pure...??

• Silver

pure...??

hello. i am not expert at dogs ....so i thought if u people could help me out.

i have dog named doddy..he is 4.5 years old , long coat and wieghs 37-40 kg(weight is some what differnt as he gains more wieght in wintr).

is he pure...? he is unpedigreed and ya.....he has five fingers in the rear claws. and is this wieght ok  for a dog of this age.

thanks for ur time.

(by the way he is my best friend and even if he is not pure there is no probelm. thanks)

• Gold Top Dog

Looks like it to me...he is beautiful

• Gold Top Dog

i agree he looks like he's all GSD with just a long coated gene. 

i think there are some breeders that try to pronounce that gene more than other breeders.. Shiloh Shepherds i think... they're pretty but man are they FLUFFY!! 

• Gold Top Dog

Just from the face, he looks like my neighbors Belgian Tervuren.

• Gold Top Dog

The face is very GSD.  However, look at the full body pics.  The dog has no rear angulation like a GSD.  He's butt high and doesn't have the same balanced structure as a good GSD.  Could be a purebred GSD with poor structure, maybe hip problems?  I'm not sure what causes rear structure like that or whether it's good/bad. 

• Gold Top Dog
    I dont know much about GSD's but he is a cute boy. ;)
    • Gold Top Dog

i've seen them like that before.. have to get pictures next time. but yes its a different breeding style.. there was a woman around north FL that used to breed king shepherds and would outcross with regular shepherds or shepherd/wolf hybrids. she retired and took her website down otherwise i would show you.

the other thing is this one is in a foreign country. no telling what sort of breeding programs or outcrossings happen there. 

he is a beauty though Smile 

• Gold Top Dog

ugh, king shepherds.....don't get me started!!! 

• Gold Top Dog

Highly unlikely he is a belgian, especially if his body is not square.  Long coat GSD is far more likely.  Although you will see some mixes like this in some K9 breeding programs.

• Gold Top Dog

Liesje

ugh, king shepherds.....don't get me started!!! 

dont worry i wont Big Smile and i completely understand why! 

• Gold Top Dog

I don't know anything about GSDs, but wanted to say that he is very handsome! What a regal face and expression. I love the photos of him with all the children!

• Gold Top Dog

I am actually stumped, but if I had to say, I would pick a Belgian Terverun, GSD cross. The coat texture definitely doesn't say pure GSD to me (I have 2 long coats), it looks like a Belgian coat and so does the facial structure. Just an amateur opinion. Smile

He is a gorgeous dog!  

Here's a Belgian:

• Gold Top Dog

The head piece, the ear size, shape and placement are all more GSD to me.  It is especially evident he is less likely belgian when you look at the other shots of the dog in the thread Doddy.  He is clearly a rectangle (8 to 10 ratio for GSDs) compared to a square belgian.

http://community.dog.com/forums/p/68297/531909.aspx#531909

• Gold Top Dog

mrv, what about that coat? Have you ever seen a coat like that on a GSD? It's possible, I just haven't seen it. Like I said, I'm stumped, but he is a beauty! I can see that "pointy" look in B'asia sometimes, so I can see that, and I agree with you on the body shape, but the coat is what has me hesitant to say pure GSD.

• Gold Top Dog

I'm with Dum, it does look like a "king" shepherd.

"King Shepherd. An American attempt to produce a giant, long haired GSD. ARBA recognized. Malamute, Akita and other breeds were crossed in to increase size. Its Standard insists on as much size and bone as possible. An impressive family and companion dog, It's huge size and soft temperament make it unsuitable as a working dog."

http://www.kingshepherd.com/Adults/Adults.htm 

no comment