Cairn Terrier Info. Owners only please.

• Gold Top Dog

erica1989
    what kind of research have you already done MA?

I have researched this info.

-intelligent,fearless

-good w/ children

-requrie a lot exercise

-affectionate

-2/3 cup dog food each meal

-daily brushing

-most allergic to fleas

-learn quickly

• Gold Top Dog

good - make sure to check out the link I posted, has a lot of health info in there! They are prone to a lot of problems (but what breed isn't). It gives you some things to watch for

• Gold Top Dog

I did check ou the link and you and Chuffy have been very helpful!!!

• Silver

Nice link for the Cairn.  I have an Aussie terrier now, 1 year old.  Before him I had a Cairn, he made it to nearly 16 years old before his quality of life really started to go down hill.  He was an awesome little dog, I have an Ozzy shrine in the living room cabinet.

Terriers are, by nature, independent thinkers.  Being originally bred to hunt vermin, they must make decisions, often underground, on what to do with quarry, how to get back out of the den, and so on.  As was stated, you must be firm with them, but not harsh, the best training methods involve out thinking them rather then force.  NILIF is a definite way of life with terrier training. 

Being from working stock, they are busy dogs, and must have a job to do, or at least think they are.  Involve them in all aspects of life, expose them to as much as possible.  I've involved all my terriers in everything from extensive home improvement projects to gardening to watching soaps with the wife to hanging out with my metal band in the garage. 

Being natural ratters they are prone to digging.  If yours is designate a specific digging area, hide some treats in the dirt or sand in this area for them to discover.  A small plastic kiddie wading pool full of sand is good for this, poke some holes in the bottom for water drainage.

Being the little hunters they are they never can really be trusted off lead in an unsecure area.  They will bolt after a squirrel, or something they think is a rodent, such as blowing paper.  I've had geriatric terriers who could hardly do the few steps to the back door give it their best going after a plastic bag blowing across the yard.  Younger ones will be off like a shot, You better have young strong legs to catch up to them.

Even in a securely fenced area they may try to dig out, I've had spare landscape timbers & boulders around for years, just in case they find a certain spot they want to try to escape through by digging.

As far as kids, My kids were 10, 8, & 3 when we got the Cairn.  Excellent little pal with the kids, horribly traumatic for the entire family when it came time to put him down.  They all grew up together, really good mix.  Before Ozzy we had a Westie & a Yorkie, the Westie liked to taste babies, they need a good tongue bath at every time possible.

My wife & kids are allergic to sheddy dogs, as long as you do a quick brush & comb a couple times weekly, with the occasional trim around the legs & privates they are virtually shed free.  Stripping is the proper way to do a show coat, if you keep up wit the comb & brush routine this is really not needed, but it is something I am trying for the first time with this Aussie.

Cairns, like most terriers, are a big dog in a small body, even with good training they are 90% angel, 10% devil.  Probably a bit like me, and probably why I find them so appealing.

• Gold Top Dog

Tolak
    Terriers are, by nature, independent thinkers.  Being originally bred to hunt vermin, they must make decisions, often underground, on what to do with quarry, how to get back out of the den, and so on.  As was stated, you must be firm with them, but not harsh, the best training methods involve out thinking them rather then force.  NILIF is a definite way of life with terrier training. 

I second this!    Lap dogs have been bred for generations to have a very close bond with their owner.  Similarly, the collie has been bred for generations to work very closely with his handler, but the terrier has been bred for exactly the opposite.  They require a great deal more patience than some otehr breeds I think.  I would disagree with the previous poster that said "they mind well" - because, in comparison to other breeds I don't think they do.  You have to do a lot more leg work to get to that place where they mind well if you understand what I mean.  NILIF is part of it.  Engage them.  Use toy training; my dog will do almost ANYTHING to get to chase or scrag a toy for example.

Tolak
    Being the little hunters they are they never can really be trusted off lead in an unsecure area.  They will bolt after a squirrel, or something they think is a rodent, such as blowing paper.  I've had geriatric terriers who could hardly do the few steps to the back door give it their best going after a plastic bag blowing across the yard.  Younger ones will be off like a shot, You better have young strong legs to catch up to them.

This is also excellent advice.  Work LONG AND HARD on that recall before you let that dog off in an unsecured area.  And I'm talking years here.  And yeah, you might have to accept that you can never trust the dog off lead.  I have known many terriers like this.  There are certain places I don't let my dog off lead either, even if I think he will be OK, because "think" isn't good enough.  If that hunting switch is flicked, they won't HEAR you, never mind obey you.  Their legs will  be carrying them away without checking in with their ears or their brain!

Tolak
    Cairns, like most terriers, are a big dog in a small body,

I second this 100%.

Your terrier and chi will have different energy levels.  Your chi might not like to go out in heavy rain or snow; your terrier will want to be out there whatever the weather.  Your terrier will go longer than your chi.  Your terrier will need a great deal of training to overcome his high pack and relatively low prey drives.  Speaking of prey drive, is your chi small and fluffy?  Check with the cairn's owner - does the cairn like to chase and possibly scrag small and furry things?

I suggest you do a lot of training with your chi puppy and allow him to be well established in your home before adding a second dog of any sort.  At the very least let her gain size and confidence.  I would suggest a gap of several months, if not a year or more.  Puppies need A LOT of your time.

• Gold Top Dog

I have had cairns the past 24 years.  They are very active and hardy and can NEVER be trusted off leash due to their HIGH prey drive.  Being quite independent, stubborn, and feisty one MUST train them or you will own a cairn "terror".  They are not cuddle-bugs, but are  sensitive, so discipline is firm, but not harsh.  Stripping the coat is the way to have a shed-free cairn.  It's more work but worth it. Cairns are susceptible to flea allergies so prevention is the key.  Mine have been great with babies to adults and love EVERYONE.  However they are not good watchdogs.  Some cairns tend to be somewhat dog aggressive and must be taught to behave around other dogs.  They are very intelligent.  I have owned pet birds and guinea pigs with my cairns and they learned not to harm them.  I love cairns, but if you aren't ready for a terrier personality a different dog may be a better way to go.