Does is work having a dog in an apartment-which breeds.

• Silver

Does is work having a dog in an apartment-which breeds.

SO does it work having a dog ina apartment??  Which breeds do you recommend for apartment life, I also have a 2 and a half year old.  I live on the ground floor, I could pop the dog over the balcony (sounds bad-but no prob because on the same level as balcony!)  first thing in the morning and last thing at night as long as it wasn't raining to hard.  I would have to climb over the railings though to poop scoop, lol!!!!  Oh, do dogs use litter trays, ok stop laughing!!!!!!Big Smile

• Gold Top Dog
    It can work having a dog in an apartment, but i'm pretty sure it's a bit more work than having a dog in a house with a yard. Some dogs can be taught to use the little, ,petco sells Dog Litter. We live in an apartment with a beagle and we have her use puppy pads on the balcony or the grass in the common areas. i don't think popping your dog over a balcony is a good idea. As for dogs that are good in apartments, I think it depends on who you ask. We live in a large apartment complex and there are tons of different dogs here, there are 3 beagles that I know of, goldens, labs, ones that look like pits/bull dogs, dalmation, basset hounds, mini poodles, chi's and lots of other ones that I don't recognize the breed. Not that I would condone having all of these types of dogs in an apartment though. There is the issue of noise, because neighbors don't generally like barking. and you have to always pick up poop right away. Walks multiple times per day are not an option in an apartment. Your apartment complex also probably has a list of dogs that are not allowed.
    • Gold Top Dog

In my opinion, the best dog to have in an apartment is a QUIET dog.  Most complaints arise because the dog is barking all day when the owner is at work, or busy, or the poop doesn't get scooped.  For 9-5'ers, a retired racing greyhound is often a good match - they are such couch potatoes LOL. But, for you, adopting a quiet adult dog that is known to be tolerant of very young children, and already house trained, is the way you should go IMO.  Puppies, or active young dogs, and toddlers don't always mix, which is why a lot of rescue groups won't adopt a dog to a family with kids under age 10 (statistically, they get bitten a lot, especially if parents leave them alone with the dog, or let the kids be on the floor or dogs be on the couches).  Most large SPCA's have a behavior assessment program (ask), and can evaluate a dog's behavior with kids, cats, other dogs (you want the dog that passes all three and has zero food or "special item" aggression).  I would start there - you could find the dog of a lifetime and safe a life at the same time:-))

Please do be sure you have landlord permission, and that you are stable in your living situation, so that you will not have to move and leave your dog behind.   

• Gold Top Dog

i agree with the greyhound...i've also heard great danes are great for apts. I lived in an 800 sq foot apt with a german shepherd and rhodesian ridgeback and i had no problem. As long as you give your dog sufficient exercise, you should be okay.

• Gold Top Dog

I lived with an Australian Shepherd & a Boxer in a 500 sq ft apartment.  Then when the Aussie passed, I added a Doberman.  It is a little more difficult to live in an apartment with high energy breeds, but if you are committed, it is doable.

A retired Greyhound is usually the perfect apartment dog, & you get the bonus of knowing that you saved a life in the process.

• Gold Top Dog

My husky grew up in apartment living. No problems at all. As long as the dog gets plenty of attention outside of the apt (walks and so on) it is fine.

• Gold Top Dog

I have my 110lbs of neo mastiff living in an apartment since he was 5 months old. Thor is "the most well behaved dog of the building" (all neighbours said in the past meeting) and he is the biggest one too. I think the success you'll have is the time you dedicate to your dog. If he is educated and you take care of all his needs, he will not be a problem anywhere. Thor only barks if he perceives something inusual/threatening and that's like once a month. He walks a lot everyday and he does his "business" outside the resident area.

Here in Venezuela, rules are not that hard like in the U.S., I think. I didn't knew some places only permit some breeds... that's kind of hard!

• Gold Top Dog

I don't think there's any one breed that's better than any other, it totally depends on the individual dog.  For that reason, I'd look to adopt an adult from a shelter or rescue.  I adopted an adult German Shepherd and was told that living in an apartment would not be a problem, as she is a very quiet dog, well trained to "settle" in the house.  A friend of mine has a hyper-action Australian Shepherd in her apartment.  Another friend had two Great Pyrenees in her apartment!  I don't think size or breed matters, just that the dogs get the exercise they need regardless of where they sleep.   

• Gold Top Dog

I'm going to jump in here and play devil's advocate -- don't just get a dog that is 'ok' with THIS apartment.  NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!!

Because if you move to another apartment they may not take dogs over 25 or 30 pounds.  So a big dog may NOT be a good match for you in the future.  Different apartments have different rules -- don't get caught just having a dog "ok" at THIS apartment when most of the other apartments in town require a dog to be under a certain weight.  CHECK IT OUT!!!

• Gold Top Dog

My suggestion for apartment life - adopt an older dog (who might otherwise have no chance at a loving home).  Many older dogs are wonderful, quiet, and quite happy to spend much of their time snuggling in their bed.  That is my first choice for apartment life.

We adopted an older Golden Retriever who had been used as a breeder.  She was perfectly trained, but was quite old, didn't look "pretty" as she was missing much of her hair from her hind end.  I looked at my mom and said "this one will never get adopted, we have to take her".  She turned out to the be the absolute best, sweetest, least trouble dog we have ever had.  We didn't live in an apartment, but she would have fit right in with apartment life.

Oh, and she grew her hair back and turned into a very beautiful dog - inside and out.

• Gold Top Dog

Callie's suggestion at examining your possible next home is a good idea.  If you have any plans on moving to a different complex, it would be quite useful to find out any restrictions.

I have an Alaskan Klee Kai in an apartment right now.  Like everyone else has said, having an energetic breed in an apartment is do-able as long as you fulfill your dog's energy requirements.  When the temperature is more forgiving, Honor gets at least two walks a day, combined with whatever exercise or training she's getting indoors.  The biggest concern I've had with having Honor in the apartment is that she's quite a talker.  Woo-woo this, woo-woo that.  So DH and I have worked hard on training her "Speak" and "Quiet" commands.  Otherwise, she's been a great apartment dog.

I too, agree that you would probably be best suited to a more relaxed older dog.  The retired racing greyhound idea is wonderful, as greyhounds can make incredibly sweet and gentle companions.  Spiritdogs gave you good advice in what to look for in a shelter/rescue dog.  I hope the search goes well!

• Gold Top Dog
    Over 70% of my building has dogs I just learned at the HOA meeting. The ones that I know of (because they live in my area of the place) have chi's (me) and several others, a cavalier king charles, mini poodle, rat terrier, bichon, yorkie, a few small chi or JRT mixes, pug, and a lab. The only ones that have had a problem and actually gotten in trouble with the HOA was the lady with the poodle for barking and the lab for barking and the guy let it swim in the pool. I think there are a lot of dogs that make great apartment dogs, you just have to be careful with training and respectful to neighbors. Puppy pads are great if you are unable to go out at night or live on a high floor as well. The only thing about adopting is be really, really careful about getting involved with a dog that has SA. The horror stories I've heard about people getting kicked out and such are always with dogs that have SA. If you aren't prepared to dealth with it or don't know how it's probably not the right choice.
    • Gold Top Dog

ottoluv
    The only thing about adopting is be really, really careful about getting involved with a dog that has SA. The horror stories I've heard about people getting kicked out and such are always with dogs that have SA. If you aren't prepared to dealth with it or don't know how it's probably not the right choice.

Kelly's absolutely right -- it can be really hard to know so ASK.  Most rescue groups that have had dogs in foster homes *should* know the answer to that one (it's one of the things they usually test for -- they really don't WANT to place a dog in a home where it will fail).  But it can happen with puppies too -- especially when folks get a puppy but they work ALL day long and they don't take the time to train the dog they just assume because it's in a crate that it will 'be crate trained".

Some breeds are more vocal that others -- beagles tend to be more vocal, and they tend to like companionship so may not be the right choice for you.  I'm not saying they are bad (I have a bassett/beagle mix but O BOY is she vocal) just that it is a consideration. 

• Gold Top Dog

spiritdogs

In my opinion, the best dog to have in an apartment is a QUIET dog. 

Notice that Spiritdogs did not say barkless dog.  Basenjis, while barkless, do make all sorts of interesting other noises.  Many people make the mistake that a basenji is a perfect appartment dog.  And then dump the dog when the find out how high energy and noisy these little pups can be. 

• Gold Top Dog

agilebasenji

spiritdogs

In my opinion, the best dog to have in an apartment is a QUIET dog. 

Notice that Spiritdogs did not say barkless dog.  Basenjis, while barkless, do make all sorts of interesting other noises.  Many people make the mistake that a basenji is a perfect appartment dog.  And then dump the dog when the find out how high energy and noisy these little pups can be. 

ROFLMAO, you are right about that.  I did NOT say barkless;-))