Common Breeds Seen in Service Dogs

• Gold Top Dog

Common Breeds Seen in Service Dogs

Just a topic that came up in conversation the other day... What breeds have you seen used as service dogs in the past? Most of what I've heard/seen are golden retrievers or GSDs. I'm sure there are individuals in any breed that would be suitable as a service dog with the right training, but of course some common characteristics in the breed group may make them unlikely candidates. (i.e. chihuahuas may not be the first choice as a seeing eye dog as they could easily be stepped on.)  Are there any other breeds, or mixes for that matter, that you've heard of being used?

• Gold Top Dog

Well, The Seeing Eye isn't very far from me, so I've seen lots of Guide Dog puppies over the years (know a few people who raise them, too).  I've seen Labrador and Golden Retrievers, German Shepherds and Boxers.  Someone I know raised a Flatcoat Retriever for them, too, but it wasn't accepted for training.  About 13 or so years ago, The Seeing Eye was breeding Lab/Golden mixes for guide dogs, too.  I don't think they're doing that anymore, tho.  I also know of a Norwegian Elkhound who was trained as a seizure alert dog for a little girl in Canada.  On TV, I've seen all kinds and sizes of mixes, trained as service dogs (hearing, seizure alert, etc), and a Great Dane that was trained to work with a Parkinson's patient.

• Gold Top Dog

I used to groom a Smooth Collie who was a service dog. I've seen an Aussie SD, as well. Retriever types seem to be more common, though. 

• Gold Top Dog

Pilot Dogs in Columbus uses GSDs, Labs, Goldens, Viszlas, Dobes, Boxers and Standard Poodles. I have seen/heard of other orgs that use Smooth Collies, Lab/Golden mixes and 'Doodles. I think that list about covers the typical dogs that orgs choose, although other breeds can do and are doing the work.

• Gold Top Dog

I actually train service dogs....:] Right now I'm training a Standard Poodle puppy. In the past I have trained a black lab and a golden. The poodle is only seven months old and can do all the basic obedience almost perfectly and now we are working on turning on and off light switches. She has flipped the switch 2 times already in just 2 days training.

In the classes I see mostly Labs, Goldens, GSD's there is a collie and 2 or 3 other standard poodles. There are also 2 "goldendoodles" that have already been placed and are doing wonderfuly. :] They also scan shelters for mixed breeds that may be suitable for training...and if they dont pass the foster family have the option to adopt them.

• Gold Top Dog

There is/was a basenji who was a hearing ear dog and I know of some one who was wheelchair bound and had an Italian Greyhound as a service dog.  I think the hearing ear program often uses pound pups.

• Gold Top Dog

I would add Belgians (I've seen Mals and Tervs).  Also, I saw a segment during a dog show about a boy that had a Canaan Dog. 

• Gold Top Dog

South East guide dogs down here raises labs, goldens, smooth coat collies, aussies, vizslas and golden/lab crosses for their program.  They have a regular breeding program where they own the breeders but they are kept with host families.  I know someone who keeps a couple of the smooth collies for them and a number of people that are puppy raisers.  A sheltie breeder friend of mine has had some of her pups go on to be hearing support dogs.  The people that got the pups let her know that they wanted the pup go on and learn this and she helped them pick pups that had a temperment that would suit them for the task.

• Gold Top Dog

i know of at least ONE search and rescue am staff.... and be damned if i cant remember his name right now Stick out tongue 

• Gold Top Dog
    Almost every guide dog coming through the program here is actually a labradoodle. We also have several labs and a few other breeds.
    • Gold Top Dog

Wow, that's a lot of breeds I hadn't ever thought of! I think the one that surprises me the most was the Italian Greyhound someone mentioned. I don't know much about hounds, but I thought they typically have more of a mind of their own? I've heard of Boxers being used as police dogs, but hadn't ever thought of them as being slow and gentle enough to work with the handicapped. *slight tangent* Other Aussies may be different, but had anyone attempted to train my Bandit to help out around the house, he would probably end up turning the lights on & off or opening/shutting cabinets all day for self-amusement. We taught him to carry dirty socks to the hamper....but being an over-achiever, he also sneaks clean ones  out of the sock drawer or brings you dirty ones again out of the hamper just so he can take them out of your hand & return them to the laundry room. This is definately a topic I may look into further. Thanks for all the responses!

• Gold Top Dog

TexasDaisy
    Other Aussies may be different, but had anyone attempted to train my Bandit to help out around the house, he would probably end up turning the lights on & off or opening/shutting cabinets all day for self-amusement. We taught him to carry dirty socks to the hamper....but being an over-achiever, he also sneaks clean ones  out of the sock drawer or brings you dirty ones again out of the hamper just so he can take them out of your hand & return them to the laundry room.

Herding dogs can be like that.  If once is good that more than once is even better.

• Gold Top Dog
    I've heard of an Akita being used as one. And I have seen pics on the 'Net of Boxer/Labradors also being used.
    • Gold Top Dog
    The closest service dog organisation I know of has smaller breeds for hearing assist, such as smooth fox terriers, schipperkes, basenjis, etc. and then larger breeds for seeing eye, such as labs, goldens, poodles, and so on. I would really like to donate puppies to them someday. I'm getting an icelandic sheepdog for breeding/showing/other sports soon and they have been known to make excellent hearing dogs, so I would really like to donate some pups.
    • Gold Top Dog

I saw a breed all about it on dobermans once, and the dobie service dog was awesome. I also saw a seizure alert rottie! Around here i've seen GSD and labs mostly. I've also seen a sheltie mix, but it's a dog that spooks very easily.