Guarding Breeds for Israel's weather

• Gold Top Dog

Guarding Breeds for Israel's weather

I know of only a few guarding breeds but I would like to get more breeds so that my boss can get the one that will fitt right in. I know the weather will play a big factor but he says he wants a good guard dog no matter what kind of weather it was made for as he will acclimate the dog. He said if the dog needs air conditioning he will build the dog its own place with air conditining. I want to eliminate that hassel for him (don't get me wrong he CAN afford to build the dog its own place) but I just don't see the point. It has to be a good with kids as he has 5 kids the other problem I see is that his wife doesn't like animals so he will probably be in his own AC room. He is dead set on a boxer so if anyone could show me more breeds maybe he will be open minded and forget about the boxer (regarding the other post I made where the boxer would not be suited for the climate). I am mostly aiming for him to get the dog from a reputable breeder instead of a BYB, where he originally wanted to get a boxer from.

• Gold Top Dog

Is this the one that wants a dog in Israel?  What is the dog guarding (livestock, executive protection, estate, etc)?  What type of training is he planning on doing?  (He should know that you can't just buy a guarding breed dog and expect it to guard.  A dog like a personal protection trained German Shepherd takes years of training and a very strong bond plus on-going training and proofing by the dog and handler.  A dog out in a yard or locked in a room isn't going to guard much except his own resources).

• Gold Top Dog

Liesje

Is this the one that wants a dog in Israel?  What is the dog guarding (livestock, executive protection, estate, etc)?  What type of training is he planning on doing?  (He should know that you can't just buy a guarding breed dog and expect it to guard.  A dog like a personal protection trained German Shepherd takes years of training and a very strong bond plus on-going training and proofing by the dog and handler.  A dog out in a yard or locked in a room isn't going to guard much except his own resources).

Yes same one. Looks like his home, I need to make a list of this sort of stuff. I am trying to get together as much information as I can for him to get the right dog. It looks like I need to make a questionare and send it to him and when I have it in my hands I will be able to put together a list of dogs that fitt the bill.

• Gold Top Dog

See there is a huge variety in breed and in task.  For example, GSDs are the most popular choice for an executive security dog (a dog that protects a family or person) but not because they just do it, because they are very trainable, key word there being "train".  Even if someone can afford an adult that is pre-trained, you can't just expect to buy the dog and have it work for you, you have to develop a bond and continue with the dog's training and proofing.  The ideal would be a dog that is trained by the owner/handler with the help of a great club/helper.

A more independent, instinctively protective estate guarding dog might guard a home/property with less training, but may not have that bond with the family or be reliable around kids.

I've seen Boxers used in sport (Schutzhund), but never seen one trained for protection.  However I don't know much about the breed so maybe they are out there.

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks for the info. I will get back to you as soon as I get an answer to the questions you posted.

• Gold Top Dog
    Anatolian Shepherds are formidable estate guardians. They are livestock guardians in Texas (among other places) so weather is not an issue. They are primitive guardians though, not a protection breed. They also need secure fencing, but it sounds like this is a walled house/court or a compound?
    • Gold Top Dog

why hasn't he considered the Cannan dog?  They developed in the region.  They can be wanderers and independent, but that is controled with the environment as you descrbe it.  A couple would be very formidable.

• Gold Top Dog

mrv

why hasn't he considered the Cannan dog?  They developed in the region.  They can be wanderers and independent, but that is controled with the environment as you descrbe it.  A couple would be very formidable.

Because he doesn't know anything about dogs and the breeds, I am trying to inform him. I will add the Cannan to my list though.

Thanks!

• Gold Top Dog
    If a Canaan dog would do, he should just look into adopting a "village dog" from a local rescue. There's many very active organizations in the region like this one: http://chai-online.org/en/campaigns/war_rescue/campaigns_war_rescue_puppies.htm . Page after page of beautiful dogs (and cats) here: http://www.letlive.org.il/english/adopt.php?pages=7&type=0&pagenum=1 - including boxers and Border Collies! :(