Breed Stereotypes

• Gold Top Dog
    So we were discussing dog breeds over supper with some of our extended family this weekend. I mentioned that my fiance plans to get a great pyrenees soon after we're married because that's what he's always had growing up. My uncle (a farmer) freaked out. Apparently all pyre's are killers because the ones left out in the fields to guard livestock are  territorial & they'll eat our children someday. That's actually about the 3rd time/person I've heard that from. Of course the ones raised only with livestock aren't going to naturally be stranger-friendly, but all the ones raised as family pets I've met have been great. People draw some interesting conclusions...
    • Gold Top Dog
    Actually, you can teach them to accept strangers too if you start from puppyhood. Mine will bark and act ferocious when left to their own devices if people go near their flocks, but they go as far as they can without doing harm. Once my big male actually took hold of a guy's hand, who had gone in the pasture to read the meter (they were not supposed to go in - there was a remote thingie that let them do it from the road). But he didn't do any damage other than nearly giving the guy a heart attack. He was literally trying to pull the guy back to the gate. [:D]

Anyway, if I go out and meet and greet with the dogs, they will accept the new people quickly. Lu is shier as I didn't get her until she was about six months old. Tully is a big smooshball. They both love kids. Lu will lie down and turn into Flat Dog to try to entice kids to pet her. Tully is younger and sillier and does get excited if he thinks you might be in the mood for a bit of romping.

Just like any other dog, it's all in the training.
    • Gold Top Dog
    ORIGINAL: Shiva

The problem though with the little dogs is that a lot of people coddle them instead of treating them like dogs. If they're out for a walk a big dog is coming their way it's "oh my God! It's a big dog, quick pick up (insert name here) so he doesn't get eaten!" This teaches the dogs to be scared of big dogs. Then there's the fact that a lot of little dog owners will pick up their dog when it's scared so if it's scared of a human it learns it's okay to be scared cause "momma's gonna save me." I see plenty of little dogs, Rat Terries included, at the dog park that get scared and snappy any time a big dog approaches them.

If you train and treat your little dog just like you would a big dog, it should turn out fine, if you treat it like it's helpless and needs to be defended by you everytime something "scary" comes along, it's gonna have problems.

Shiva

While that IS true...the other side of the coin is that a small dog owner can *never assume* a strange dog is going to be friendly or well-trained.  Lots of big dogs see little dogs as prey to chase and attack, much like a squirrel or cat.  I have heard many, many stories of small dogs being attacked and seriously hurt or killed by bigger dogs that approach and are not under their owner's control.  I never had much reason to think about it before I got my chi, but since getting him I have become much more aware of how many rude, rambunctious, and ill-behaved dogs there are that are NOT compatible with small dogs.  And with a tiny dog like mine you really can't afford to take much chances.  I do agree that they should be babied as little as possible, but in some situations it is hard to avoid.  My little guy gets plenty of exposure to other dogs, but I try to make sure that it is in a controlled environment and around dogs that I know are going to be friendly.

That being said, I do agree with you for the most part.  A LOT of small dogs ARE babied to the extreme, and their temperment (and reputation) suffers for it.  The problem is that they're just so much easier to coddle I guess.
    • Puppy
    border collies are also said to be terrible with children. Bad sterotype !
    My children were raised with bcs and socialized my litters of pups.
    Some working lines have high prey drive and have to be taught that controling young children is not allowed.....but they learn this easily.
    I've also heard the one about they are all so hyper.....
    some are and some aren't. It depends on breeding AND how they are raised.
    I'm new here.  This looks like a great forum.[:D]

Leticia from GA.
    • Puppy
    I can't believe how many people actually beleive that Siberian Huskies are actually part wolf! 
    People who are not as clueless know Sibes for their destructiveness, which is, most of the time, true.  [:@]
    • Gold Top Dog
    The only dachshund stereotype I can think of that is not true is that only come in the red color.  All the other stereotypes - barky, stubborn, hard to housebreak, loveable - they are pretty much true I've found [:D]
    • Puppy
    Hi I'm new to the forum my name is tootie and I have a cocker spaniel and an english bulldog. Most people take one look at my bulldog and head straight for my cocker which she does not like. I have to say I have found that the female cockers I have owned do not like strangers. Now the worst thing my bulldog will do is lick you to death lol...
    • Bronze

Hi!  My parents have bred Chinese Shar-pei for over 20 years so I have grown up with them.  You always hear that Shar-pei are somewhat snobbish or standoffish and that they are pretty much a "one" family dog and that they are not quite fond of other dogs...I will agree for the most part on these statements, but the one thing I hear all the time is that you have to make sure you bathe them frequently and clean out there wrinkles because they will grow mold...I'm sorry but none of our Chinese Shar-pei has ever had mold grow in between their folds of skin.  So I am definitly going to disagree with the breed stereotype.No

• Gold Top Dog

I love this thread! We have many non doggy friends and we enjoy them and thier gaffs over dogs when we talk. They are all experts till we enter the room then it's a grin and a giggle and it's " Okay ask Bob and /or Bonita they'll  know"  I even get calls at home about dog issues from folks I barely know..what a social connection Geeked Any how with our breed the typical stereotype is that Ridgebacks FIGHT lions  no...they hunt them, bring them to bay and hold them for a hunter to dispatch our breed is powerful not stupid.  Then there ie the bigger is better thinking...it's called a standard not a suggestion. I cringe when I have a judge praise a huge dog as what he wants if there is a lion around... the normal sized rr is quicker and more agile than the larger imposing version, they can dart in and out ducking the claws and wrath of the big cats.  Big didn't live long in Africa...

• Silver

American Pit Bull Terrier stereotypes:
    1 - Can't trust them around other animals - Jesse gets pushed around by our 20lb Rat Terrier, Jesse plays with and loves our calves and foals, Jesse loves our neighbors Black Lab puppy...not so much their male, because he trys to mount Jesse...steals his ball...steals his stick...We don't let Jesse and Beaux out together for that reason.
    2- Can't trust them around kids - Jesse loves and is loved by all the kids we know from 18 months to 7 years.
    3 - They are DANGEROUS - the only dangerous thing about Jesse is that tail!! Let it be 20 degrees and him hit you with that thing...you would think your leg broke in two!!
    4 -
    There are more, but why spread lies

Rat Terrier stereotypes:
    1- They are all true!!! Jack sheds like nobodies business, steals and hides toys, jumps up to my shoulders and I am 5'2, runs fast, swims, generally crazy hyper dog!!

• Bronze

1.  Poodles are froo-froo dogs

2.  Toy poodles are agressive

3.  Golden retrievers are all friendly

4.  Huskies are all friendly

5.  Poodles are smart and do not shed (this one is true!)

OK, so why these?  There are more.  Let me start by telling you that ALL 3 of my poodles have a high hunt drive.  My standard will chase ducks in water (loves water), doves and crows on land.  I hope to get him started in hunting after his AKC title is earned in conformation.  My mini has an equally strong bird drive, and is fast!  He retrieved a baby bird to me once.  I was near the bird's nest, so told him to drop it...that bird was thankful for the poodle's soft mouth that day!  (unharmed )  My toy poodle, Velma is better known in this town than me.  She is a therapy dog, and has been to the hospital, all 3 elementary schools and local nursing homes.  She is a loving dog.  I agree that if you coddle a small dog too much that it changes its temperment.  I tell her she "is a dog and can walk by herself."  I do carry her when I go into stores that allow dogs, but that is the only time.  Most peopel think that I am carryng a stuffed dog, because she is that quiet!  She will approach anyone when I simply release her with a "go say hi" command.  She also saved my life and my parents' lives from a fire.  I have ahd to scoop her up quickly from approaching agressive dogs, however.  BTW, there was an elderly lady who was walking her toy poodle on leash in town and 2 greyhounds who were loose came and killed her dog before she could stop them...

I have been warned by a friend of mine (who owns some awesome Golden Retrievers and German Shepherds) to avoid certain Golden Retrievers in class due to agression.

I have met 2 huskies that have tried to attack my toy poodle.  These were instances of dog agression, and I had to rescue her by scooping her up in my arms--she usually walks right next to me in the yard, or on-leash on the street.  She is off-lead trained.

• Gold Top Dog

GSDs can't be trusted with anybody or anything

Strauss apparently didn't get the memo, as this is him sitting with three complete strangers (to both of us) as they pet him right when he's fresh off a session of bite work.  Look at my vicious, vicious Shepherd.... 

• Gold Top Dog

kkearney
    5.  Poodles are smart and do not shed (this one is true!)

both? i heard they do shed but not like other dogs... but then i've heard that they are erm.. hypoallergenic...? 

• Gold Top Dog

I hate to see anyone so judgmental against different breeds.  My husband’s grandmother is so afraid of German Shepherds that she won’t set foot in our yard due to Sky being a shepherd. Either she had a bad experience with them or she believes the same stereotype, Shepherds are aggressive and will bite before thinking and the big one she will one day turn on us and our future kids. 

Now Siberian Huskies have their share of stereotypes.  Some of the ones I hear when out in town.  Siberians are so dumb and hyper why would you want one.  That’s part wolf and you’re not allowed to own one in Kentucky.   You know you can’t ever let them dogs off leash.  The number one stereotype saying in Western Kentucky is, doesn’t she/he have coyote in them. 

• Puppy

Beagles are supposed to be stupid.
     I have a rescue beagle myself. He actually found us. My Mom and I are competitive obedience people and when we found him we fell in love instantly. I wanted to keep him but she kept saying "But he's a Beagle, He'll never do obedience." Meanwhile, only 4 months later, we have just sent in the premiums for his first dog show.

It is  true, however, that they will follow their noses to a fault and that they will find any available way out. We had to completely over hall the fence when Tucker came to live with us. We have had the other two dogs in the same yard for years and no one EVER got out.

I think these are minor things in exchange for the Beagles sweet personality.