Throw me some breed recommendations

• Gold Top Dog

Throw me some breed recommendations

I've been thinking about what I want in my next dog lately...I love the herders, but I think I'd like a change. I'm looking for a medium to small breed, 40 lb max, but smaller would be better, that's less intense and less maintenance than what I have now. I want a dog I can take places with me, specifically to DD's soccer games and practices and DH's theater performances and rehersals (dogs are allowed) without reactivity, barking, or the dog getting bored. DH currently works from home and I work nights, we have two kids ages 8 and 11, two cats, and four herding breed dogs...don't want anything that needs to be clipped, but brushing and shedding are ok. Considering Pugs and Whippets.

• Gold Top Dog

Finnish Lapphund! Cool

All right, they are herders as well. But pretty spitzy. Kivi is an excellent companion dog. Just ambles along with you, makes himself comfortable on the ground and snoozes when not much is going on, doesn't give us any trouble.

• Gold Top Dog

I'd go for a Whippet or a Greyhound.... you do need to be careful with sighthounds (especially ex-racers)  and cats, but it can be done.   Smile

Greyhounds are awesome - I would love one one day.   Very different to what you have, great laid back, generally "go anywhere" dogs, very low maintenance grooming wise.... just a once over with a hound mitt once a week or so is fine.  They do shed, but not horribly if you keep up with brushing occasionally.

• Gold Top Dog

If I were ready to work my tail off and for a dog that was a far from a herding breed as possible,,,, Irish Terrier.  Big dog in smaller dog package.  Less "terrier" than some of the group.  More weather proof than the sighthounds, less worry about heat than the pug.

• Gold Top Dog

I was thinking Whippet before I even finished reading your post. They are not very likely to beleash reactive and good dogs for just hanging out. Although they do need to be able to run to be happy. Getting one as a puppy with your cats should be ok as long as your cats aren't allowed outdoors with the dogs - most sighthounds I have known can be good with cats indoors but outdoors is another story.

Greys are bigger than what you are looking for overall - 40lbs is a pretty small Grey. They are quite tall for their weight too and tend to take up a lot of room. I don't generally suggest them for homes with kids under 12, especially the retired racers. Although that is an unpopular opinion, Greys are prone to "startle aggression" which means they react without thinking to being stepped on or bumped while they are resting. Most say this is due to how they are kept at the tracks (alwasy sleep in crates) but I have seen show bred Greys who also exhibit it. I am not saying this is always the case with them but IMO the tendency needs to be considered.

• Gold Top Dog

You totally need a Beagle.

Deb W.

• Gold Top Dog

I had typed out a bunch then it died.  :(

Anyways, I think you might really enjoy a papillon.  They're very smart and intuitive like shelties only they seem MUCH less prone to being overly reactive and fearful.  My crew goes everywhere with me and they love it.  Basically wherever you are, they want to be and they don't care what you're doing.  Mine have sat through 2 hour meetings just fine and they love to go out walking or hiking too, but they're fine being couch potatoes if you want.  They're also much snugglier than my shelties were and just in general much more outgoing with people.  Mine basically live for going places and meeting people.  Easy grooming, lower maintenance in most ways than the shelties, etc.  Great great dogs, I can't say enough good things about them.  They are higher energy than most the reccomendations here, but they're very adaptable dogs.

Other thoughts- whippet could be nice, I love the longhaired whippets in particular.  Any of the toy spaniels could work- Cavaliers would probably be my first thought but they are really prone to health problems. 

• Gold Top Dog

Both your choices are great...watch the Whippet on prey drive tho! esp with you having cats.

I would consider a Beagle of course. Smile

also perhaps a  Tibetan Spaniel...wonderful little breed!

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks for the recs....I'll have to look more into Beagles, I have always been afraid of the hound temperament, but they do seem like a good fit.

Papillons have always been on my list, I was a little concerned that they would get bored at two hour events like my current ones do...I rotate bringing them to soccer games and practices and they are always excited to go, but pace relentlessly once we get there and I usually end up having to walk them around.

My concern with Whippets is prey drive...my cats are indoor and I think I could manage that, but the website I looked at mentioned jumping and climbing out of fences...I have a four foot picket that could be a problem.

Italian greyhounds...I looked at those...am I correct in assuming they may be too fragile for a house with kids and rowdy dogs?

• Gold Top Dog

2shelties

Italian greyhounds...I looked at those...am I correct in assuming they may be too fragile for a house with kids and rowdy dogs?

their legs are TINY...I couldn't do it here personally. The trembling would get to me to...but that's just me.

Cleo sits thru a TBall game like a champ. In fact many of the Giant breeds are very calm indoors and very tolerant of noises and chaos...stoic and sedate. But...they ARE big :)

Don't forget to check out Tibbies...one of the more sedate and still fun "little dogs" they have a slightly recessed muzzle so if you like the look of a Pug but perhaps want more fuzziness they could be a great choice.

• Gold Top Dog
    I can't believe I forgot Tibbies! I LOVE tibbies, my absolute favorite little dog after paps. They're great. As far as paps and energy goes it would depend. Rose, Nard, and Mia (yes I did say Mia) are all great and calm in 'boring situations'. Mia still has to wind down a bit but after a few minutes she settles into my lap and just chills. Nard and Rose completely just go with the flow, they're incredibly mellow in that aspect. Summer is so so but sometimes gets too excited at the prospect of meeting someone. Beau is just... a spazz. There's a wide range of energy levels within the breed and from my experience breeders do a good job matching you to your desired energy level. I so happen to prefer the insane ones, though lol!
    • Gold Top Dog

My (top of the standard) IG can leap a 4' fence like it isn't even there. She is 8 years old, and does not even look like it is any effort to her. Her legs are tiny, and she does not tolerate dogs playing rough (slamming, hard wrestling) well at all. They are, indeed, a toy dog, and breakable. Leaping about is fine. Being slammed into, or fallen on, is not. She also does not tolerate cold or heat well, at all, which is fairly normal for a slick coated, toy dog. She is a *perfect* hang out where you are dog, but IDK how she was as a young dog.

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

we have good friends with a Welsh Terrier and he is a great little dog.  Totally social, quiet, easy maintenance, tough muscle-y guy who loves to be anywhere you are - still terrier behaviorally but my favorite small dog I have known.  he's 20lbs and that is the standard

• Gold Top Dog

Yes Beagle Beagle Beagle!

A Cocker would be good to ya know? :)

• Bronze

Hey!  I seldom post but thought I'd give you a suggestion that hasn't been made already.  I have 3 border collies and a Polish Lowland Sheepdog and really wasn't looking for a new dog...with two human kids (7 and 3), we're pretty full up!  However....a good friend (my bc breeder actually) pulls and transports for a few bc rescues while she's on the road and she came across a dog listed as a terrier mix that caught her eye.  Once she met him in person it was  obvious that he's a mini wirehaired dachshund.  She pulled him and emailed me saying she had the perfect dog for my 7 year old daughter...I emailed back saying "no way!  3 bcs and a pon are MORE than enough dog."  Well, long story short, Wally the wirehaired weiner dog has been a member of our family for 2 months now and I can't tell you how much I adore this breed!  He's 9.5 pounds and we take him everywhere.  Not all of the little ritzy shops in our downtown would let me browse with a bc in tow, but Wally walks in like he owns the place and the store owners think he's adorable!  He's happy to hang out with us and can keep up on walks.  He holds his own with the current canine pack and is a  wonderful little lap dog.  He's also very game and fearless...a nice combo!  I've been around dogs forever and have handled several different breeds....from staffie bulls to kerry blues to papillons. Nice dogs but I have now found my ideal breed...most unexpectedly.  I have seen doxies of course, but never even touched one until Wally came to live with us.  Since his arrival I've done lots of research and talked to some breeders, and discovered that his personality is pretty typical...and I know that more of these guys are in my future.  Not to mention we now have earthdog and field trials to play in!

So...this might not be the breed for you...but I think the moral of my story is don't be afraid to think outside of your comfort zone and consider some breeds you may be unfamiliar with!  I never would have considered a wiredhaired dachshund prior to Wally....but he is superb at hanging out with us, going on all of the carpool trips, going shopping, and chasing rats.  Oh yeah...my daughter does youth theatre and Wally makes the theatre runs.  I can't guarantee that he'd behave himself if a rat walked across the stage, but the rest of the time he's quite the gentleman...with the most adorable face ever.