Yorkie's - Advice Needed (mrstjohnson)

• Bronze

I agree with the Bichon Frise suggestion. Milo is a Bichon/Poodle cross, but we're not too sure, he was originally a stray. I personally think he's mostly or all Bichon. Anyway, he is a very laid back, gentle soul. Low maintenance, other than regular grooming, of course. He doesn't need a ton of exercise to be happy, just a nice walk around the block or romp with Ben at the park. Milo likes most kids he's met, as long as they're not overly hyper and excited, but her kids are older, so nothing to worry about there.

• Gold Top Dog

When I was those girls age we had a pug, Sir Boliver!   He was small but not fragile, very little shedding (not like what we have now ha!) loved to play, walk catch a ball..... swim, lol!  We had a bassett when our kids were that age also a wonderful pet for family. 

• Gold Top Dog

I think Shih Tzu are one of the best family dogs- they're small but sturdy, usually friendly with strangers and other animals, easy to be around and can be active or a couch potato. Other breeds that might be good are Bichon Frise, Miniature Poodle and Boston Terrier.

• Gold Top Dog

I'd suggest a powderpuff chinese crested.  Either an older puppy that a breeder retained or a rescue. They're energetic, little dogs that are capable of any dog sport, engaging personalities, and look like tiny afghan hounds.

• Gold Top Dog

What about getting a dog like Charlie?  A beagle or beagle mix.  I've never met one that didn't love kids.  And, they'd be able to play at family gatherings. 

• Gold Top Dog

Thank you everyone for the suggestions and input, keep them coming.  I spoke with both my nieces and my sister and she has tasked them with doing the research.  She told them that if they want this dog bad enough they need to prove their commitment.  They need to research it for a month and then come back to her and my BIL with everything.  I was over there this afternoon and Katie had already shown me her notes and Emily had a spreadsheet going for costs. 

willowchow
    What about getting a dog like Charlie?  A beagle or beagle mix.  I've never met one that didn't love kids.  And, they'd be able to play at family gatherings. 

Originally she didn't want a dog as big as a beagle, but she is changing her mind.  The biggest obstacle they are going to face is the cleanliness of their home.  I don't mean it is a little dusty, messy...it could be on one of the shows where people come in and clean it for you.  It is sad really, since it is brand new home and it is trashed.  If she and the girls make the commitment to clean the house and keep it clean, then I will believe they are committed to having a dog.

• Gold Top Dog

mrstjohnson
    They need to research it for a month and then come back to her and my BIL with everything.  I was over there this afternoon and Katie had already shown me her notes and Emily had a spreadsheet going for costs. 

This rocks -- that's absolutely what needs to happen.  It's a real eye opener for them.  You honestly might encourage them to hang out on a messageboard like this just to see the health section and training section and what sorts of things people go thru.

mrstjohnson
    If she and the girls make the commitment to clean the house and keep it clean, then I will believe they are committed to having a dog.

Dogs tend to help with that because they will *find* things that you don't even see.-- and keeping things out of their way so they don't get hurt or ingest something they shouldn't winds up being a bigger motivator than you'd think.

• Gold Top Dog
    IT wasn't until I had dogs that I "discovered" housecleaning. LOL! Not only do dogs find the stuff you thought you lost (and then eat it/chew it/bury it), but not-quite-housetrained dogs (like my foster dogs) tend to have trouble seeing the difference between a cluttered house and the outside! Snerk.
    • Bronze

I have 3 Yorkies and a Chinese Crested (HL),  My Yorkies are delightful,  everyone that meets them loves them.  I am not sure why anyone would say not to get a Yorkie or a Chinese Crested.  I have no trouble taking care of either of the two breeds.  I brush the Yorkies daily and bath all of my dogs once a week including brushing their teeth and the whole chore for the 4 dogs takes me about 2 hours which includes blow drying.  They are not finky eaters,  they travel well,  they are easy to housebreak and they do not shed at all..  The Crested,  I use a electric clipper on her to clip the stray hair once very 2 weeks. With a Crested,  all anyone has to do is use your common sense to care for her. Both breeds are very loyal and loving.

I can't say anything bad about either of the breeds.

• Bronze

My Yorkies are not as you described.  My three came from different areas/breeders but they are generally very much alike.  They do lay quietly while I watch tv or get on the computer.  I have no problem with them being overly excited or needing a lot of exercise.  I got Stormy at 6 weeks old, now 3 years old,  Max came to me at 6 months old now 3 years old and Tia came to me at 10 weeks old now 1 year old.  The Crested is about 1 1/2 years old (per my vet) she came to me about 3 months ago.  She was a rescue from a animal shelter.  She is very calm and easy going too.

If someone is interested in purchasing a pet from a pet store,  it is buyer be ware,  but like breeders,  not all pet stores purchase only bad puppies.  Just be very careful and spend time watching and getting to know the puppy before purchasing it.  Also get everything in writing.

No matter where the puppy comes from,  take it to a vet for a complete check up immediately!

Linda

• Gold Top Dog

Could be that Yorkies in the UK are more "terrier-like" than the ones in the US - maybe you have more breeders over there conscious of the "purse puppy" market - I don't know.  Either way, it is useful and relevant to remember the dog's origins, whichever breed you pick.

And never, EVER buy a puppy from a pet shop.