Tell Me About Dobermans please.

• Gold Top Dog

Tell Me About Dobermans please.

Many of you know already, that I intend to get a dobe as my next dog.  That likely won't be for several years yet, but I'm feeling especially inquiry-ish today.  I have an extensive list of things I would tell to anyone thinking of getting a husky, but so far, I haven't found much that might deter me from a Doberman. 

Once the girls are in school full time, at least 5 years away for Kelci, and Crusher at least is no longer with us, hopefully at least few more after that, I want to slightly change my dog ownership style.  That might sound funny, but neither of my dogs are dogs that can really just go everywhere with me.  Onyx might, if it weren't for Crusher.  But really, I have to be on high alert everywhere I take my dogs, incase of other dogs, running kids, birds, cats, cars, blowing leaves, open spaces etc, that I could never really relax with them at any sort of function.  Part of that is obviously training.  I understand that now.  But with 3 kids, and already established bad habits, its tough to find good places to try rehabilitating my dogs.  I do what I can, but party dogs they will never be.  For that matter, I rarely see people bringing huskies along with them to gatherings past the puppy stage anyway, so perhaps it is partly a breed thing.  

Anyway, when I do start over, I want a dog that can come everywhere with me from the beginning.  I've talked to my dad about dogs lots, and he's always loved the idea of a dog at work, so this dog will come to work with me.  He'll need to be socialized with lots of people from the start, but he'll probably be contained in a crate or something during the rush anyway, just to be safe.  I want a dog that will eventually just walk out the door at my side, and go straight to the car, with no leash.  I want a dog that will hang out with me at the beach, or play ball at the park.  I want a dog that will want to be with me, and not just think of me as a means to get where he wants to go.  I want a dog for camping, and hiking.  For fishing and ice fishing too...do people put touques on their dobes?  I do have to admit, the short coat is another bonus for me, after dealing with 2 huskies for so long.  

I would love to do SAR, or something similar, but I'm not sure there are any sort of clubs nearby where I could get into that.  I might talk with the K9 handlers though, they'd likely know. Also, I haven't really decided if I want to show or not.  The more I look into it, the more I think I might, though breeding is still not something I ever plan to do.

Anyway, Doberman people, tell me about your breed.  What do I need to know?  What do I need to be prepared for?  What should I look for in a breeder?   Tell me everything, including whether you think I might or might not be a good match for a Dobe.

Edited: Because when I reread, I realized it sounded like I was hoping Crusher would pass away just  a few years after the girls are in school....that is not the case, honest.

• Gold Top Dog

Dobes also have that DA tendency, particularly males, from what I'm told. Of course, you see people all the time who have Dobes with other dogs and have them out all the time, but like you said, that's trainingBig Smile Bean's Bestest Buddy is a Dobe. Ditto is 13 months, and her mom is dealing with some pretty strong reactive behavior, right now.

They're also not super weather tolerant, with no coat to protect them. I never realized, before I got the hairless dog, how MUCH an undercoat (even a crappy one) does to keep a dog cool. 

Otherwise? They're awesomeBig Smile I may very well end up with one, some day, after Emma is not here, anymore. I love how protective they are, and I love the look. I love the low maintenance, and possibly needing a sweater on a cold day/extra protection in the heat doesn't bother me at all. I cannot care for a baby with cropped ears, though. The posting and taping is more than I'm willing to do. 

• Gold Top Dog

We've got a few that come into the clinic where I work - and they are all SWEET, big time leaners. Casey had a puppy friend at the park for a while too

They do have a lot of health problems though - most of ours are regulars because of issues... DA can be a big one, I think it depends on the breeding.

I really want one one day too - so I'm looking forward to the responses! 

• Gold Top Dog

I am so glad you asked this! I'd like to get a Doberman, probably a female to be T-Bone's best buddy (in 6 months or more) but I've heard they're even more protective than GSDs. I'd like to know the truth about that from dobie owners.

• Gold Top Dog

From your description of the type of dog that you want I think that you'd do great with a dobe.

I know that you know what to expect in terms of training needs, & in terms of energy requirements, so I'm just kind of listing other stuff that might be helpful.

• Plan on socializing early & often.  In my experience, it is much, MUCH better to have an over socialized dobe (if that's possible) than it is to have an undersocialized one. 
    • They are very sensitive to what is happening around you.  If you are stressed or unhappy, then they are stressed & unhappy right there with you.  If you aren't comfortable around someone, then they know it & will be more watchful of that person. 
    • They are whip smart, & they love to use their intelligence to make you look like an ass.  Trust me on this one....Embarrassed
    • Although they are very intelligent, they are not blindly obedient.  Our trainer jokes that the difference between a GSD & a Dobe is that if you aked your GSD to go into a burning building, they would take off without ever looking back.  Just  because that's what you asked of them.  If you asked the Dobe to enter the same burning building, you should expect a five minute conversation with them in order to explain why you want them to do this.  Dobes tend to think on their own quite well.
    • It is common, & accepted for there to be some level of dog aggression.  It's more common for males to be male aggressive, but it does happen with females as well.  Bevo is not DA in the least, but if another male dog gives him stink eye, he will not back down.  Even though I do not think that there would ever be an issue, he & Brutus are kept in separate areas of the house when I am not home.  (Bev & Shoe are weird together.  From the moment that I walked in with Shoe, Bev was sure that he had a puppy of his own.  That's how he acts with Shoe, even now.  I am absolutely, without a doubt certain that there will never be an issue between them, so Shoe stays with Bev.)
    • They are comedians.  For all of their serious looks, they are total goofs around the people who they love most.
    • As pups they are usually friendly with everyone that they meet.  As they grow up, most of them develop a more aloof attitude towards strangers.
    • They are great judges of character.  If Bevo doesn't like someone, then I don't push the issue.  I've come to realize that he's a better judge of character than I am.
    • Many dobes are serious chewers.  Read, lots of them end up having to have surgeries to remove foreign bodies from stomach/intestines.
    • You have to be a bit thick skinned or a real bitch to own a dobe.  Otherwise, you won't be able to deal with the idiots who "know" everything that there is to know about the breed.  You know..the brain/skull issues, the fact that they are all killers issues, & don't forget the idiots who believe that all dobes should be banned....Some of these people are maddening, but others are just stupid & very fun to screw with.
    • There is a split in the dobe community.  Working vs show.  You really need to have a clear view of what you want in a dobe, & then choose which ever style works best for you.  IMO, there isn't a right or wrong dobe, but there is, most likely, one that will fit into your house better than the other.
    • They are quite affectionate, but they do it with style.  They want to be close, & they want your hand or foot touching them, but they don't have to act like fools climbing all over you to get your attention.  Unless you went to the bathroom without them.  Then you can expect to be greeted just as you would if you had been gone from the house all day! Stick out tongue

The breed as a whole has health issues.  Cardiomyopathy, hip dysplasia, thyroid problems, von Willebrand disieas, chronic active hepatitis, & wobblers to name the biggies.  Health testing is a hugely important issue that may or may not guarantee you a healthy puppy.

Bevo is a testament to what happens when this breed is put into the hands of not so great breeders.  FWIW, his breeder does show her dogs, but she does not health test, nor is she concerned about what happens to her non-show quality pups.  He was sold at 6 weeks old,  because he wasn't show quality, to a family who had no business owning a dobe.  He wasn't socialized & by 8 weeks old he was a monster who's owners were ready to euthanize him.  I took him & for the first 8 months that we were together, I was miserable.  I was, literally, one step away from hating him.  He was terrified of everything.  When he didn't get his way, he would lash out.  I still bear the scars on my arms, leg, & face from  his temper tantrums.  It was very frustrating to not have a normal puppy.  He was diagnosed with thyroid issues when he was quite young.  He has wobblers, along with an autoimmune disease.  I am in contact with his breeder only so that I can hear of what other health problems have cropped up in his parents or siblings. 

Bev & I do share a relationship that I don't share with my other dogs.  He is so in tune with me that he knows what I want before I say anything.  I find myself glancing at him, about to give him a command, only to find him already doing what I was going to ask of him.  Of course, he has me trained just as well.  I can identify all eight of his sighs, & I know what each one means. Huh?
    • Gold Top Dog

I really can't tell you anymore than Amanda did, i agree with everything she wrote.

I will tell you i'll never be without a dobe again. Josie and I have such a good bond. I love how dobes are silly, athletic, low maintenance, potentially protective, social, and SWEET! I've never had a dog that was so affectionate before Josie. She can be a little turd at times though...stubborn and naughty.

As far as breeders go, BE CAREFUL! There are a lot of no good dobe breeders. I would look for someone who titles, temperament tests, health tests, and KNOWS their lines. I acutally know of a few good breeders in Ontario. A good breeder will also have ears cropped and healed before sending them home.

They are expensive, but it's worth it if you think about all the health testing, ear cropping, tail docking, etc.

I've extensively socialized Josie and i am confident wherever i take her she will be good. She LOVES children (but will sometimes jump on them), is good with other dogs. She's laid back, confident, and playful. I went to the DPCA nationals last week and it confirmed that dobes are NO DOUBT the breed for me!!!

You should join the forum at dobermantalk.com. There are several members who don't own dobes. I'm glad i found the forum before i got a dobe because i learned SOOOO much. PM if you want to get in contact with the Ontario breeders...

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks for the info everyone.  So from what I'm seeing, the biggest issue is the health problems prevalent in the breed.  Some of them are pretty scary.  DCM's biggest symptom is Sudden Death?!  Yikes!  But I suppose the disease is not exclusive to Doberman's... They're doing some research on it in Guelph, I'm gonna go look that up later on. 

I think I may start looking at potential breeders.  I'm not sure if I'd get one from Ontario, as they're likely all in Southern Ontario, looking in Manitoba first would be a better option.   But I certainly won't limit the search.  I'm starting with the national breed club.  Is that a good place to start?  I've got at the minimum 5 years before I actually want one...or can actually get one anyway.

• Gold Top Dog

Yes, DCM and cancer are probably the number 1 issues with dobes. Breeders can choose dogs from lines with lower incidences of DCM, and holter and echo before breeding...but it can still pop up, even though your chances are less.

Maybe you could contact Gatehouse in Ontario and she could let you know about any shows. Shows are a wonderful place to meet breeders, and to see what you like.

• Gold Top Dog
    I really have no right to add anything to this post but I was interested to learn more about dobes so here I am. When I read through your wants, my immediate thought was "lab" "golden" or a similar do what your human wants with no q's asked style breed. Being a former husky owner I totally understand why you want what you do out of a dog. Believe me! Reading the description of dobes though a few things jumped out at me that would steer me away (again because I owned a husky and know the frustration involved). The first thing is the part about having to justify to the dog why you want it to do something. This is not that much different from a husky who is in it for themsleves. The training challenge will still be there. 2nd is that you want a well rounded out doors (all season) dog. From the dobes I have seen, they tend to be more sensitive to the cold this is not to say they are wimpy cold dogs but Being used to a husky who's coat is built for that it was a change for me when winter came with my aussies. Even though they are double coated, it is not nearly the same. Huskies are care free in the winter but I have to pay more attention to my aussies feet and coat (not as water and ice repellent) than I ever did with dakota. I can't imagine how the snow and ice would impact a dobe. Finally the part about care free easy handling. When I read the dobe description I thought free thinker and somewhat intense. This says to me that you have to stay alert and ahead of the dog. Maybe that's not an issue but one of the reasons I went with aussies is so that I could relax and pretty much take them with me every where even off leash. Anyhow, I'm not trying to be negative here or sway you to one dog breed or another, I just want to throw these points out as an outsiders perspective based on the 2 posts.
    • Gold Top Dog

Julie, I appreciate your input.  I'll answer it though.  The free thinker part doesn't really bother me.  I find the two very different.  I do enjoy the challenge of a husky, the only part of training I don't care for is the impossibility of a perfect or anywhere close to a perfect recall.  I am at a point where I can let both of my dogs loose, if I'm out in the bush, with no other distractions.  I know plenty of husky owners who can't even say that.  I'm not looking for an easy breed, just a different one. 

Now the coat aspect.  I get what you're saying.  I know it will be a big change.  Colassal actually going from a husky to a doberman.  But I have seen Dobes here, in the winter, out for walks with their masters.  I would assume that if you could be out without a risk for frostbite, so could the dog.  That said, when its -40 out, I'd really rather be inside anyway.  Right now, the ONLY reason I go out in those temps is for the dogs, who WANT to be out in it.  We don't spend alot of time in the really frigid temps around here.  We do go Ice Fishing when its nice out, but I'm sure a set of booties, a winter coat and a touque* would suffice.  We take the truck anyway, so the dog could go hang out in it, if it needed to.   Or the Ice Hut. 

I know that for huskies, they have headbands for dogs who have ear issues.  Tears from fights or infections or whatever, that need to be kept warm during a run.  But would a Dobe be able to wear one?  The ears are quite a bit bigger after all.  

ETA: The question that I was going to ask before I noticed Julie's post...brain fart...I've been looking at different dogs, and it seems that an awful lot of them are vWD Carriers.   I realize that doesn't mean they have it, only that they carry the gene or whatever for it.  Would it not be prudent to leave these dogs out of breeding programs and only breed dogs that test Clear?  Or am I missing something here?

• Gold Top Dog

And they have skinny heads. LOL

• Gold Top Dog

A clear to carrier breeding is fine. Here's a site that tells why clear to carrier breedings are okay...

http://www.narackdobermans.com/vwd_info.html

Yes, dobes don't really tolerate cold very well, but that's nothing a coat wont help. I have 2 for Josie.

I've never had recall problems with Josie...she is very good off leash and will basically stay wherever i am. She can be stubborn at times, but no more than Wyatt

• Gold Top Dog

Thank You.  That helps.  So Carrier to Clear will result in Carriers at worst.  Got it.

• Gold Top Dog

Yep! I don't even know what Josie is...her dad is clear, mom is carrier. I am not having her tested since she wont be bred.

• Gold Top Dog

I wonder if I'm close enough to Guelph to participate in the heart study?  Are there any big studies being done in the states?