Doberman Discussions

• Bronze
    I, too have my first Dobe of my own but have been around these dogs for some time. I recently adopted a 11 month old Red Dobe from a rescue and he is everything that would be typically used to describe a Dobe.
    He is very much the velcro-Dobe and has to be everywhere I am.
    He is absoloutely fantastic with my kids as I have a 3 Yr. old and a 4Yr. old so they can be quite the test at times. Duffy usually will just move if their invading his space or bothering him in another way.
    I do try to stay fairly close and try to make the little ones understand he's a big dog and that they have to respect him so that respect will be returned. He's also been very good with our black Lab. Sophie but if he takes things a little too far she lets him know and he backs right off. He is great with all people he meets but is protective of his territory. Originally he didn't seem to care about any other dogs while we were walking but lately if the other dog barks first then he will get a little worked up!
    I am starting an obedience class for him so I am anxious to see how this will go.
    When we got him he was not housetrained and it took him all of about 2-3 days and he had it down.
    He doesn't care for the rain either and when I put him out if it is raining I sometimes have to prompt him to go down the steps to the grass.
    All and all I've loved this breed for a long time and will definitely be getting another when the time comes!!
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    I understand - they leave a legacy for all those wonderful qualities, and all the challenges they present that make us better dog owners and handlers.
    I just caution folks reading who think that the great Dobes we have/had are like Labs.  Just in sensitivity (both physically and temperamentally) the breeds are very different.  Generally Labs will tolerate so much more, and faster, than an average Dobe. 

I love my Dobes and the breed is exactly what I want. 
    • Gold Top Dog
    I totally agree with you miranadobe. This breed is not for the faint of heart. You must be a confident leader or these dogs will run the show if they can! They are a very demanding breed IMO. Its not really a good breed for a first time dog owner either...unless you know what you are getting into.

These dogs will steal your heart and then use that to their advantage to get what they want! haha But I wouldn't have it any other way. How can you look into these eyes and NOT reach down to scratch him behind the ears?

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    These dogs will steal your heart and then use that to their advantage to get what they want!

ABSOLUTELY!!!  I've fallen in love with your Prince just from that picture... aawww!!!!  [:D]
    • Gold Top Dog
    Let me tell you, he knows how to play me like a fiddle. Even with strict NILIF he can still find ways around it....[8|]

In the mornings, once I head to the fridge he zooooooms to his spot where he is supposed to wait for a command before I give him his kong and does the most PERFECT laydown you can imagine. His ears are perked high and his posture is stiff with anticipation. Before I can even give any command he is laying down, waiting, no whining, and stays perfectly still. How can I resist that???? (maybe I need a training course!)

• Bronze
    Dobes Dobes Dobes! Wonderful, Loyal and with a challenging intellect. I love my dobe, he's a choc/tan lad, he loves his mum (me [&o] ;) and if anything comes near the house he's at the window warning them off! Such an amazing breed, his companionship has got me through some very rough times. He's a bit of a cry baby at times and whines like crazy? I really dont know what to do to remedy this?  I know when I loose him it will leave a hole in my heart, but after having the pleasure of his company I shant be converting to another breed. Well he's not two yet so theres still a while for him to look after me [:)]
    • Bronze
    Very true they are such an amazing breed.
    Challenging intellect, very true!!
    It's amazing that these big dogs can be a little bit babyish, but they really are great dogs.
    What exactly does your dog whine about?
    Yes at 2 Yrs. of age you should have quite a few years of enjoyment left.
     I will never stop being amazed by this breed.
    They are so many things 1 word cannot sum it up!
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog
    Barring any injury/discomfort, whining often means - I WANT THAT!  Whether it's your attention, the cat in the other room, the birds fluttering at the feeder outside your window.
    Drives me nuts - and Gracie's learned that it gets her nothing but the "OUT" command and not what she wants.  Otherwise, that whine becomes a tool of manipulation.  They know it drives you nuts, so they use it to get your attention for something/anything.  Conniving little beasts we adore so much...![;)]
    • Gold Top Dog
    Although Sally is not a dobe, I totally feel you with the whining.  We were at the drive-in movies last weekend, in line waiting to get in (we were in the car), and we had brought Sally, since we never leave the car anyway.  There were kids plying in the grassy area next to us while we were waiting and they had a large red ball that looked JUSt like one of Sally's beloved plastic ball and she whiiinnnneeed for it everytime she would see it.  Finally we put her in a downstay so she couldn't see it and she took to moaning like we were killing her [8|]....
    • Puppy
    I LOVE DOEBERMANS!!!!!  When I was preganant with my daughter, I hadt the most adorable, sweet Doberman in the whole world!!  She would lay her head on my belly, and growl when my husband came near...like she was saying "Dont come near MY baby, man!!!!!!"  She was really great.  I miss her something awful...after my daughter was born, I didnt have time for her and the new baby...so I gave her to a man that had just got laid off, and was looking for a birthday present for his children...made a happy ending for a wonderful dog.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Sorry I'm so late, I just discovered this thread now. I have an almost 8 year old Doberman name Winston whom we adopted through a Dobe rescue last March. He was neglected, abused and only weighed 40lbs when he was rescued. While I can't say the Dobe is my favourite breed (I love sporting & herding breeds), I do love them and know many. Winston is a wonderful dog though, as are most Dobes. Here's a pic of him:
    • Puppy
    Hi,
    I'm new on this forum, but I need advice from other dobie owners.  I have a two year old Dobie--He has a back yard and my roommate's dog to play with.  When I am hope, I spend as much time with him as possible, I do work 8 hours a day though. 

When we moved into this house, I noticed he had started digging holes, I never caught him doing it.  Well it has progressivly gotten worse.  I cannot figure out why he is doing it because he gets more than enough exercise and attention.

Does anyone have any advice, been through the same thing, etc?
    Thanks!
    • Gold Top Dog
    He is likely bored as well as needing more exercise.  Start obedience training with multiple practice sessions every day.  Take him new places and make him work on ignoring distractions and attending to you (better come prepared with treats and toys).  Start teaching him tricks.
    • Puppy
    Thanks so much for your reply!

I know he gets plenty of exercise, but I have been lax with his training the past few weeks.  I used to take him out every day for about a 20 minute session, lately it's been about 4 days a week. 

But my rommate has a dog that lives in the house and plays all day as well with him, but you really think he might still be bored?  I'm just worried he might have some seperation anxiety, even though I spend a lot of time with him when I am home.  I get home from work about 6 p.m. and I pretty much stay with him the rest of the night.

I've seen where people tie toys to trees in the backyard, would that help? 

• Gold Top Dog
    my experience with multiple dobes, yup bored or bored and loves to dig.  I did teach mine to dig on command in approved areas, much easier.