Need help picking between these 2 breeds.

• Gold Top Dog

Need help picking between these 2 breeds.

My Fiance is looking into getting his own dog in the next 6 months to a year. He has narrowed it down to Dogue De Bordeaux and the Cane Corso. He has been to 3 dogs shows and has meet the Bordeaux. Instantly was in love with the breed. While at the vet with Holly(for a checkup) there was a lady there with 2 Cane Corso pups. They were adorable! And my Fiance thought so too. The pups were actually for sale but she was a "BYB" so we said we just got Holly and wanted to bond with her first before adding another dog. Not a total lie but we want to go through a reputable breeder.

We wont be going to any dog shows any time soon so can't really meet any breeders. Anyone recommend any breeders? Like I said we don't want to add just yet. Not for at least 6 months. Preferably a year. Thanks! I'm really enjoying being part of this board.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

What is your experience with molosser/mastiff breeds?  What's your dog experience in general - I know you just got a rescued Weim (this week?) and prior to that was a Weim puppy for 3 weeks this spring (RIP to Luger and my condolences for your loss).  What about dogs you've owned before this year?  Home life?  Own or rent? People living in the home - kids, visitors, activity level of each individual?  What do you hope to have out of your future dog - obedience competitor, property guard, nanny dog for current/future children?  What sort of training do you hope to put into your future dog - what are the resources in your area?  Both breeds are not without expensive health concerns, not to be nosy, but are you prepared for entropian surgery, hip dysplasia, arthritis treatments?

No sense in recommending breeders without knowing what you want out of your future dog, what you're prepared to put into it, and how far you're willing to travel to meet the compromise between the two.

• Gold Top Dog

Dito everything Page just said.  I also want to ask if you have you considered going through a breed specific rescue group?  Maybe even foster from a rescue group so you can get to know the breeds.  That may be a good way to get started then as you know for sure what you want you can seek out a breeder if your considering a puppy or even adopt from the rescue.

It's really good your starting your search now because to even get on a waiting list for a puppy may take up to several years with the right breeder.  When searcing for my dream breed I bought all the books, went to all the shows I could travel to and emailed several breeders. Many of the breeders responded to me but I quickly weeded them out and thoes who were willing to answer my questions I stayed in contact with.  I was on a waiting list for 3 years before any puppies were born but I just wasn't at that stage in my life to take in another dog. I still don't have my dream dog but someday...

• Gold Top Dog

Wow, those are two extremely powerful breeds to be choosing from.  Like most people, with any other breed, I'd recommend lots and lots and lots and lots of research and lots and lots and lots and lots of exposure to both breeds before making a decision. Speak with REPUTABLE breeders and people with lots of first hand knowledge of the breeds. And then go from there... if you're still interested once you know ALL the pros and cons and what they require and what it takes to own one.....

• Gold Top Dog

Neither breed is a good fit for a novice dog owner. I would really consider this...and it's probably something you'll get called on by good breeder's as well.

I believe your puppy passed on from distemper? I would get together with my vet and discuss the likelihood of this virus remaining in your home and on your property before bringing ANY young puppy or unvaccinated dog, home. Parvo for example can live for YEARS in soil and reinfect pups or immune compromised animals.

I would suggest you enjoy your girl and understand that if things go easily with her, it may well be very very different with a strong willed and dominant breed. I hope you are prepared for that...Cane Corso in particular are not dogs for the faint of heart. If you have frequent visitors to your home, an open door lifestyle or want to take your dog with you everywhere you go I can only think of a few breeds LESS suitable for that than the CC. They need heavy duty socialization simply to accept that people other than their families are part of life and should be accepted at times.

And Akita friend of mine had a Dogue as well and rehomed him because he was too much for her. And she has AKITAS. lol.

• Gold Top Dog
    My fiance isn't a novice dog owner. I am! His family has had Rottweilers, German Shepherds, Pit Bulls(rescued ones), and American Bulldogs.

We own our home. 5 acres all fenced in in the country. Both of us have great full time jobs. I have been at mine for 7 years and he has been at his 13 years. I can not have children so none of those in our future. We can handle any health problems that may come up financially and emotionally. My Dalmatian was not a very healthy girl. I got her from a byb before knowing better and we had our share of health problems and I have learned from it.

You know those kind of dogs that go with the flow. We're those kind of people.Big Smile You want to party? Ok we are up for that. Want to be lazy and sleep in all day watching movies and eat popcorn? We like to do that too. 

We don't have that much company because of our work schedules. Now we do hang out with people but not at our home. And the company we do have is the usual people on a weekend basis. My fiance would do basic obedience classes but not compete. Just make sure he gets a proper education for the dog. He believes all dogs should get some schooling if possible plus it helps with socialization.

As I said before he is going to be going to dog shows and meeting with breeders before deciding. And it wont be more than likely a year before really making a plan on bringing either one of those breeds into our family.

Thanks guys for the advice. We will definitely be using all the advice on helping pick his dog.

• Gold Top Dog

What you might want to do is find a breeder who does a temperment test (like the Volhard's version) regardless of the breed selected. Spend time letting those folks get to know you.  Ask to come and visit.  Call about the dogs.  Make plans to meet at shows.  Allowing the breeder to get to know you will enable them to make the best possible match. 

In most cases, you see puppies for a bit.  The breeder has seen them all along.  They know the puppies far better than you.  A temperment test adds to that knowledge.   A skilled, experienced breeder does a much better job of placing puppies when they know you too.  One of the best fits I have ever had is with Dess the 12 yr. terv.  I knew the breeder for four years before he was born (as did the others who got a dog from the litter).  She was able to match each of us with the dog that best met our personal desires as well as the dog's basic appearance and temperment.

The breeder may be the best choice to make rather than the "breed".

• Gold Top Dog

rwbeagles

I believe your puppy passed on from distemper? I would get together with my vet and discuss the likelihood of this virus remaining in your home and on your property before bringing ANY young puppy or unvaccinated dog, home. Parvo for example can live for YEARS in soil and reinfect pups or immune compromised animals.

Distemper is not nearly as hardy as Parvo:

"We owned a dog that died and was suspected of having distemper. How should we disinfect our home before a new dog is introduced?

One of the few positive aspects of distemper is that the virus cannot live without fresh secretions; it is inactivated in minutes outside the living host’s body. Minimal disinfection is necessary." http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_canine_distemper.html

rwbeagles
    I would suggest you enjoy your girl and understand that if things go easily with her, it may well be very very different with a strong willed and dominant breed. I hope you are prepared for that...Cane Corso in particular are not dogs for the faint of heart. If you have frequent visitors to your home, an open door lifestyle or want to take your dog with you everywhere you go I can only think of a few breeds LESS suitable for that than the CC. They need heavy duty socialization simply to accept that people other than their families are part of life and should be accepted at times.

And Akita friend of mine had a Dogue as well and rehomed him because he was too much for her. And she has AKITAS. lol.

ITA These breeds are large, very strong and not considered the easiest to work with. I would not suggest either for a home which doesn't have experience with mastiff or at least, very guardy breeds. They are also very prone to dog aggression both towards dogs they live with and dogs they don't and especially towards same sex dogs. I'd suggest looking into Bull Mastiffs, as I think they are a bit easier to handle than the more uncommon mastiff breeds. IME with all the mastiff breeds though, you have to be extremely careful with temperament. I actually see far more fear aggressive mastiff breeds than anything else.

• Gold Top Dog

I would not suggest the Cane Corso.  I don't like to mix breeds that have tendencies toward dog aggression into homes where even one of the handlers is a novice, and the resident dog is not capable of coping with a heavy rambunctious puppy that may be a bully as a young one.  The "What's Good About Em, What's Bad About Em" articles are a good way to get the pro's and con's (most breeders like their breed, and may be in denial about the "bad";).  Here's the one on the Cane Corso: http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/canecorsos.html.  Here's the one for Dogues de Bordeaux: http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/doguedebordeaux.html

• Gold Top Dog

Cane Corsos have same-sex aggression, but it's not in every single dog. Cane Corsos make great first time dogs for the novice large-breed owner. I'd look into show breeders as they have lots of Corsos that don't have any issues. If you already have a dog, go for a Corso of the opposite sex. Use common sense too; don't feed dogs beside each other, don't let them play unsupervised or be alone together, etc.

Unlike everyone on here, you have to start somewhere. If you want to own a large dog, then well, you have to own one to gain exeperience. Corsos are willing to please, eager to learn and intelligent. They are docile towards children and big nuts with family memebers! They are more bark than bite, as well. They remain aloof towards strangers and will react only if pushed, so they aren't unstable. They are also more active than the DdB, as they are the only true coursing mastiff. They can do any sport from Flyball, to Agility, to Schutzhund to Herding. They are like a nice mix of a Rottweiler and a GSD. Perfect balance.

I know nothing of DdBs, so I'm no help there. I've been studying the Corso breed for 6 years and working in or around them for a while too. I know of some wonderful breeders too, but just send me a message and I'll give you a long list of the ones that I like (I'm really picky about Corsos).

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

sambob, where do you live?  Aren't you in California?  Choosing your breeder for the type of dog you want is going to be critical.  Not just looking at puppies and information online.  In the case of the breeds your interested in, you need a clear and thorough understanding of the temperaments involved in the breeders you're looking at.

• Gold Top Dog

Rene.E2008
    Cane Corsos make great first time dogs for the novice large-breed owne

I'd disagree...but that happens on a forum from time to time. 

OP I would suggest stopping by the Breed Clubs page and read the info there...THIS ESPECIALLY was good stuff. It does not sound like the folks who wrote this are living in a fantasy land when it comes to their dogs, which is refreshing. And the multiple mentions of dominance and the WHOLE FAMILY even children being able to handle the dog are IMO very valid points.

• Gold Top Dog

I don't see how anyone would be living in a "fantasy" world. Have you personally worked a Corso? They are a very forgiving breed. So long as the OP has determination to work with this dog, the energy level to properly exercise the dog then a Corso is a perfect match. They are an willing to please and intelligent breed and thrive best with postive reinforcement.

Here are Cons then, since I'm living in a fantasy world:

1. Can be same sex aggressive.
    2. Weary of strangers
    3. Large
    4. Entergetic
    5. Sheds
    6. Drools
    7. Needs human interaction constantly, not a good outdoor dog
    8. Can be stubborn at times (hence why I said they are a mix of a Rott and GSD and stubborn =/= dominant fyi)
    9. Can have major health problems and temperament problems if not bought from a reputable breeder

She has to start somewhere. If she is active and wants a active Mastiff breed, I still stand by a Corso being a good dog for the first time large-breed owner. Her boyfriend/husband has experience with large breeds, and with his guidance a Corso is going to be a fantastic fit. If they don't want an entergetic mastiff breed, then a DdB would be a better fit.

I'm the type of person that believes you have to start somewhere. -shrugs- Going to a reputable breeder will give them a breeder's lifetime support. 

OP, your best bet is to NOT read everything on the internet and believe it. I thought Corsos were a certain way since that's how the internet painted them out to be, but once I actually worked with them and interacted with breeders, they aren't that "crazy" or "Aggressive" or "dominant". Of course, with EVERY dog in EVERY breed, you're going to have that dominant little jerkoff that'll make your life a living Hell, but that's why when working with breeders, you let them chose the dog for you. They know the dog's personality and can fit you with one that isn't the most headstrong of the bunch, and can fit you with one that is the most forgiving of the group and with the easiest personality.

Contact a rescue group and foster a few Corsos for a while so you can see a range of all different personality types. Meet with a few breeders. Sitting on the internet and reading is not going to answer any questions. Go to a few shows or sporting events. See the breed in action. What I'm saying and what people above me are linking to mean nothing, honestly. A breeder who has been invloved in the breed for years upon years (or decades upon decades) will be able to assist you, not a forum with people owning every other dog but a Corso.

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks RWbeagles for that site. I bookmarked it.

Miranda I live in Lexington Kentucky.

Rene my fiance has been attending the local dog shows around here for a couple years now. He's just been "browsing" and is at the point where he wants to get to know breeders and the breeds better. Fostering is great idea! But we just recently adopted a 4 year old Weimaraner we're still getting to know and help her come out of her shell the reason for the 6m-1 year wait on seriously thinking about getting another dog. But you know what? When the time is right fostering seems like a great idea before getting a permanent member of the family. We would like a puppy though and from a reputable breeder since both breeds are classified as "guard dogs,protection dogs,etc" and have some serious health problems to consider.

• Gold Top Dog

rwbeagles

Rene.E2008
    Cane Corsos make great first time dogs for the novice large-breed owne

I'd disagree...but that happens on a forum from time to time. 

There are a lot of large, mastiff breeds which have been bred solely for pets and show dogs for a lot longer than Cane Corsos (or Filas or Presas or other rare mastiffs) have been. It would seem that these breeds might be a better "beginner mastiff breed" than the dogs who are still closer to there more traditional type/temperament. That isn't to say that no first time mastiff owner can do well with a Cane Corso but without a doubt do your research first. I find one of the best ways to learn about temperament of a breed is to join an active email list or forum for the breed which has owners of all sorts posting (pet owners, breeders, trainers, etc). After some time reading such a list or forum, you will tend to get a well rounded view of the breed - what people seem to enjoy about them and common problems people have with them.

Rene.E2008

Cane Corsos have same-sex aggression, but it's not in every single dog.

The problem with a tendency towards same sex aggression, when it involves housemate dogs is that there is no way to predict which individuals will display it until they are mature and living in a household with other mature same sex dogs. So a tendency in the breed towards same sex aggression needs to be carefully considered before getting the breed, if you plan to own multiple dogs. Do you want more than two dogs? If so, are you willing to do "Rotatodog" (aka Crate and Rotate) if need be? If you're not, it's probably best to avoid breeds with a tendency towards same sex aggression.