Collies

• Gold Top Dog

Collies

I had to put my shepherd down recently and will be getting my new pup Friday.  I certainly am not ready for another shepherd yet, but I used to live and work on a ranch with two rough collies.  They were great dogs and I always knew I would have one of my own someday.  I cannot wait to go pick the new pup up this weekend.

If you have any experience with collies, or own/owned them, please post your stories/info!  It has been such a long time since I have been around them.

• Gold Top Dog

My grandmother had a rough collie named Ringo.He was wonderfull with kids and I spent many summers combing the matts from his fur.I do know they are prone to genetic eye problems so hopefully your breeder has screened the parents.They also can carry mdr1 gene that makes them unable to  tolerate Ivermectin which is the main drug in Heartguard [heartworm preventative] and a few other drugs as well.Good luck with your pup and congratulations!

Tena

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks the the reminder on mdr1.  I am famliar with the collie-type breeds who cannot tolerate it, but it is a good thing to keep in mind.  Heartworm preventative isn't generally used around here as we have no mosquitoes to transmit it.