Clueless about what breed to get?

• Bronze

Clueless about what breed to get?

My current dog is going to be sent to mexico soon (where my dad lives half the time and also, she'll have tons of room to run) due to some issues with rain (she's scared of it and becomes destructive) and my parents don't want to deal with it anymore. I'm not really that close to her (but I like her very very much) because she was raised by my parents and I never really had to care for her. She's also really independent and is an outdoor dog (aaah, where the destruction and rain comes in).

Anyway, my dad says I get a new dog buuut it really has to be my dog -- i have to feed, train, clean, etc. it and I get to choose it. It'll stay home for college though.

Er.. I'm not sure what kind of breed I want but the requirements are:

-small to small-ish. my  dog right now is like 17-18 inches, I believe. Maybe 35-40lbs. I'd like a dog around 15in or less. It's going to be an indoor dog this time hench the size.

-low maintenance. Shorter fur for easy cleanup, non-daily brushing. Excercise e is okay, I can take it on walks and let it run outside.

-not too jumpy. My dad said it can't be too hyper (but I love dogs that run around, just not dogs that JUMP. ).

-quiet. My dog is really quiet right now, I guess it's her nature but I love that about her. I guess this can be trained though?

-weather resistant. I live in Texas so it's really hot during the summer and mild in the winter.

And that's about it. Some of my favorite dogs are pugs (not good for hot weather, i presume?) and corgis and beagles but I'm open to anything (mixes too)

+ I don't know if I should go with a puppy (training and destruction) or just a younger dog (less than 2 years preferably...) from a shelter or something. And if I don't get a dog at a shelter, do I get it from the newspaper, a breeders, eh? I'm clueless about that.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Well, Beagles are NOT quiet, lol. They have a very loud hound bay that they use liberally. [:D] Training a dog not to bark is something that can be REALLY hard with some breeds who barking is almost as natural to as breathing.

It sounds like your current dog might be an Asian Breed? They have a natural reserve and most are very quiet. Beagles and Pugs are more "doggy" dogs- outgoing and exuberant. You can't really train them to have a different personality. As you can see I have Shih Tzus and they usually have the natural reserve and quietness that you're describing with your current dog. I also really like that in a dog; however, Fudge (as luck would have it, lol) is like a Pug in a Tzu body. [:-] So there are different temperaments within a breed also. Honestly it sounds like Shih Tzu are a good match for you in some ways- not in the grooming department, but the good thing is that they're non shedding and if you keep them clipped really short you don't have to brush them much. I live in Virginia, which has VERY humid, hot summers. We just go for walks in the morning or evening and limit time out in the heat.

As far as Corgis, I can't comment on them too much, but they are a herding breed so tend to nip at heels and display other herding behaviors if you don't teach them not to. I think they're also a fairly active breed that needs a job to do.

Other suggestions- you may like Shiba Inus. [:)] They're about 20-30 pounds and naturally reserved.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/shiba.htm
    • Gold Top Dog
    A corgi sounds good, but not necessarily quiet. My corgi is not too bad, but she does tend to yap incessantly when she's very excited. I can get her to be quiet, but it's tough for her sometimes. [:)] She can be taught to be quiet, but it's not easy for her to obey all the time! Otherwise, a corgi would be pretty perfect. My corgi is my first dog and I got her as a teenager. She can take as much or as little exercise as you care to give her, though she does get destructive if I haven't taken her out of the yard in, like, a number of weeks. Who can blame her?

Maybe consider a Cardigan corgi. I hear they are a little quieter than Pembrokes, and I've heard some unsubstantiated rumours that they might be less prone to back problems.

Shibas are a cool breed, but they can be real naughty when they want to be. I've met a few and some were very aloof whereas others were super friendly. None of them were very fussed about doing what they were told, though. They seem a quiet, easy to care for breed, but I suspect they might wander if given the chance.

This is maybe just my opinion, but I think double-coated dogs do better in hot climates than dogs with short, sleek coats. It seems to offer them a bit of insulation. I live in Australia, which I guess is comparable to Texas, but a little more humid. It's my opinion that the corgi copes with the heat better than my mother's single-coated vallhund. They're both the same size and shape and are both black and about as active as each other. On hot days, all the dogs go under the house. When they come out, the corgi's coat feels quite cool to the touch whereas the vallhund feels a little cooler than body temperature. I've noticed that the vallhund tends to retreat to the shade earlier than the corgi, and he also pants more than she does when they're in the heat. My feeling is black dogs feel the heat more than lighter coloured dogs, and single-coated dogs feel the heat more than double-coated ones. The nice thing about double-coated dogs is that they can also cope fine with cold nights. My corgi once decided to spend the night outside with her bone in the middle of winter while I was living somewhere a lot colder than the coast. It was good frost temperature. She was not at all phased.

So that's what I think, anyway. I don't know much about other common breeds that size, but Petit Basset Griffon Vandeens (PBGV) seem like a great little breed to me, and also the Lagotto. I think both are pretty uncommon, though. Vallhunds are awesome, but very noisy and rare besides.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Your all-purpose mixed breed shelter dog will do just fine for your requirements. Go pick a dog that is the size, personality, and (bonus!) exact coat and color you had in mind and you will have a winner and save a life too.

As to jumpy, that's largely a training issue. Don't pick a dog at the shelter that is hurling itself against the bars from excitement, but understand that you might get your new dog home and he or she will develop the habit of jumping up to greet you anyway. Probably not as enthusiastically and persistently as the wall-bouncer at the shelter, but it's still something that can come up later. There's simple ways to nip that habit in the bud - you'll want to train your new dog to be a mannerly member of society in many other ways as well.

As to weather - well, the nice thing about shelter dogs is that survival of the fittest is usually at work among dogs that have been breeding randomly, as most shelter mutts have. Your new dog is likely to have an average size, average need for exercise, average tolerance for the local weather conditions, and best of all an average nice temperament. Nasty dogs get killed by their owners, the neighbors (in rural areas), or animal control (in metro areas) and are much less likely to reproduce.

Good luck!
    • Silver
    I would check out petfinder.com and your local shelter.  You should probably not go for a puppy if you are leaving for college because you will not have time to properly bond and train the dog or deal with "puppy-ness."

I agree that shelter dogs usually have great temperments- websites like petfinder also give you a clue into personality, temperment, training- or any other quirks they have observed- like good with children, quiet, skiddish...stuff like that.  With a pup, you really don't know what the dogs real temperment will be (aside from qualities dictated by breed)
    • Bronze
    Luvntzus -- My dog looks like a small, sleeker labrador. I have no idea what she is other than that though because the people we bought her from said she is half golden, which I seriously doubt because she's so small and short haired. >__< I don't know why she doesn't bark, maybe it's because she is so independent and doesn't care about what people do?Heh. That's my best guess but it's probably wrong, lol. I wouldn't mind a dog that barks, just not one that barks excessively like... a guard dog.

And I think Shi Tzus are soooo adorable but the low maintenance requirement is my dads >_< But do they really not shed!? Aaaah, that's amazing. [:)] How often do you have to get them trimmed?

The Shiba Inu is the perfect size, very cute and seems perfect in all other requirements. I'm not sure if they're common in this area so getting one might be hard (or it might not be. eh.).

corvus -- Someone I know has a corgi and it only barks if provoked, when 'chatting' with other dogs, if you have food, or if you just stepped outside... lol, it sounds like it's always barking when I put it that way >__< But I don't mind something like that. Just not, again, constant omgaaaaah barking. And even if a corgi is loud, I wouldn't mind because they're crazy cute ^______^ The dog also chases/herds basketballs and the owners son.

I didn't know they were so weather resistant though. Nice to know [:)] I don't know much about the other dogs, but I'll look into them... And Shiba Inus seem kind of unpredictable, put that way [&:]

brookcove -- I was thinking about a shelter dog anyway buuut a long time ago my parents bought a sick dog from a shelter and we had to return it (I also think it was too young to leave it's mother)  :( How do you know what a healthy dog looks like, acts like? I don't know what to look for in a shelter dog (or any other dog, for that matter) >__<

Zoe and Zuma --
    I have a good 4 years before I leave, lol, so I'd have enough time. Getting to know the dog before I actually get it sounds really nice.[:)]

edit -- How are American Eskimo dogs? The fur is a little long but it looks manageable. And it's the right size!

edit edit -- Shiba Inus seem to act exactly like my current dog does according to the description on iloveshibas.com ... idk how I feel about that. I kinda want a clingier dog but then again I'm already used to independent dogs...
    • Gold Top Dog
    one of the most important things to consider is how much exercise you're willing to give the dog. If you're a watch-TV kind of person and you get a high energy working or hunting breed dog you and the dog will be miserable.
    • Gold Top Dog
    what i think you should do is visit the local shelter, meet the dogs there, talk to the staff, maybe visit and walk one on one with some of the dogs..... if you have a pet smart then the best idea would be to talk to their foster families and see if they have a prospect. the foster will have a better grasp on a rescues personality, you'll know any bad habits or training.. where as if you go to a shelter you are risking it since the dogs are in a stressful environment... but if you are willing to take a chance, that would be one way to go.

a lot of people dont recommend looking in the paper... i wouldnt look in the paper to buy a dog... but there are people who advertise "oops" litters, free to good homes and such. which i dont think is a bad thing all the time. they are taking their own time finding homes, the puppies are staying with their mom and learning to be social with each other, and they have just as much to risk finding homes this way as they would in the pound. most pounds just want a physical address and proof of residency.... and of course you must pay to adopt. if you dont mind doing that, then that's fine.. but just some things to consider. some adoption fees can be quite expensive... but so can buying a pure bred puppy.

ETA
    my mom adopted a bichon/maltese mix.... we found her the day the dog was dropped off.... you want to talk about clingy? this dog pines away if my mom doesnt return soon.
    i keep her trimmed because my mom doesnt have time for it... that was the deal actually.. she got the dog as a form of therapy for my grandmother and i would do all the grooming. i just give her a trim every two months plus the bath when needed, and since her hair short she doesnt have a problem with tangles. when you make it a routine and keep up with it .. a high maintenance dog isnt really all that bad. you just have to set your priorities right.
    • Bronze
    Mmm... I like to jog in the morning during the summer and on weekends (or after dinner) but I'd say I want a dog that needs moderate activity. And I have a nice sized backyard for it to run around in.

I'm leaning towards getting  a dog at a shelter because there are a lot of places in the area and my current dog is a mix and very healthy (I know it's a generalization though >__< ). And I can't seem to find any good breeders around here.
    • Gold Top Dog
    I don't think I wuold recommend either a corgi OR an eskie for your situation. Frankly, they need training to be good companions, and I don't know how much time or effort you're going to be able to put in. (Additionally, they both shed a LOT. I don't think your parents will like that.)

In your situation, I would just look for a small mix on Petfinder.org. I think you might do well with a rat terrier or rat terrier mix, in all honesty, or possibly SOME chihuahua mixes. I do think I would look for a middle-aged dog, not a young one, and I would stick to rescue groups, rather than shelters, ro at least shelters that use foster homes.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Well, I'd personally suggest a little mutt, and a young adult at that. Eski's are cute little dogs, but all the ones I've met were little...................... brats is the best word I can find. As for Corgi's, just because they're herders doesn't mean they nip at ankles, it all depends on how much working lines are in their background. And they can be vocal, not all, but some. They are nice little dogs though and I'm going to get one someday.

But, if this is going to be your first dog, not your families dog, I would seriously consider getting a young adult small mutt from the shelter. You can't tell what a puppy is going to be like when it grows up as it's personality isn't fully developed yet but you know what you're getting when you get an adult. I have a German Shepherd mix who I adopted at 9 weeks(he's now 1), had I known he was going to become leash reactive I probably would have gone with his brother or even his sister had I known they weren't, but I didn't. So now I'm stuck dealing with this, trying to train him out of being a brat(at least not trying to drag me across the sidewalk to get the mean doggy) when we walk by dogs who are in their yards. Don't get me wrong, I love Rio and won't get rid of him just because of this problem. Unlike my Aussie he actually knows he's MY dog, not my mom's dog. My point is that if I had gotten an adult dog, I'd have known what I was getting.

Shiva
    • Bronze

But, if this is going to be your first dog, not your families dog, I would seriously consider getting a young adult small mutt from the shelter. You can't tell what a puppy is going to be like when it grows up as it's personality isn't fully developed yet but you know what you're getting when you get an adult. I have a German Shepherd mix who I adopted at 9 weeks(he's now 1), had I known he was going to become leash reactive I probably would have gone with his brother or even his sister had I known they weren't, but I didn't. So now I'm stuck dealing with this, trying to train him out of being a brat(at least not trying to drag me across the sidewalk to get the mean doggy) when we walk by dogs who are in their yards. Don't get me wrong, I love Rio and won't get rid of him just because of this problem. Unlike my Aussie he actually knows he's MY dog, not my mom's dog. My point is that if I had gotten an adult dog, I'd have known what I was getting.

Mmm... I've pretty much decided I want a young dog from a shelter because I remember the messes my dog made when she was little [&:] And I doubt I can properly housetrain a dog (at least not easily). Plus I know its size and personality, but what's considered young? 1-2 years?
    • Gold Top Dog
    Another option is choosing a breed and then going through breed rescue. The dogs are in foster homes so they can give you a really good idea of the dog's personality. I used to work in a shelter and one of the problems is that it can be really hard to see a dog's true personality in that high stress environment. Also, a lot of times breeders will have adult dogs that they place in pet homes either because they turned out not to be show quality, don't fit into the breeding program or are being retired from showing/breeding. These dogs are usually about 1-6 years old.
    • Gold Top Dog
    Yes, 1-2 is considered young. One is still a puppy and 2 is when they're considered an adult. Though if you ask the people I work with they'll tell you my Rio isn't a puppy anymore just because of how big he is.

Luvntzus, a rescue is a good idea, but some rescues are extremely picky about who their dogs go to. I don't know where this poster lives, but some rescues wouldn't dream of adopting to a kid, even if the parents are okay with it. They'd want to know that the parents will be responsible for the dog for the most part. Then again some don't and just want their dogs to be placed in loving homes. And there are also mixed breeds in rescues too.

For the most part though for shelter dogs, you can tell what they're going to be like. A dog that's quiet and shy at the shelter will usually be quiet and shy at home and the dog that's jumping all over the place will be like that at home too.

Shiva
    • Silver
    I would definitely steer you away from a shiba.  They are stubborn little monsters and quite difficult to train.  They are also extreme escape artists when it comes to fenced in yards and without a fenced in yard will probably clear a half mile or more before they decide to come back to you.  You'll have to really escape proof that fence and some of them treat a chainlink fence about like a ladder.  They just fly up and over them.  I think they also shed a considerable amount.  If they are anywhere near my akita you'll have piles of hair everywhere unless you sweep frequently.  They may have a short coat but it's double coated, thick, and fuzzy.  I've heard people mention daily brushings with an undercoat rake on their shibas.  I wanted a shiba for the small size but after talking to many shiba breeders/owners and the shiba L mailing list I went and got an akita.  Very large but much less energetic, much easier to train(as far the japanese breeds are concerned), and much easier to keep confined.  I'd reserve shibas, and pretty much all the japanese breeds, for experienced dog owners only.

If you want a small medium to high energy dog that doesn't jump go get a terrier and train it not to jump.  My friend is in love with boston terriers and I didn't find his dogs to be overwhelming.  They knew not to jump so they just wiggled all around me wanting petted.  They'll jump up on their hindlegs but they do 2-3' away from you so they won't hit you.  I also have a friend who breeders yorkshire terriers and it's the same with them.  They were taught not to jump and just greet you with a wagging tail(long coated breed though).  Any dog will jump.  I'm currently working on that with my akita puppy and they are rather calm and very reserved breed.  You have to teach them not to jump.  Just like you have to teach them what to chew on or not to chew on, not to steal things off the counter, and where to go potty.  If you aren't up to that I'd really suggest going to the shelter and looking at young adult dogs that have some training.  That way they are already housebroke and you can specifically look for one that doesn't jump on but meets your other requirements.  There are tons of breeds that could work if you are willing to teach them what they need to know and any of those breeds mixed together will also work so I'd go stop by a shelter.