What breed of dog for me? *Thanks for all the help, we have decided*

• Gold Top Dog

What breed of dog for me? *Thanks for all the help, we have decided*

Well, this will be my first real inside dog. We have had several outside/farm dogs, but no housepets. I'm really unsure of what breed to get. I was thinking maybe a mini/toy aussie, but I'm not sure. Here is some more info:

*The breed of dog must be good around horses. Since I own, ride, and show horses I want a dog that gets along with them well and is comfortable around them. They can't be the kind of dogs that would bark, chase, or attack horses. I can't risk getting a dog that would chase my horse and run it through the fence.*

Size and coat:

~I don't want a dog that is taller than 20" or so

~I want a dog that weights less than 30-40 pounds

~I don't really care much about the dog's coat, but my parents would prefer something that doesn't shed much (not very important)

Temperment and ease of training:

~I want a dog that is calm and nice, but doesn't just lay around all the time

~I want a dog that is easy to train and housebreak

Other:

I will be home most of the summer while school is out to housebreak and train the dog. (I'm still in school, I'm almost 15 years old) After that I will be gone for most of the day at school, but would be able to take it out in the morning and after I got home. I want a dog that travels well and is good around strangers since it will most likely be going to horse shows with me. I go to horse shows most weekends in the summer (some shows last up to a week) and atleast once a month in the fall and winter, so it would be traveling and staying by itself in a hotel or the living quarters of the horsetrailer a lot. It would need to be a quiet dog that doesn't bark much. I would be able to give the dog quite a bit of exericise daily. It would go with me to feed the horses, I could take it on a walk once or twice a day, and it could go swimming (we have a large in ground pool).

Overall, I'm pretty unsure of what breed to get. Any help at all and suggestions to breeds would be helpful. I do not want a shelter dog, though. Thanks in advance.

• Gold Top Dog

Welcome!

First of all, I urge you to consider that "mini" and "toy" aussies are "designer breeds", which really means mixed breeds.  If a mixed breed is what you want, that is WONDERFUL and I am sure you would find many to suit your requirements down at your local shelter.  Please do not buy one from a so-called breeder, though.

Second, it does sound to me like you could provide a wonderful, active home for a dog.  I would, if I were you, plan ahead so that you know *exactly* who will be looking after your dog and what it will be doing while you are busy with other things at the horse shows.  

"easy to train" is a relative term.  What do you consider easy?  No breed will "train itself" except maybe if it gets bored, and then they train themselves to cause mischief, not to learn how to sit.  

My first instinct would be one of the spaniels, or maybe a Tibetan Terrier.   

• Gold Top Dog

I'm thinking a corgi might be the size and temperament that you're looking for.  Hopefully, some of the corgi owners here might weigh in.  Also, it might be better to ask the question at a horse forum where people with horses might also give you input about what dogs have worked well for them and their horses.

Good luck, sounds like a dog would have a very happy and interesting life with you.  Good for you for doing your homework first to ensure a good result! 

• Gold Top Dog

What about a Whippet?  Or even a Portuguese Water Dog (since you do have a pond...lol!)?  They're a little on the higher end of your height/weight spectrum, but I believe they're not too bad as far as shedding goes, and they're pretty easy to train and versatile. 

• Gold Top Dog

I wouldn't get a whippet - they are too fragile IMO. Corgis are great dogs, but they are herders, so you have to watch and make sure they wont want to... herd your horses. Mini aussies are a breed - there really are aussies that are bred to be smaller, not crossed with other breeds - but you do have to watch, some are crossed with other breeds. Research your breeder very well. Aussies are not calm dogs though, they need to be kept active, they are dogs that need a job. Aussies are known for doing well around horses, but it all depends on the dog - and how you train it.

Are your horses used to having a dog around? Horses are very senstive animals - and do react in strange ways to things.

• Gold Top Dog

erica1989

I wouldn't get a whippet - they are too fragile IMO. 

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but any dog around the sizes she wants isn't going to fair well at all if it gets stepped on or kicked.  lol!  If it were me I'd just get a bigger dog in generally, especially if it were going to be around horses.  I know when we had horses, they liked to play with the dogs (chase doggies, etc., though they really weren't doing it to be mean, because the would always stop and chill together), but one day one of the horses "mis-stepped" and actually stepped on our lab's back leg.  She was pretty gimpy on it after that.  And that was an accident on the horse's part, not anything like the horse actually trying to hurt her.

Just a few other suggestions for smaller dogs....

Boston terriers - they're nice companion dogs that are generally happy to be couch potatoes or go out and play, though they do have problems being out in the heat.  I think if they were raised with horses from a pup, they'd be just fine.  They are pretty entertaining little dogs, too... 

Dachshund - another good companion dog, though they can have problems with housebreaking more often than other dogs (at least that's what everyone tells me...).  Not sure if they'd work for you or not.

Mini bull terrier - Fits your size range and they'd probably be more hardy than your average dog that size.  They'd probably do fine around horses if raised with them...  They are known to be "stubborn," though, so training may be a little more difficult than some dogs.

Shiba Inu - Again, fits the size range, but can be on the "stubborn" side.  I also think they're a little aloof for what you're looking for, but they'd be a breed to look into.

APBTs - I'm talking the normal sized ones...lol!  Not the 80 lb monstrosities they're breeding now.  But what the breed is supposed to be would probably be good for you...they'd be on the high end of the size range (40 lbish), and they may not be right for you since you travel...certain cities/counties have bans...  Sad

Mini Schnauzers - In the size range, and they're generally pretty good companion dogs.  Not too energetic, but are ready to go when you are.  They do tend to be a little yippy, though, so that may be a problem for you.

That's all I can think of at the moment...lol!  All of them have their good and bad, so you'd just have to go in and research them and find the one that best fits for you!  Smile  Good luck, and I still suggest that you maybe think about getting a slightly larger dog...

• Gold Top Dog

I think a Boston Terrier would be a great choice.  Also, a longhair standard dachshund (more trainable and less yappy than smooths or minis).  They love to travel.

• Gold Top Dog

Basenji!

• Gold Top Dog

When you said "needs to be good with horses" I immediately thought Dalmatian. Dalmatians are supposed to have an affinity for horses as they were used to guard/befriend/keep horses calm at one point. since you will be outdoors with the dog often and it will be exercising a lot I think it would be a good fit, though I HAVEN'T HAD PERSONAL BREED EXPERIENCE with them.

I would personally NOT suggest a corgi, as they (at least mine) have very strong herding instincts and are very barky, I think one would spook your horses/try to round them up.

• Gold Top Dog

I thought dal too - but they may be a bit big, I know the one we have now is 57 some pounds (and he's underweight).  They do shed a ton too - something else to be aware of. I would not suggest a basenji......they are not a dog for a first time owner, unless a TON of research is put into them. Even still, I wouldn't peg them as a first choice.

Bostons are great little dogs, but you do have to watch them in the heat - because of the way they are structured, they do tend to over heat more. You want to watch for the curling of the tounge (so I've been told by boston owners)

• Gold Top Dog
    I wouldn't go with a corgi - 1. they shed ~ a LOT! 2. - they might want to try to herd the horses 3. they can be big time barkers...maybe a bichon??
    • Gold Top Dog

I really love the thought you have been putting into this, it shows a great deal of intelligence and maturity. Now I hope you won't mind but I would like to ask you a couple of questions, it really will help all of us and you may even get more insight into what you would like.

I was a horse kid too when I was 14. It is an amazing  friend to have isn't it?  When I was that age we had our family dogs , and I had a papillion that was all mine. Tiny little guy who was always there when I came home, happy to play loved to see me and sleep curled up next to me. They are tiny little dogs , not wimpy at all.  Back then they did not have tons of cute little outfits ...I KNOW i would have dressed him up a ton if they had them, just for fun ! We also had the working dogs, GSDs ,  a wolf hybred a lab all house dogs, except the wolf. He came from Mexico City from a working Rodeo champion's ranch. Great guy except for killing all of my chickens...not to eat just for fun.

I had Tons of hobbies , Do you ? That takes a lot of effort to manage and schedule time for everyone, everything.  A dog especially must have that bond, every day . Horses while I think happier working, are cool to hang out and miss seeing you for a trail ride or practice for a few days. Most Dog are NOT. So think about your schedule and hobbies really hard... exactly how much time, between the horses, school , friends, family and any other hobbies you may have to spend training and hanging out with your dog.

Age, age is really a big factor. I don't remember if you said puppy or older , sorry  .. But here are a few really important notes to keep in mind.

If you get a puppy you will have to spend a lot of time training it... I mean everything housebreaking, crate training ( and since your dog will travel to shows with you crate training becomes even more important ! Manners are important too, you not only want a wonderful dog BUT you want one people will see reflects YOUR ability to care for and train. IT is a big reflection on you. A yapping , misbehaving dog that howls and destroys things is not seen by dog smart folks as a doggie failure but an owner who did Not make the right efforts and take the time to really train. While working on the puppy you will have less time to work your horse, less time to hang with your friends and other hobbies. SO have you thought about an older dog??  You could think about rescuing a dog or contacting breeders when you pick a breed to see if anyone has a retired dog to place.... that does not mean the dog is an old as it sounds!!  Wink  It is not uncommon for puppies to finish as Champions when they are between 6 months and say 18 months. Often breeders keep more than one pup from a litter waiting to see which one is going to turn out best for the breeding program or the event plans. They may decide from 5 months on that a puppy is not going to be the right one...maybe the testicles did not fully drop? Or the bite is not as perfect as they need. This will never stop this dog from being a wonderful pet,  but breeders have to be tough and picky .  Often Breeders find themselves with a kennel that is growing too large and too fast ... so they will place a retired champion or a younger dog who simply hates showing.  Again a wonderful pet.  You seem to want a dog who could possibly run along with you and your horse? I have many Ridgeback friends who are lucky enough to do that !! BUt you have to wait until the dog is of a certain age to do this or damage happens and can not be repaired. Young dogs must be developed slowly in running. That may sound strange but just a young horse is not broken to the weight of a rider too soon Dogs normally are not started in a running routine before they are 15 months or older.  The short sprints they do running wildy about playing are not the same as a dog running over any distance at all at any speed worth noticing. You can blow out joints and put early onstart issues, joints that may not simply fail but deform.  It is in my contracts when the owners may beging running or riding with thier dogs, If that dog is ruined it will not be because I did not speak up for it.  So, maybe a 2 year old dog would be the ticket for you ?? Finding the right one, weather through a breeder, Breed Rescue or a shelter takes careful research meeting the dog a couple of times ...seeing if your personality and it's matches.  don't worry about changing it's name you can fairly easily.  Another neat thing is since you want a smaller to medium dog they tend to live longer than the bigger breeds.  An older dog will already have much of the basics taught to it and will be more content to wait for you while you at  at school etc....

You mentioned coat not being a big issue, but lets talk about it a little.  A rough coated collie , like "lassie" obviously will have huge work maintaining the coat. the brushing and bathing is labor intensive and as a young person ith what sounds like a great life maybe you would want to concentrate a bit more on that. While dogs like Poodles don't shed they must be groomed, brushed and clipped , and don't get folled by the prissy rep they have these are wildly smart dogs that are atheletic and fun.  Labs have much shorter coats and are wonderful with everyone. But I have to tell you the coat does shed, after my 14 year old lab passed away I was still sweeping her black hair up for months nearly 5 !!  A really short coated dog can be great ..but waht is the weather like year around where you live??  That short easy to wash and dry coat needs jackets in the cold winters .  for that matter if you live in a cold climate a longer haired or double coated dog will have to be protected from the heat on the runs you spoke of.

Now lets just touch briefly on attitude ??  Herding breeds are great with horses and the outdogs. but they bore easily and bored dogs are destructive of unhappy dogs..... guard breeds can be great but since they will be off lead you will really need to UP the training for both of you.  Toy dogs can be bossy but really do you see a teeny tiny dog  being able to keep up ???  OR you could rethink the outdoorsy playing part and know a toy breed would be with you !! Watching tv together or having him with you to snuggle an love on is a wonderful thing.

I know that's a lot to ask about but really we can all help you a lot more if we have a better idea of the answers.

Have you posted about your horses on the list??? That would be pretty cool too !

Hugs Bonita of Bwana

• Gold Top Dog

Since you know what you want it shouldn't be that difficult for a rescue to match you up with the right dog for you.  Many rescues foster dogs and know their personalities and do their best to find the right owner for the right dog.  They might have you fill out a survey and then see how they can help you.  Try contacting a rescue and many would love to help match you with the right dog.

As far as a breed, I might even suggest a poodle or poodle mix.  Many of the new "designer dogs" end up in shelters simply because the original owner had no idea what owning a dog meant and was just going with the great trend.  Poodles are super smart and don't shed a whole lot, they can be full of energy but laid back at the same time and there are many who need good homes.  I have a cousin who just adopted a Laberdoodle from the shelter, he was told the original owner paid $2000 for it but their daughter they bought it as a gift for didn't feed, play or care for it so they ditched it at the shelter.  He tells me it's the best dog ever. 

• Gold Top Dog

I would at least consider a shelter. My friend just adoped a 4 year old labby looking mix, and he is absolutley fabulous.

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks for the help everybody. I really appreciate it.

I think I would have plenty of time for a dog. My horses are my main thing (I would call it a hobby, but it is more than a hobby to me. They are basically my life), and they always will be. I plan on having a job working with horses when I'm an adult: either being an equine vet, training horses, breeding horses, owning a boarding stable, or doing a little of it all. I spend about 2-4 hours a day riding and working with my horses, sometimes more. I spend a lot of time going to shows and getting ready for shows. We will travel over 3-4 hours to go to a horse show. Most of my friends also have horses, so most of the time I spend hanging out with them is when I'm riding or at horse shows. So I don't really spend much time with friends or family. I'm the youngest child in my family, so my older sisters are already in college and moved out. Both my parents work, so I would like a compainion dog.

I really want a puppy. I don't want a dog that is already full grown and older. I don't want a dog that runs around with my horses. Maybe just waits at the side of the arena or walks along with me on a trail ride, but not runs beside me. My horses are already used to dogs. They don't chase dogs, my one gelding really likes dogs to keep him company and will hang out with them in the pasture or by his stall.

Size isn't as important as temperment to me. I wouldn't mind a larger breed if it suited me better than the other smaller breeds. I really want to find a dog I can enjoy and have for a long time. The dog would have to do good in a hot climate though, since we are planning on moving to texas in the next year or two. We will be taking all of our animals, the horses most definatly, the dogs, and maybe our cat.

I'm pretty sure that I do not want a shelter dog. We only have one shelter around here and all of the dogs are gross looking (skinny, bad dull looking coat, and not well taken care of) total mutts. There are absolutly no purebreds at all.

There are some breeds  I really do not like that I have been around.

~ poodles (several of my friends and family members have poodles [all different sizes] and they have been snappy and yappy most of time I was there, I really didn't enjoy them)

~pug ( I just overall hated them)

~boston terriers

~dachshund (my sister and best friend have one, I can't stand either of them. both are yappy and bite a lot)

~beagles

~basset hound

~labs (we had one for an outside dog, but she was stolen. It's more that I don't want another lab since they remind me of her and make me sad than I don't like them)

Thanks again for the help, I hope this gives you all a better idea if you need one.