because you're neglected. Yeah, shame on them for being born and not being purebred so they got neglected. [/rant]

I totally agree with this post. Maybe since you're so dedicated to horses you should just stick with them? Maybe a dog isn't a right fit for you now- you did say you were moving in the next year or so too. Dogs are a TON of work. No puppy will be able to sit still, not bark, not make a mess, not do anything for 3-4+ hours while you care for your horses. An NO puppy will ever come trained- you need to do that. You need to teach your pup how to act, what to do, what not to do, etc, etc.

Also, about the shelter dog comment...I hope you (the OP) realize alot of people on here got their dogs from shelters. I did. Apollo was very neglected and was passed up many times at the shelter he was at. He was to be put down the very day I rescued him. He was under weight, had dandruff filled fur, his teeth were brown, he was catatonic...he was in rough shape. Within the first month of me caring for him he made improvements. Today (a little over a year later) he looks terrific!

Now I do realize rescues aren't for everyone, but if you think for one second that buying from a breeder will make the pup "better" you're ever so wrong. Rescues are very special in their own way, and too bad you couldn't see that.

• Gold Top Dog

I agree. I don't think any breed fits your bill perfectly. There is nothing wrong with a dog that isn't purebred, some of the best dogs i've ever known were heinz 57s.

• Gold Top Dog
    I think a Bichon Frise wuld be great for your situation. Taht or a Maltese, *** Zut, or Lasa Apso. All are small, typically loving breeds who are smart and have long life spans. However they do require clipping and lots of brushing if you keep their fur long, but since you siad you work with horses I think you should be used to lots of grooming. ;) lol

Bichons as far as I know can go out as much as people can but if its raining or snowing they may need protection from the elements.

Edited to Add: Are you sure its a DOG you want? If you want a little pet to dote on and look after yet want them to be able to be okay while you work your horses then try considering a Pygmy Goat. Their small and friendly, and can be kept in pastures with your horses during the day and brought inside your house at night. They cna even be house trained and taught to use crates just like a dog can.

• Gold Top Dog

Smaller breeds tend to be more active, and the OP wants a calmer dog.....

I would go down to your local shelter, and at least give them a chance. Tell the staff what you are looking for - and they can match a dog to your needs. They know those dogs better than you think.

And don't count out not finding a pure bred at your shelter. The following is a list of some the pure bred dogs we've had, just in the PAST WEEK - including (and there are more!!) 6 boxer pups, 3 lhasa apsos, 1 golden retriever, 1 boston terrier, 1 american eskimo, 1 shih tzu, 1 dalmatian, 1 chow, 2 labs, 2 malti-poos, 1 toy poodle, 3 jack russels, 5 greyhounds, 2 daschunds, 1 GSD, 1 blue tick hound, 1 cavalier king charles spaniel, 1 cocker spaniel, 1 pekeingese, 1 border collie pup, 1 basset hound, 1 aussie, 3 great danes, 5 APBTs, 1 standard poodle, and 2 pug-poos. I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a few. We have plenty of mixes too.

But then again, if you want something low mantience and calm- get a cat. They are good pets too, and don't require nearly as much time as a dog, and come already house trained.

• Silver

RidgebackGermansShep

I agree. I don't think any breed fits your bill perfectly. There is nothing wrong with a dog that isn't purebred, some of the best dogs i've ever known were heinz 57s.

Although I suggested a JRT above, I feel that this statement is one of the best on here....  You can find a 'mutt-a-gree' at your local shelter that is a perfect match in all ways, and you'll never look back. 

• Gold Top Dog

It kinda surprises me that people would not suggest corgis.  A lot of horse people have corgis.  They're one of the most common dog breeds I've seen around horses.  I used to see them a lot at shows, too, as people do often bring their (well behaved) dogs to horse shows.

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks again everybody.

I'm still pretty sure that I don't want a shelter dog. I have nothing against shelter dogs. Our outside/ farm dog is a shelter dog. He's a 15 year old lab/golden cross named Dallas. He is older than I am and has been in the family since he was a puppy. I just want a prue bred this time. I'm just looking for a smaller house dog that travels to horse shows with me and is a lap dog. Most people that show also bring their smaller house dogs/ companions with them to shows, too. It mainly has to be good around horses by just not barking at them and not chasing them. It's not like it would be going with me when I ride, just hanging out around the stall in down time in between classes and staying in the hotel/ living quarters of the horse trailer.

What does everyone think of a papillon for me? I really like how they look and from what I've read they are mellow, happy dogs. What is their temperment like? Are they easy to train? Thanks again. 

• Gold Top Dog
    Ooo You dont think they would be TOO small? Most of the Paps I have met were about the size of a Chihuahua and might be easily hurt when around horses and other live stock, but I suppose that goes with just about any dog. :/

I think the Corgi might also be a good choice with you if you can train them not to try to herd the horses, or adopt an older one.