We can't figure out his ancestry; any thoughts?

• Bronze

We can't figure out his ancestry; any thoughts?

Hi,

This is my first post here.

My wife and I adopted a 5 year old mixed breed about 3 weeks ago, and he has filled a spot in our hearts and lives that we didn't know was missing.  Bailey's a wonderful dog, calm, rarely barks, loves his walks, and likes to play.  He's a bit of a picky eater.  He has an odd habit, when out walking, of locking onto a scent like a laser beam; once he does that, he reminds me of some kind of hound and will keep his nose to the ground and follow wherever it leads him.  We're curious about his background.  The shelter where he had been living for the last 18 months said they thought he was border collie and husky, but we're not so sure.  First of all, he weighs 90 lbs, and we don't think either of those breeds get that large.  Second, we've owned both border collies and huskies, and have never seen either track that way.  Maybe he has some English Setter in him?

Does anyone have an idea as to his background from the photos?  It doesn't change how much we love him; we're just curious!

Thanks in advance,
    Charlie

Bailey 1 20-Feb-2011

Bailey 2

Bailey 3 20-Feb-2011 

Bailey 4 8-Feb-2011 

• Gold Top Dog

First of all, he weighs 90 lbs, and we don't think either of those breeds get that large.

Wink You're right. Neither Huskies nor Border Collies usually get that big, but the dog is obese, as you probably already know, so he may look a bit different once you have him for a while and can get him down to a healthy weight.  I don't know what he is, but he looks like a real sweetie pie.

• Gold Top Dog

I think once you get his weight down it will help cos he is chunky.  If there *is* suspicion of husky then he's likely malamute instead and they DO get that big (breed standard for a mal is up to 85 pounds for a male).

And border collie can also be easily mistaken for australian shepherd (yes they come in black and white, too!).  Herders but a different 'type' of herding mechanism.

But any time you get a blend of herding dogs it's going to change how they 'herd'.  They will still have the desire to herd, but if you mix a herder with something more independant and driven like a mal it's going to change how *this* dog views his job.  In his prior home he may have had to adapt how he herds and this may just be his view on his job.

It will be interesting to see how he adapts to you folks and works!  Congratulations on your new family member!!  Thanks for the pics -- that's always so much fun! (and you posted your pics just fine!!)

Welcome!!

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

Could be some ESS in there, based on the hair pattern.  But that's the way I see the world.

Welcome.

• Bronze

Thanks to everyone for their comments!

First, we know he's overweight.  The shelter was very open and took responsibility for that, saying that they just couldn't exercise the number of dogs that they kept the way they should, especially in the winter.  Bailey got a lot of knuckles and other fatty foods.  But I can't fault the shelter; they fed and housed this dog for 18 months and kept him alive so we could adopt him, for which we are grateful.

They did say that his ribs were showing and he was very thin when first rescued, and weighed 65 pounds at the time. They estimated that 75 pounds is his "correct" weight.  (According to the vet, he is down from 90 pounds to 86 in three weeks.  We've been walking together 1 1/2 to 2 miles per day.)

It also crossed my mind that maybe the "Husky" was actually "Malamute", which would explain his being 75 pounds.

So maybe he's a border collie/malamute with a little English Setter thrown in... We're just treating him as "Bailey", and we'll work it out from there.  It's just nice to have a possible explanation for certain behaviors.

Thanks again for your comments, and for making me feel welcome on the site!

Charlie

• Gold Top Dog

Actually I know of a dog that could be his twin...IS that big and the ancestry is known. Lab X Akita. She was a member or somewhere I hang out...the dog's nameis Heartly because of the heart shaped marking on his side. Here he is.

LINK TO VIDEO

• Gold Top Dog
    I was thinking Akita mix too, Gina
    • Gold Top Dog

I'm not sure the mix but if you would have just taken a pic of his one leg I might have said Dalmation!  :)

He's cute though whatever he is!

• Gold Top Dog

rwbeagles
    Actually I know of a dog that could be his twin...IS that big and the ancestry is known. Lab X Akita...

I was thinking there was some Lab in there someplace, too.  He kind of reminds me ofa bigger version of the dog my husband's sister had.  When they adopted him, they were told he was Akita/Australian Cattle Dog mix. The shelter said Akita only because he had a curled tail.  LOL  Anyway- he only matured to about 65-70 pounds.  I really think he was ACD/Border Collie.

As for the ticking on his legs- lots of breeds have it- off the top of my head- English Setters, English and Welsh Springer Spaniels and German Shorthaired Pointers come to mind. I've seen Beagles and Akitas with it, too.

ETA- I'm guessing from your username that you're from NJ.  Where abouts?  I'm about 15 mins from the Delaware Water Gap. 

• Gold Top Dog

I used to sit for a dog that looked very similar to him and he was a border collie mix.  Although, I can see in that last picture where some might think Akita mix too.

He's really cute and sweet looking! 

• Bronze

Hi,

We never considered an Australian Cattle Dog, but several comments suggested that the ACD might be part of Bailey's background, too.  I'm biased, but I think he's a cute boy, too...

Micksmom, yes, we live in Middlesex County, NJ.

Thanks,

Charlie

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

erica1989
    I was thinking Akita mix too, Gina

Me three - his build actually reminds me a lot of Patrick (RIP), as does the tail (not that tails mean a whole heckuva lot as compared to head and body outline, of course)
    • Gold Top Dog

Pretty please, don't take umbrage at the comments he needs to trim down - you've only had him 3 weeks AND you already mentioned his walks.  You probably won't seriously have to 'diet' him -- just getting exercise and a proper diet will rectify a whole lot.

When a dog comes in emaciated there's always the temptation (particularly of some kindly-hearted folks) to think you have to 'fatten them up' which is pretty old-school.  Mostly they just need good quality food.  I'd rather get a few pounds off a dog who is mentally stable because he was kept ocdupied than deal with the dog who was an emotional wreck because he wasn't given anything to keep him busy while in his crate and he made himself a nervous wreck.

Glad to see you posting -- there are a bunch of nice folks on here and I'm going to get totally tickled seeing how he settles in!!

• Gold Top Dog

I don't have any breed guesses.  I wanted to say welcome and that I think it's awesome that you adopted this guy.  After spending 18 months in a shelter, he finally hit the jackpot.  Big Smile    He's a handsome fella whatever mix of breeds he is.

• Gold Top Dog

NJFishRGuy

Thanks to everyone for their comments!

First, we know he's overweight.  The shelter was very open and took responsibility for that, saying that they just couldn't exercise the number of dogs that they kept the way they should, especially in the winter.  Bailey got a lot of knuckles and other fatty foods.  But I can't fault the shelter; they fed and housed this dog for 18 months and kept him alive so we could adopt him, for which we are grateful.

They did say that his ribs were showing and he was very thin when first rescued, and weighed 65 pounds at the time. They estimated that 75 pounds is his "correct" weight.  (According to the vet, he is down from 90 pounds to 86 in three weeks.  We've been walking together 1 1/2 to 2 miles per day.)

It also crossed my mind that maybe the "Husky" was actually "Malamute", which would explain his being 75 pounds.

So maybe he's a border collie/malamute with a little English Setter thrown in... We're just treating him as "Bailey", and we'll work it out from there.  It's just nice to have a possible explanation for certain behaviors.

Thanks again for your comments, and for making me feel welcome on the site!

Charlie

Actually, your shelter did better than the one my dog came from.  He wasn't emaciated, but he certainly needed to put on a few pounds when I got him!  I'm thinking that Bailey has found himself a good home:-))

I don't think Cattle Dog - not the same spotting pattern.  And, I suspect he's not just two breeds combined, but more.  Maybe Spaniel, Pyr, BC, Akita in the mix.  A perfect Bailey;-)