chinese imperial (shih tzu)

• Gold Top Dog

Hello, We own a 15lb shih tzu(we believe hes all shih tzu). he is a rescue who looked awful thinking back, but is a beauty now! I've noticed he's very attached and protective to his owne$(my sister)r, and we know he has seperation anxiety. I'm thinking its more his background then breed. he's or first shih tzu so it not a testiment to the breed as we are learning still.

He is fine with 10 year olds scooping him up or just cuddling with him infront of the TV(they'd never met prior), and while hes a toy breed he handles his own. he's very excitable. I believe they are one of the sturdiest of the real small dogs. which is good for people with kids, as its usually not recommended to have small dogs. I would suggest getting one that that is young, but not a small puppy, and finding a good trainer early as it makes life easier. Big Smile

on the imperials subject; creating a new breed is fine(not that we have ANY remote need) as long as thats the real goal. I see imperials as another designer name to go with teacups, "warlock dobermans", and the designer mutts that are gaining respect because of the term "hybrid" instead of mutt. A range in size that (7lbs, and you will find plunty of natural exceptions) big should be enough for people. I see tiny 2lb chihuahuas and its a bit gross to see the owners so thrilled because it can wear barbie clothes(exaggeration)- when its clearly deformed and poorly bred.

• Gold Top Dog

I dont know - maybe its just me - I am all for creating a new breed, for a purpose. I just dont see creating a "new breed" just for size. What is the true functionality or purpose in that? So they can fit in your purse? So you can take them everywhere? At what expense?

• Gold Top Dog

Our shih-tzu is a big one. She is very dense and thick. She isn't fat but she normally weighs from 14-20 lbs. She is our lineback or a flying defense back that intercepts any dog coming back from fetching the toy.

She is a lovable and cuddle dog. She loves to rough house and won't take anything from the Husky in our little group.