Akita AND Border Collie Breeders?

• Gold Top Dog

Akita AND Border Collie Breeders?

Anyone know of any good, , reputable BC or Akita breeders in NC, VA, SC, TN, or GA? I know, BC's and Akita's are like polar oppisites, but those are my heart breeds LOL. I can't pick just one! But, I'd like to find a great breeder that I can go visit and decide that way, once I'm done with college(3 years from now). Thanks!
    • Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

I'd contact the breed clubs in your area and ask for someone there to mentor you on picking a good breeder in the areas where you're interested.  Not just physical location, but the type of dog you want (conformation, obed, whatever other sports you might be looking to do w/your dog.)  You will learn a lot about the breed you love, the health & temperament issues to be concerned about when investigating a breeder, etc.  Plus what is affecting your breeds of choice in the political arena (esp Akitas.)  You can go to AKC.org and use their Breed link to find breed club links.  I realize there's a split on Border Collies, so I'm sure some of the other members here can give you alternative resources for BC breeders outside of the AKC arena. 

Rescues are another great way to get hands-on experience w/the breeds you love, and learn the health and behavioral issues that may have caused some of them to be placed in rescue to begin with.  It's one thing to hear about a condition, another to see it's impact on a dog right in front of you.  (Wobblers, bone cancer, etc, etc)

• Gold Top Dog
    Thank you Miranadobe! I really don't like the AKC for any breed(I'm a firm believer in that form follows function, not the otherway around, and AKC IS mostly a confo type reg.) But, I do see your point, there are plently of AKC breeders that have well conformed dogs that are smart, willing, and sound.(I hope). I know with BC's I'd go thru the American Border Collie Ass. but I was really hoping someone on the forum had expierence with Akita or Border Collie breeders in this area. And to clarify on what I'm looking for; smart, willing, sound minded dog. Other then that, "type" is not important!
    • Gold Top Dog

For BCs, your best bet is to find a local USBCHA trial or similar to attend so you can get to know handlers and lines of dogs *and* get the joy of watching them do what they are bred for.

I'd also highly recommend joining the Border Collie Boards at bordercollie.org - it's full of working folks and a great way to hear first hand about the breed as well as getting good leads on where to look for a potential breeder.  Keep in mind that if you just ask about breeders you'll get a ton of info on rescue as well because there are so many amazing dogs in rescue at any given time - and it's def something to consider as there are a number of stellar rescues for the breed. Phoenix Rising BCR and Carolina BCR are both great organizations.

• Gold Top Dog

http://www.hodakitas.org/

I know that's not a breeder, but I used to work with a vet who was very active in that rescue, and she was SUPER knowledgable about Akita health and behavioral issues.  I'm sure they are still getting fantastic dogs in, that are just too much dog for people.

• Gold Top Dog

You can dislike the AKC's emphasis on conformation all you like, but the reality is with a breed that is NOT used for it's original function or for performance sports- and the Akita is definitely NOT, they're pretty much the only game in town.

• Gold Top Dog
    Hi Meg. This is a terrific time of year to get acquainted with the local border collie scene. We are coming up on ourost intense trial season. There will be a trial at the end of this month in Lynchburg va and there will be a trial even closer in Oxford north of Durham. There is also a trial later on in Richmond. There are lots of good breeders. The trick is getting to know them so that you know when litters are planned. Sam's litter was not even planned and yet there was a waiting list long enough to place twice as many pups!
    • Silver

For Border Collies: Bodora Farm in GA.  Owned by Bo and Dottie Davis.  They breed for work drive, not show or pet though.  Frisbee, Flyball, Agility and Herding. Also, www.bcrescue.org.  There are several wonderful individuals handling the southeast in that rescue group.

Not to get on my soapbox or anything, but as a BC owner and lover, please make sure you know what you are getting into with this breed. Obviously, if you've owned one before then disregard everything I have to say other than the rec.  However, if you haven't owned one or had experience with obsessive herding dogs, then think carefully.  I love my girls, and my previous BC, and wouldn't trade them for anything, but it takes (no exaggeration) roughly four hours of devoted time every day to them to make them livable if you don't have sheep (or some equivalent) to work them on.  That includes strenuous hiking in different places each time and/or 5 miles of bike riding, plus obedience work and some play time.  I interact with them constantly and they both have to have jobs.  Both are in herding and one also does agility.  My previous dog was, if anything, more demanding.  It's a little different when you live on a farm and they can accompany you everywhere, of course.  I used to have such a situation and things were much easier.

I say this only because I love the breed completely, and I don't want anyone to get into them without knowing what to expect.  The good rescue sites tell you the truth.  So many end up in shelters or rescue (or stray) because they are lovely, athletic, and everyone has heard from the media how smart they are.  The reality of their intelligence (and destructive power) will really hit you where it hurts if you don't give them what they need to be fulfilled.  A bored, frustrated Border Collie is a force to be feared.

On the other hand, you will have the dog of a lifetime if you can devote the time to them.  I'm not trying to discourage you by any means, I just want you to have the most positive experience.  Good luck either way!

• Gold Top Dog
    I think Meg has been talking about Border Collies for um, what has it been now, two years? Check out bordercollies.org for information on how to fi d a good breeder. But you are practically down the road from me so when the time comes I can introduce you to the local Border Collie people. I'd strongly encourage you to come up for the trial in Oxford the last Sunday of next month. It is a benefit for a friend who has ovarian cancer so there are many coming who are "newbies". It's a really friendly group of people. I have a friend who lives in Fayetteville (she teaches at the Uni) who will be coming up for the benefit trial, too.
    • Silver

brookcove
    I think Meg has been talking about Border Collies for um, what has it been now, two years?

Ok, awesome!  I'm new here and didn't realize Smile  Like I said, I wasn't really trying to discourage her, I've just met so many people who jump into the breed unprepared and end up having to place a dog who now has issues.  I just wanted to make sure she was educated, and I really wasn't assuming that she wasn't so much as covering all bases.  I think your recs to her are excellent.  Trials are a blast! 

Meg, I hope you find your perfect dog!

• Gold Top Dog
    Sheesh Becca I wish I lived closer to you. I won't be having my bc for 4-5 years now, but after two years of my own research I'm eventually going to HAVE to take the plunge. I know I'll kick myself repeatedly if I don't, lol.
    • Gold Top Dog

razujikan
    Ok, awesome!  I'm new here and didn't realize Smile  Like I said, I wasn't really trying to discourage her, I've just met so many people who jump into the breed unprepared and end up having to place a dog who now has issues.  I just wanted to make sure she was educated, and I really wasn't assuming that she wasn't so much as covering all bases. 

Your advice was great and even if Meg already knows all that, it never hurts to put it out there for lurkers who may be reading. 

• Gold Top Dog
    Laurelin_429
    Sheesh Becca I wish I lived closer to you. I won't be having my bc for 4-5 years now, but after two years of my own research I'm eventually going to HAVE to take the plunge. I know I'll kick myself repeatedly if I don't, lol.
    Me too on the 4-5years part! Ugh, college first, then another dog! Thank you all! Becca, if I had my full licence & a street legal car, I'd be there. But I know my mom wouldn't want to drive all the way to Oxford for something dog-related. =(
    • Gold Top Dog
    razujikan

For Border Collies: Bodora Farm in GA.  Owned by Bo and Dottie Davis.  They breed for work drive, not show or pet though.  Frisbee, Flyball, Agility and Herding. Also, www.bcrescue.org.  There are several wonderful individuals handling the southeast in that rescue group.

Not to get on my soapbox or anything, but as a BC owner and lover, please make sure you know what you are getting into with this breed. Obviously, if you've owned one before then disregard everything I have to say other than the rec.  However, if you haven't owned one or had experience with obsessive herding dogs, then think carefully.  I love my girls, and my previous BC, and wouldn't trade them for anything, but it takes (no exaggeration) roughly four hours of devoted time every day to them to make them livable if you don't have sheep (or some equivalent) to work them on.  That includes strenuous hiking in different places each time and/or 5 miles of bike riding, plus obedience work and some play time.  I interact with them constantly and they both have to have jobs.  Both are in herding and one also does agility.  My previous dog was, if anything, more demanding.  It's a little different when you live on a farm and they can accompany you everywhere, of course.  I used to have such a situation and things were much easier.

I say this only because I love the breed completely, and I don't want anyone to get into them without knowing what to expect.  The good rescue sites tell you the truth.  So many end up in shelters or rescue (or stray) because they are lovely, athletic, and everyone has heard from the media how smart they are.  The reality of their intelligence (and destructive power) will really hit you where it hurts if you don't give them what they need to be fulfilled.  A bored, frustrated Border Collie is a force to be feared.

On the other hand, you will have the dog of a lifetime if you can devote the time to them.  I'm not trying to discourage you by any means, I just want you to have the most positive experience.  Good luck either way!

I wish someone had told me that when I got my first BC, Tucker. He was the best, but I couldnt handle him. BUt, after college, I'll be ready for another, and actually know what the heck I'm doing!(I hope)