Standard Poodle.

• Gold Top Dog

shamrockmommy

Highly recommend a PWD. 

PWDs can be a great breed but they are not without their health and temperament issues. The breed has a long list of health concerns. Luckily many can be tested for but some, such as early cancer can not be and some, such as like hip dysplasia are very hard to control. Temperament varies greatly between individuals and it is extremely important to find a breeder who is selecting for sound, trainable dogs as softness, shyness and sound sensitive are becoming more and more common in the breed. PWDs and Standard Poodles are really in a sort of similar place, as far as there being little to no real outcrosses available.

I have only met a handful of Lagottos but it seems like many are standoffish and aloof with strangers (and some are quite shy/fearful) - quite different from the average Poodle.

This is an interesting interview with a Standard breeder who is attempting to establish a line of Standards with low COIs:

http://www.tiarapoodles.com/interview.htm

And a bit about her breeding program:

http://www.tiarapoodles.com/about.htm

• Gold Top Dog

I have a toy poodle now, I love the breed. But I also like bigger dogs... so that's why I'm leaning towards a standard. I love the size.

I know poodles excell in agility and obedience but how are they with tracking? Originally bred to be retrievers, I'd think they'd do well with it?

• Gold Top Dog

AgileGSD

shamrockmommy

Highly recommend a PWD. 

PWDs can be a great breed but they are not without their health and temperament issues. The breed has a long list of health concerns. Luckily many can be tested for but some, such as early cancer can not be and some, such as like hip dysplasia are very hard to control. Temperament varies greatly between individuals and it is extremely important to find a breeder who is selecting for sound, trainable dogs as softness, shyness and sound sensitive are becoming more and more common in the breed. PWDs and Standard Poodles are really in a sort of similar place, as far as there being little to no real outcrosses available.

I have only met a handful of Lagottos but it seems like many are standoffish and aloof with strangers (and some are quite shy/fearful) - quite different from the average Poodle.

This is an interesting interview with a Standard breeder who is attempting to establish a line of Standards with low COIs:

http://www.tiarapoodles.com/interview.htm

And a bit about her breeding program:

http://www.tiarapoodles.com/about.htm

I can't get the links to work? Maybe it's just my work computer...

• Gold Top Dog

They can be fabulous trackers! I do know ONE SPoo who has absolutely no interest in tracking (she thinks fetching the glove is great, but if she can't see it, forget it!), but all the others I know enjoy it. Most dogs that I know enjoy it, in fact. It's FUN for them! You should see Bean light up when she sees the flags.

• Gold Top Dog

I love Standards, and we'll have one one daySmile  We're actually fans of poodles of all sizes here. Smile Apparently we're poodle and chow peopleStick out tongue
    • Gold Top Dog

HI Well Luci (Tch Nascere Bella Nera CDX ) is a tracking champion . She is very good. Sam (Ch Jeunuin Constantine TD) is well on the way.If anything he has the potential to be better.

There are some good points and bad points. Over the last year i have  helped train  6 poodles to tracking titles. The minis are NOT a good dog for novice handlers on several counts. They are very literal, they move very quickly, the expect you to know what you are doing and they take some work to motivate. They also need quiet, calm gentle and quite passive handling. When trained they are very quick and confident and tough and are a joy to work with. They have a highly sensitive sense of smell but infortunately saturate quite quickly.Older poodles do sort this out but you need to be aware o f this in early tainng. You do not start them with really hot (fresh ) tracks.

The standards are much easier to track for novices, and if you get the motivation right are wickedly quick and confident. You just need to be fit. We had a seven month old standard do his t1 here ( a little less than your TD) . He made just one very slight mistake. Our tracks are graded.

I am a fan of Steve White's methods. I do alter his technique a little for poodles, but you won't do any harm using his methods and will do a lot of good. The guy is pretty approachable.

Tracking a toy is right up there in my bucket list.

Operant is the way to go for poodles (well any dog)

Here is my firmly held opinion "" there is no poodle that i have met that i haven't been able to get to track... ""

You have to get the method right.

• Gold Top Dog

I understand this an older post, but if you are still browsing for Spoo breeders check out this website:

Poodlesonline.com

A website of reputable breeders, and you can narrow your search down to size, color and/or state.