Shih Tzu for Sale?

• Bronze

Shih Tzu for Sale?

Hello!

I want to buy my first dog, that is why i looking for shih tzu for sale. I'm likely to get pupply form http://www.pennysaverusa.com/category/merchandise-animals-pets-dogs-shih_tzu/region/w-us/radius-1/ . What do you think of this way of this? Or maybe one of us have a shih tzu for sale?  

*active link removed by moderator*

• Gold Top Dog

That's a puppy mill.

Before you adopt a puppy, please do some research on how to tell a mill from a GOOD quality breeder.  Good breeders are scarce, but please please don't support a puppy mill.

• Gold Top Dog

Have you researched the breed at all?  Are you sure that this is a breed that will fit your lifestyle?

I have a Shih Tzu and if you want a dog that likes to hang out with people more then dogs, that would prefer to lay around the house and is very laid back, then this breed may suit you.

If you are looking for a breed that you can be more active with then this probably is not the breed for you.

If you are going to buy a puppy then do so from a reputable breeder, or rescue, or shelter.  Puppies are very time consuming, so you better be able to have alot of time to spend with them. 

• Bronze

Thanks for advices. It will be my first dog. I think i'm ready for it, because i have time to take care of dog and got enough money to provide food, vet care etc.I decide for shih tzu because they are cute and they suite to my life style. So everythig should be all right:) I thought that isn't big deferent from where I get the puppy. Are puppys form mills are worst then form eg. sheler? I that every dog needs love and home. I'm a wrong?

• Gold Top Dog

The point is buying from a puppy mill only encourages the breeders to keep breeding them.  Besides they could be inbred or may have more health issues then ones breed by a reputable breeder.  A reputable breeder will have the dogs genetically tested and temperment tested as well.  It would be terribly heartbreaking to get a puppy only for it to become very ill or have health issues.

I suggest buying the best dog food you can afford.  Harley(Shih Tzu) has grain allergies and he is on a grain free diet.  Shih Tzu's tend to be sensitive to dyes and certain preservatives as well as grains.  I has to play dog food roulette till I found a food that worked well.

My Harley (Shih Tzu) was a rescue at 2 years old he is now 5.  He is a great dog, but he does not like being alone.  So he goes camping with us and we take him out with us alot.

Good luck to you!

• Gold Top Dog

Yes - a dog from a pet store is MUCH worse. Pet stores get their dogs from puppy auctions - where dogs are sold to the highest bidder and then shipped and sold again in the store. I worked with a girl who worked at a pet store for a short while - and the stories she told were horrible. She said most of the dogs that were shipped in DIED before they even made it to the shelves.

By rescuing from a breed specific rescue or shelter, you are supporting the efforts of rescue - and while there is no guarentee from a shelter - you can feel confident that you are supporting a GOOD cause that will save the lives of MANY more animals, vs. dooming thousands of puppy mill parents who are forced to produce litter after litter.

check out petfinder.com and petango.com for rescue searches to find your new pet. Finding a pup in a shelter is not uncommon - but you have to be diligent in your searches. If you do want to purchase from a breeder - so a search to find a GOOD reputable breeder. Make sure they do health certificates, the proper testing for the breed (ie eyes, legs, etc - whatever problems the breed typically has, health wise). Meet the parents - make sure they have the temperment you're looking for. Many good breeders have waiting lists for their pups - so you'll want to start your search early, and be prepared to wait (for both rescues and breeders)

• Gold Top Dog

Yes, puppy mills are bad. If you google it, you'll find tons of information and videos.

• Gold Top Dog

My parents tzu was a pet store pup and had horrible allergies his whole life. His temperment was a little off too.

• Bronze

Thanks for all information. I didn't know about horrible situations dogs form mills. That's very sad and should be abandon! I take yours advices and carefully choose the inbreed form which i take shih tzu puppy.