Looking for first dog.... (since I've grown up.)

• Silver

Looking for first dog.... (since I've grown up.)

Newly divorced, mother of one son, 9..... moved into a small home with a nice sized fenced yard. My ex-husband would not let us have a dog, even though we talked about it for years. So, now that we're on our own, we're getting a dog!

I'd like something about medium sized, nothing too big, nothing too small. WeI like to run, hike, bike, walk.... I love taking my son to the park. But sometimes we like to just sit back and watch a good movie and relax and hang out around the house. I'm interested in adopting, but I'd like a dog no more than two years old. Also would like a dog that's good with other people and kids, since we often have people over... but that would give us a good warning if someone comes up in the middle of the night.

I had a dog growing up, a beagle. He was a great dog, thought of going that route but then decided maybe a little larger would be nice. Oh, and my son has a cat, so it needs to be cat friendly. I've been searching on Petfinder but there are so many choices, I just don't know where to start.

Can you guys help narrow it down a little? Which breed(s) do you think would be best for us?

Meg and Scottie

• Gold Top Dog

If you don't mind shedding, a Norwegian Elkhound sounds like it might fit. 

http://www.akc.org/breeds/norwegian_elkhound/

And, although some people might consider them large, you can't beat a good Labrador Retriever.  Wink  My Caleb is right in the middle, height wise, for a male (23 1/2 inches).

• Gold Top Dog

Portuguese Water Dog would be a good fit.

• Gold Top Dog

I think a labrador or a lab/mix sounds like a good fit.  Lab's aren't intended to be the ginormous dogs some are breeding today. They're intelligent, athletic, great family dogs and there are thousands of "lab/mixes" out there looking for a good home.

Or, if you're okay with the grooming aspect, maybe a miniature or standard poodle? They're great family dogs, super smart and athletic as well.

Or you could contact your vet or local rescue and tell them what you're looking for and then let them go on the hunt for you!

All of my dogs are rescues, gotten as adults, except one. My lab is by far my favorite (just don't tell Sadie or Fonzie, okay?). Greta is a super great dog, smart, loyal and devoted, she's athletic, she can walk or she can pick up the pace enough to keep with the horses on trails. She loves the kids and just about everyone else who comes in the house, but she will bark at strangers standing at the door or walking down the driveway and there is one man in the neighborhood that shes's met and still doesn't like... so I figured there's just something about him and you know, dog's can sense things about people.

Good luck with your search! Let us know what you decide on!!

• Gold Top Dog

I'm a bit biased here, but I think a well-bred Lab, English style (not field), would fit the bill!

Good luck on your search!

• Gold Top Dog

Since you had a Beagle and the deciding factor against another Beagle was size, I'd suggest a hound. IMO hounds have an advantage for what you are looking for in that they are playful but not hyper and they are not prone to aggression or reactivity or being overly "guardy" (guardy behavior can be a problem with visiting children). While all dogs need training, the hounds are not as socialization sensitive as some breeds are.

I think a coonhound could work well for you. There are lots of types!A few of the more common:

Treeing Walker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treeing_Walker_Coonhound

Black and tan

http://www.abtcc.com/

Rebone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redbone_Coonhound

Foxhounds are usually pretty nice dogs, sort of resemble Beagles. There are two types...

English:

http://www.digitaldog.com/dog_breed/English+Foxhound

American:

http://www.americanfoxhoundclub.com/

Coonhounds are generally fairly easy to find in shelters or rescue, although with kids be cautious about adopting an adult dog with an unknown history (of any breed). Also adopting an adult dog who is good with cats can be tricky. Also shelters also often mislabel dog's breeds, so be sure the dog is what you are looking for. I think in your case, your best bet would be to look into breed rescues and get a dog from a foster home situation, who has been exposed to cats and kids. And introduce the dog and cat very, very slowly.

FWIW I don't have hounds, I just think they can make excellent family dogs. I would avoid sighthounds (greyhounds, whippets, etc) however, as they have very different temperaments from the scenthounds and don't always do well with children.

• Gold Top Dog

Many shelters have a dog that can fit your needs. 

This is Brinxx.  She's a rescue & she's the exact type of dog that you are looking for...athletic, & always ready to go, but with an off switch that makes her very easy to live with around the house.

• Gold Top Dog

micksmom
    And, although some people might consider them large, you can't beat a good Labrador Retriever. 

Ditto! 

• Gold Top Dog

I would say, peruse the shelters around you first, there are many many nice dogs who have the same qualities you list there.Often the assistants there know the dogs well- if you tell them what you are looking for they can help narrow down your choices.

Next I would suggest a Portuguese Water Dog as well.  We have a 10mo old girl and she is just the best girl ever!  She is very smart, loves people (once she has been introduced) will alert bark, loves loves loves kids, walking, hiking, running, biking, playing chuck it (ball) does agility, obedience, swim/water, snuggles with us, watches the children closely, just the best all-around sweet and loving girl you could want.

The PWD we have has an "Improper" coat, meaning it's like that of a border collie rather than the proper wavy or curly non-shedding long growing coat of a proper PWD. See some pics of her in the Pictures forum under "Echo".

She sheds a whole bunch all at once every 8 months for a couple of weeks and then her hair regrows and looks wonderful and sheds very little.  I cannot say how much every one of the humans adores Echo.  DH can be fussy about dogs' attitudes but he loves loves her- I caught him baby talking to her last night LOL.  Both the kids play with her, sleep next to her, rough her up and she takes it all in stride. 

Best. Dog. Ever.  :)

• Gold Top Dog

shamrockmommy

Next I would suggest a Portuguese Water Dog as well.  We have a 10mo old girl and she is just the best girl ever!  She is very smart, loves people (once she has been introduced) will alert bark, loves loves loves kids, walking, hiking, running, biking, playing chuck it (ball) does agility, obedience, swim/water, snuggles with us, watches the children closely, just the best all-around sweet and loving girl you could want.

I find it interesting two posters suggested PWDs. While you can sometimes find older puppies/adults that breeders are rehoming, this breed almost never ends up in shelters/rescues. Puppies are pricey, usually $1500 and up. They also require professional grooming, unless you find an improper like Echo (these are not real common though). This is an added expense every 6-8 weeks, depending on how you keep them clipped and how much brushing you're willing to do. They can be very cool, very fun dogs for the right people - very active, very attached to their owners, very exuberant and pretty easy to train, although they won't tolerate too rough of training. However, it is not uncommon to find ones who are sight/sound sensitive or who have fear issues. And as a breed, they absolutely require a lot of early socialization and early training. And for sure, some people find them too active, too exuberant, too energetic. And they can be very needy (read: they want to be next to you, on top of you, follow you everywhere and generally dislike being left alone). They can also be destructive especially as puppies or when they aren't given proper mental and physical exercise. Best to interact with as many as possible before deciding if they are right for you.

The breed is also prone to some pretty serious genetic health problems, many which can be tested or screened for and some which can not be. For sure, you gave to really do your homework before buying a one. Meet the parents and any other relatives, talk to the breeder and owners with relatives about their temperaments: How are they with strangers? strange places? loud noise? sudden movement? And health: What health testing do the parents, grandparents, great grandparents have? Have the puppies been screened for any health issues? Are the parents still alive? If not, how old did they live to be and what was the cause of death? Are grandparents/great grandparents alive? If not, how old did they live to be and what the cause of death? Of course, all breeds (and mixes) can be prone to health issues of some sort and it is always a good idea to research breeds/breeders before buying a puppy.

You can find out more about the breed on their parent club site: http://www.pwdca.org/

And this article gives a pretty right on outline of the breed: http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/portuguesewaterdogs.html

• Gold Top Dog

I think you'll likely be able to find just what you're looking for through a rescue organization or shelter, but as far as purebreds go, I think a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever might work for you. THe only trouble is that they're not overly popular (but far from rare), and so finding one available for adoption would be pretty difficult. Often times breeders have grown out puppies or retired adult dogs, though. Anywhere between 6 months and 5 years old usually.

Tollers are a fun, happy-go-lucky, family orientated breed. They're active and very versatile dogs up for pretty much anything you ask of them -- be it just a walk, a hike, jogging, playing fetch etc. and are also very good at most dog sports/venues out there (Obedience, Agility, Flyball, etc.). At the same time, they're also very good house dogs, and I find them very easy to live with. Dance is quite content to sleep most of her day away, and never pesters me for exercise, but is up and ready to go at a moment's notice.

Tollers are a medium sized breed, ranging in height between 17-21" tall and weighing between 35-50lbs on average. Females are obviously on the smaller side, males on the large side of the scale. They have a medium-long double coat, coming in only shades of red/orange with or without white markings on the face, paws, tail tip and chest. They either have flesh pigment (pinkish nose, blending with the coat) or black. They do shed a reasonable amount, but not heavy. Males generally have more coat than females and shed more, but not always. As with most double coated dogs, Tollers will blow their coat once or twice a year, during which time the hair around your home will be more noticeable. But the rest of the year I don't find the shedding to be that much.

A well socialized, well trained Toller should be good with all people, although they're not an "I just met you and you're my best friend" type of friendly like a Lab or a Golden is. They're happy enough to meet new people, but save their true enthusiasm and devotion for close family and friends. They're very good watchdogs and will alert you to things appropriately, but the ones I've been around and know are not barky. Although they can be vocal, making all sorts of woos and roos to those they live with, in a happy affectionate manner. Some also scream when they're over stimulated/excited, but not all, and it's not something that occurs constantly. In fact, eventhough this trait is often mentioned about the breed, I know many other dogs of different breeds who also make screamy sort of noises when they're overly excited as well.

Tollers are eager, intelligent and relatively easy to train dogs. They're more than capable of learning all sorts of commands and tricks, and really enjoy it too.

Anyway, I hope that was a little helpful, and I also hope that you and your son are able to find the right dog for you! :-)

• Gold Top Dog
    I love your original post. To me, that's the perfect email to send to an all breed rescue group near you. A good rescue group will take your requirements and find you the perfect dog since their dogs live in foster homes for a while before they are adopted out. I often see emails come through my group that's says something like "older couple with young child looking for medium sized dog 2 yrs or younger that is athletic but calm in the house. Must be good with strangers and cats as they often have visitors" then foster homes chime in with "so and so dog fits the bill"
    • Gold Top Dog

Orangedog - at a point I researched Tollers for a family member and wondered if this is pretty accurate:

http://www.calibertollers.com/toller/topten.htm

I was surprised because so much of it could be said about Belgians too...right down to the scream!

• Gold Top Dog

Too bad you nixed the beagle cause of size. I was going to suggest a Corgi. Love everything,exercise, playing or just being a couch potato. Did I mention? Their freakin' adorable!

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

You noticed that most of the recommendations were for dogs people were familiar with.  Following that trend, I would recommend an English Springer Spaniel or a lab.  ESS are velcro dogs, and bond to the family.  They can be defensive, and are good with kids-once they grow out of puppy.  The English version of the lab is smaller than the American, as American breeders seem to like a dog that can retrieve a car. A young dog from a rescue would probably come with spay/neuter and shots and a behavior analysis, especially if it had been fostered for a while.  Some of the rescues are actually doing basic obedience training and house training, both big pluses.  The advice to cruise some rescues is good.  Don't get too set on a breed.  Look for a dog that likes you and that you and kids like and can handle.  The dogs have personalities.  Some you will like, some not.  One or two will just reach out and grab you.

Good luck.