Beagles off leash?

• Gold Top Dog

personal experience speaking here.. i grew up around beagles.. my dad had them, my grandad had them, and more than a few neighbours had them. these men ALL had their top dog favourite beagle that got the run of the place... three in particular were Little Bob, Biggun, and OJ.

Little Bob was my grandads pride and joy.. never saw a leash. 

Biggun, same with my dad. my mom always swore that dog meant more to him than his family. when my dad wasnt home he was kenneled with the other hounds, but mostly he was my dad's satellite.  

OJ was a neighbour's favourite deer hound/rabbit tracker. he lived like a king indoors, well groomed, pretty as you please and spoiled rotten.

they were all good hunting dogs and did the job well. i think the reason they got the run of the property was because they knew their business. like it was more fun to hunt with dad and all the other hounds than all alone...

now i am not saying just let your dog do what it wants.. the ones i mentioned also lived in the country, which in my opinion is the only reason they all got away with it... they had a "pee route" and once finished with making their rounds came back home to lay around until hunting season opened.

• Puppy

Hi Amina,

I have a beaglier called Hunter and maybe because its a mix of cavalier & beagle he is fine off lead.  I was so scared to let him off his lead as he had more beagle in him I believe.  But he came back again & again, to my surprise! He loves the beach.  We have passed all our obidence training and that has helped.  I think it also comes doen too the relationship that the owner has with their dog.

All the best in your hunt to find you rperfect dog!

- Nadia

• Gold Top Dog

I never let my Beagle Brownie off leash. Just to high a risk for me. He has a good recall but I'm not willing to risk it.