Breed Advice for Next Dog

• Gold Top Dog

Breed Advice for Next Dog

We aren't going to be getting another dog until next year sometime, but I just wanted to get some advice. We want to get a puppy, and we may get one from a breeder, but realistically we will probably end up with a shelter or rescue dog. A well bred dog with a health guarantee has a lot of appeal, but in the end I will probably feel too bad passing up a shelter dog when we aren't going to be showing anyway.

We only have Salem (presumed black lab / gsd mix) right now. He is about 65 lb, and he is much more comfortable with dogs smaller then him. I don't want a very small dog, but one around 45-55 lbs would be ideal. We like velcro dogs because we generally do everything with Salem. We are dog dorks and pretty much have no social life outside of dog activities. I want an active and smart dog that would be up to taking a 10 mile hike and coming home to play a nice long game of frizbee or fetch in the yard. I also want a dog who would settle down and cuddle on the couch with us after the day of activities, and be okay with just a 3 mile walk and some hard yard play on most weekdays. I am also interested in doing agility or herding (there is a place nearby and it looks cool) with the dog. I'm planning on getting Salem back into agility soon. He has only done the beginer class, and he wasn't very good at it really, but it was fun. Most of all I want a breed that will compliment Salem.

Any breeds you can recomend for us? I really want an aussie (a blue merle to be exact). I have always just loved their energy and intelligence, but DH doesn't want a dog "with no tail". He wont stray from the no tail thing so docked tails are out. My next thought would be border collie, but more research is required there. Any other breed ideas?

We will most likely end up with a "whatever breed we decide" mix, but my thoughts are if I can narrow down a few breeds I like I can sign up for fostering with one of the breeds rescues. Then I could foster an adult and see if the breed is a good mix for our household. We probably will be looking at getting a puppy next summer sometime when it is easier for us to take time off work.

Any thoughts on female or male dog? Some people have told me dogs get along better with the oposite sex but I don't know if there is truth to that. A female is appealing to me because all of our pets are male right now (3 cats and a dog). I'm the only girl in the house.

I am really excited about another puppy but I don't want to rush into things. This girl has stolen my heart though. http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9694682 . Must stop looking at petfinder!! I can smell her puppy breath.

• Gold Top Dog

Aussies don't HAVE to be docked ya know...lol. Rescues sometimes have undocked one's, shelters too. Also BC's come in blue merle and of course...have tails. Might be more dog than you want tho?

• Bronze

ROFLMAO!!

My first thought as I read the paragraph about what you were looking for and what you wanted to do with the dog - an Aussie.

All of my favorite breeds are tailless, so I really am of no help.

• Gold Top Dog

Maybe I can end up finding an aussie or aussie mix with a tail. I wonder if a breeder would consider leaving me a pup with a tail, probably not. I've always wanted an aussie, and I think they would work out well with what we want. He thinks its not a dog unless is has a tail, lol.

A border collie would work for us too I think. I may sign up to foster one and see if it is too much for us. I didn't know they came in blue merle! Color isn't really that important, I just have always loved that coloring.

• Gold Top Dog

Some breeders will leave a tail for you, some won't. Most of the breeders say that they breed to breed standard, which is a docked or natural bobbed tail. However, some ship overseas as well and some countries ban docking so they have to leave some pups with tails. I think it's worth checking in to. It sounds like an aussie would fit your needs perfectly.

Neiko is very high energy but he does settle down in the house for a good snuggle. Very smart, easily trainable, naturally velcro and always ready to go and do whatever it is you want.

Also, there are many aussies in rescues that do have tails. 

• Gold Top Dog

Oh I forgot...Cardigan Welsh Corgi's...Collies..Shelties also come in blue merle...they have tails too...LOL!

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks. I'll look into those!

Jewileee, How much does Neiko weigh? I might check around for some quality breeders. It can't hurt just to ask. I'm still not sure if I want to go the breeder route or not yet, but still it can't hurt to ask around.

• Gold Top Dog

As to sex, female would be what I'd get...then if you add #3...male.

• Gold Top Dog

How about an English Shepherd or a Shiloh Shepherd?  The Shiloh is like a larger, plusher German Shepherd, but has a more relaxed, companion-oriented temperament.  I believe the English Shepherd is actually a lot like an Aussie in looks, bigger, but with a tail.  I think they are a little less intense, also companion-oriented.

English

Shiloh

• Gold Top Dog

Neiko is 47 lbs. I don't expect him to go over 50. Aussies have a wide weight range though, something like 35 - 70 lbs. Although I've never seen a 70 lb one that wasn't just fat. Most females you'll find are about 40-45 lbs and males will be 45-55 lbs on avg.

Check out this aussie rescue page - there are many aussies that come through this rescue list with tails

http://aussierescue.leepfrog.com/ 

• Gold Top Dog

I was thinking Aussie too from what you wrote. Luna is 19 inches at the withers and 40 lbs. She will probably fill out a bit more, but I love her size.

The English Shepherd suggestion is also a good one to look into.

Keep us posted. Nothing more fun than someone searching for a dog! 

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks for the site! I will keep an eye on it. I think we are going to want a puppy or very young dog when we go for one, but I'm sure if I wait long enough I could find an aussie or aussie mix with a tail in a rescue. I think a puppy will be easier to train to be used to my cats, plus we both really want a puppy. Embarrassed

Liesje, Thanks for those ideas as well. The Shiloh would probably be too big, but wow they are beautiful! I'm off to look at English Shepherds.

I feel silly even posting about the tail thing, but it wont just be my dog so if he insists on a tail we will find one with a tail, lol.

• Gold Top Dog
    Your requirements aren't so different from ours at the moment. We've gone with Finnish Lapphunds, and are aiming for a litter due next Feb. The reason I chose them over Aussies is because they are calmer and cuddlier. These guys are the biggest snugglebums I've ever come across in the dog world. I've only met 3, but every single one has immediately snuggled up to me and settled down for some loving from a complete stranger. They're also quite a bit less intense than Aussies, which is good for us because I have rabbits and an elderly corgi that doesn't respond well to intensity. I don't especially like intensity, either. I'm told Lappies quite like exercise, and do well in agility, flyball, and herding, but also like hanging out taking it easy, watching the family. Lapphunds are also drop-dead gorgeous. Aussies with tails are way prettier than docked ones. I'd go with female. It's safer that way.
    • Gold Top Dog

Does he not want a no tail dog because he thinks they have been docked? I know when I got my first aussie her breeder said that she was born without her tail along with 2 other siblings. Now the breeder did have Jayde's tail docked but I just thought you would like to know that since the aussie does sound perfect for you.

• Gold Top Dog

Aussie or BC sounds like a good one for you...but here are some other ones that weren't mentioned...

I know you said you don't like docked dogs, but i think a doberman would be perfect for you! extremely intelligent, very velcro, active, and so so sweet. Great dog park dogs!! I don't know about the size...i've seem some as low as 50, but up to 80.

German shepherd might be a good one, too...but they're kinda big.