Little shedding, Protection, Bird dog

• Bronze

I think I'm leaning towards a German Shorthaired Pointer.  I've always thought they are beautiful dogs and from what I've read they seem to be a good fit for what I'm looking for.   Anyone with knowledge on how they may stack up to my criteria, I'd appreciate some feedback.

• Gold Top Dog

Obviously as a public forum we see all kinds of folks come through, most with good intentions and then a few who goes against the mainstream, nothing wrong with that, but we really love our dogs on this forum ;)  I apologize if we got over analytical, the written form can be difficult to read (you miss a lot that you get through a person-to-person conversation) at times.  And things can be easy to misunderstand.

Sounds like either the GSP or Weim would be good for you. I had my boy out doing duck work in January/February they sell neoprene vests for them to help out the shorthairs (to stay warm). Of course Weims also come in a long hair variety, they are not currently accepted in the WCA/AKC Standard, but that will probably be revised at some point, they are accepted in every other country.  So you can import from Canada.   They also have a wire haired GSP, so that maybe an option.  I'm of course very partial to Weimaraners, but, I better be!! :o)  I think either way you can't go wrong.

*NOTE* IMO I do think the Weim is sharper, more like a doberman.... and to that end, you need to do a lot of socialization as a puppy.  Weims are very aloof with strangers (by the time they hit about 2 yrs old, up to that point, they should be friendly) most GSP's I meet are very friendly... granted a lot of that is up to the individual personality, but that's how it is as a general rule.  Read the Weimaraner standard.  Read the GSP standard.

Good luck, let us know what you decide! :)

• Bronze

Thanks for the input.  I've narrowed it down to Weim, GSP, and Korthals Griffon.  Like I said, right now I'm leaning toward the GSP but, I've still got some studying ahead of me.  After more research and talking with some reputable breeders, I hope to make a decision and have my new hunting buddy within the next month.

• Gold Top Dog

My idea of low shedding is clearly different than other peoples', LOL. I think Chessies shed a TON, and Weims and GSPs shed significantly enough that I'd call them moderate shedders. Then again, I live with a hairless. Good luck with your search! I hope you'll post pics of your new working buddy.

• Gold Top Dog

jennie_c_d

My idea of low shedding is clearly different than other peoples', LOL. I think Chessies shed a TON, and Weims and GSPs shed significantly enough that I'd call them moderate shedders. Then again, I live with a hairless. Good luck with your search! I hope you'll post pics of your new working buddy.

LOL, I agree.  To me, double coat = big time shedding.  And I have two GSDs and a crazy-coated mix, so I'm OK with shedding but generally I think of a "low shedding" dog as a poodle, Bichon, Tzu, certain terriers, Coton.... dogs that require trimming or stripping as oppose to straight up double coated breeds.

• Gold Top Dog

Well... goodness Jennie, next to a Crested any dog sheds a lot Stick out tongue  LOL

I don't think Weims shed much!  That's one of the reason I was drawn to the breed.... I prefer a wash n' wear, no dog-hair-tumbleweeds kind of a dog :o)  But, we do have some dogs in the breed with an undercoat (sparse as it maybe) would obviously shed more.  But, compared to other shorthair breeds (like a Dalmatian, JRT, etc) they, mine anyway, seem to shed very little. Compared to a GSD I bet you wouldn't even notice the hair Big Smile

I have little experience with GSP's though, for all I know they could throw hair at you, but I doubt it.  Then again, you wouldn't think a Dal would either and man can those guys shed!!
    • Gold Top Dog

One more thought is the Drahthaar or working bred German Wirehaired Pointer. These dogs are bred to a very strict standard where the parents must have proven working ability for the puppies to be registered, along with health clearances and conformation evaluation. I don't think these guys are heavy shedders but that would be something to research.

http://www.vdd-gna.org/