How about a Golden?

• Gold Top Dog
    If the dog is going to get wet everyday why not get a lab? Labs were bred to go in the water and they love to get wet. I'm glad you are going to go to a show breeder for your next dog. Don't understand why it is a point of contention among some people as you mentioned. Aside from the shelter show breeders are the most responsible place to get a puppy. As far as goldens go, have you met a great deal of them? They are tractable dogs and good dogs but you may not like them despite all of this. I personally do not like Goldens for no other reason than their personalities. They are very pretty and obedient dogs but that is not necessarily a selling point for me. I don't want to rub Golden lovers the wrong way. I'm sure there are plenty of Golden lovers who would never own Italian Greyhounds. To each his own. However there are plenty of tractable and pack oriented breeds out there that wouldn't be too hard to find.
    • Puppy

Hi, Darby is my second golden, he is just a year old but the weetest boy around.  My first golden, sunshine, is the reason we have Darby now and why we are getting him a baby sister in ~month.  Goldens are family dogs, pack if you will, they love the whole family including any other animals that may live with you or under your shed.  We've had a groundhog under the shed for 12 years, the dogs best buddy.  The only draw back i can think of is that they shed, and I do mean shed.  I understand the filed goldens don't shed as bad as the "show" goldens.  If you don't like grooming and vacuuming then a golden will make you nuts.  They are also lap dogs, 90 lbs of love jumping in your lap is something to consider, but on a cold night there is nothing better.   

Golden puppies from 9 - 12 months are tough.  They have enormous energy and need alot of excerise (to keep yourself sane have play dates with the neighborhood dogs and kids) they stay puppies for ~3 years, yeah years.  Then they turn into the most wonderful adult dogs, still playful but with an inner control button.  

Without knowing you or your lifestyle I couldn't recommend getting a golden but I highly recommend you do research.  Talk to breeders and trainers, Goldens are the number one dogs for obedience because all they want to do is please they're people.  They are pretty good at agility.

Good luck 

• Bronze

I grew up around both Labs and Goldens and from what you describe wanting in a dog I think they fit the bill perfectly.  All Retrievers (Flat Coat, Golden, Lab and Chesepeake) are bred to love water, they even have webbed feet so if you want a dog that likes swimming you wont go wrong with the Golden.  They are one of the prettiest breeds in my opinion and their seemingly always smiling faces seem to show an eternal optimism.  They are considered by most dog IQ experts to be among the top 5 smartest breeds and are generally easy to train.  They are devoted to their families but pretty much like everyone else too. 

As for the cons, it's been mentioned already but bears repeating, they shed.  They shed a lot!

If you are set for a Golden Retriever and willing to pay a bit more, I recommend checking out an English Golden Retriever.  They have a much lighter, cream colored coat and have blockier features which I find more appealing.  The American Goldens are generally taller, leaner and have a more "reddish" golden coat.

Chad