Pick a breed/dog for us :)

• Gold Top Dog

Pick a breed/dog for us :)

Hey guys... BF's parents have a boxer who was just diagnosed with lymphoma. All sad things aside, they're starting to think about what kind of dog they want after he passes. Right now he has no symptoms, so will probably have at least another year or two with them, but if they decide to go with a purebred they know it can take time to get on a list etc., so...

Basic idea: they want a "guard dog." A dog that will discourage people from snooping around when BF's mother is out by herself in the garden. Their house is fairly isolated and they want some sort of deterrent in case any weirdos come along. That said, she also tutors math from her house, so she wants a dog with a really stellar, friendly temperament. Just that looks or sounds like it could be a good protector.

Coat: Something that requires minimal work and can stand getting dirty. Minimal shedding preferred, because they don't like to vacuum! They wouldn't mind taking it to a groomer once every month or two, though.

Exercise needs: fairly minimal. They have a lot of land, so the dog can run around by itself to its heart's content, but they don't want to have to take it for daily runs or anything.

Prey drive: minimal - they have cats! also, the dog needs to be able to get along with Rascal, because I don't want to mess up my sweet free dog sitting arrangement ;)

Health: long lifespan, no major genetic issues. Their last boxer also died from a degenerative genetic disease (around 12 years old) and they want a dog that's going to be healthier.

I can't think of anything else to add. Any ideas? They're not set on a purebred vs. mutt vs. whatever, as long as the basic criteria are met.

I'm reluctant to tell them to just go to the pound and pick something out, since I don't think they're experienced enough to know if what they're picking is going to be a good fit.

Would love any insight!

• Gold Top Dog

What they want will be pretty hard to find, IMO.  I'd recommend a show bred Lab  or a Golden but shedding and health issues eliminate both those breeds even when selecitng a breeder very carefully.  Most of the sporting, working and herding breeds have one or more of the traits they want but also some of the traits they don't want.   Look into standard poodles just for the fun of it. :)  

What they want is the perfect breed or what they consider perfect.  I'm not being snarky but they're probably going to have to compromise on their wish list.   I'm no expert on all dog breeds out there so maybe some others will come along with some suggestions for you.

• Gold Top Dog
    Thanks, Jackie! Haha, yeah, I agree - who doesn't want the perfect dog? :) Compromise is not a problem. Temperament is the #1 priority, and after that they can be flexible.

Funny that you mentioned poodles, because that's what BF's mother first said when she admitted she was considering a non-boxer. Perhaps we will look at them more seriously!

• Gold Top Dog
    My vote would be a male GSD.  But, I'm biased.  Smile
    • Gold Top Dog

I've got no personal experience with standard poodles. I've met and fallen in love with a few over the years.  When the AKC opened up retriever hunt tests to the breed I seriously considered getting one. :)   I'm sure it's like many breeds and you can find a breeder who has a line of dogs with the temperment your inlaws are looking for.  If the right one fell into my lap and I didn't already have four dogs, I'd jump at the chance to own one. :) 

• Gold Top Dog
    Std poodles might be an option but they do have a lot of energy. They arent really a dog that will go out and tear up a yard by itself either. Any dog that will go out and wander acreage has prey drive. Like jackie said, compromise is really a must. All the solid temp gaurdy breeds are big shedders, that i know, or they have health issues. Statistically speaking, black dogs are generalized as threatening...so you could use that to find a shelter dog. Go with a black lab mix or black newf mix black dobe mix, etc. Get a gabbyG look a like!
    • Gold Top Dog
    A black dog is a good idea! I think what's most important is that it have a good-sounding bark, and be big enough to feel reassuring. (They live in a really safe area, but they do border on a wildlife refuge with a lot of trails.)

Forget gabbyG lookalike, can we just take her? ;)

• Gold Top Dog

Forget gabbyG lookalike, can we just take her? ;)

She's packing her bags now! lol 

• Gold Top Dog

What about a Rottweiler?  They would fit the list of needs pretty well.  They are definitely a "guard dog" in the sense that you mention.  Their coat is very minimal work.  They do shed, but are short haired so that cuts down on the mess a bit.  The excercise needs are easy to accomodate.  We walk Timmy most evenings after work, but if we work late and miss an evening or two or three, he doesn't mind.  The prey drive is minimal...with their own "herd".  Timmy has learned/been taught what it "ours" and he is excellent with our other animals.  Teaching him to avoid our birds was a MUST from puppyhood.  He's had birds land on him, near him, fly by and knows not to touch them.  Health wise they are a pretty healthy breed with cancer being their downfall - what breed avoids cancer nowadays anyway?  I'd definitely get one from a good breeder as a puppy and train train train.  We picked the "boisterous" puppy from the litter with fair warning from our breeder - her exact words are "he will be a HANDFULL of a puppy so be prepared to WORK but with proper training and once he hits two, he will be a great dog".  She was exactly right.  He was a handfull and a half.  Constantly testing his boundaries.  NILF non-stop was our best friend.   Once he hit two it was like a light went off and he just seemed to get everything we'd been working towards.  From a good breeder, a solid friendly temperment shouldn't be a problem.  That was a main reason we picked our breeder.  We had neices and nephews our dogs would be around so we wanted a solid temperment.  Timmy loves everyone and hes great around kids, he seems to know his size and knows to be careful around them. 

• Gold Top Dog

The GSD fails the shedding, exercise, health issues, and prey drive.

Honestly my Coke fits the bill really well except for the shedding, aren't going to find many medium-larger deterrent type dogs (either looks or temperament) without a lot of shedding.  Coke is not aggressive at all but he's big and black and people think he's a giant Rottweiler and are often scared of him.  He requires very little to no exercise or training, very laid back dog, loves to be out in the yard lounging around and patrolling his property.  The catch - he's a mutt of unidentifiable mix.  Maybe they could browse shelters and rescues, look for an adult dog?

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

My initial thought was a GSD, until I read the "minimal shedding" and "prey drive" components.  Rottweiler fails the prey drive component, too, sorry Timmy.  Much as I love you. :)  If they went Rott, I'd suggest a female.  I think a male Rott is not something you go into lightly, or without heavy Working Dog experience and loads of time training.  Opt for a female instead. 

This piece has me concerned -

They have a lot of land, so the dog can run around by itself to its heart's content,

is their land fenced?  If not, they need a puppy of a breed that does not wander and they need to do a lot of perimeter training, and they need to be prepared for the worst.

I don't know too many breeds these days living beyond 12yrs old that don't have loads of energy that requires exercising.  Well, aside from hounds like a Whippet, and that's not the breed who would intimidate a stranger/be a guard dog, and def should not have free open land to bolt.

• Gold Top Dog
    The free wandering concerns me too...BUT plenty of LGD breeds do this very thing. BUT, LGD's also..perimieter and night BARK...is that something they can deal with? They might consider an Anatolian or a Kangal...both are quite nice dogs with their people...and strangers if they are welcomed by the family. They do shed but they are not a heavy groom breed. Coat is thick but short in length. If they think they can handle a dog that has an independant mind an Anatolian or Kangal might suit. Lifespan is around 11-13 years which is very good for a dog their size.
    • Gold Top Dog
    They have an electric fence for their land (about 5 acres), but the dog isn't left outside alone. (In addition to general electric fence concerns, it's not safe because they have a lot of wildlife nearby.) BF's mom is an avid gardener, so the dog's job is to keep her company while she is out working with the plants (in the summer, that's 5+ hours/day). One of their neighbors has a Great Pyrenees, I'll see if they can talk to their neighbor about whether a LGD temperament sounds like something they'd like.

If they do decide to get a shelter dog, any ideas on how to pick one out? Lies, did you have any clues when you got him about how Coke would turn out?

• Gold Top Dog

What about a failed service dog? They would know what they are getting, it will already be trained not sure if it would bark at a stranger but it might be worth them looking into.

http://www.adai.org/ourdogs/fabulousflunkies.html

• Gold Top Dog

If they do decide to get a shelter dog, any ideas on how to pick one out? Lies, did you have any clues when you got him about how Coke would turn out?

Yes but we got him when he was 1.5 and had been with a foster family so they told us all about him, no surprises.