Doberman Pinschers- VWD question

• Gold Top Dog

Doberman Pinschers- VWD question

Hi everyone,

I am seriously looking to acquire a female dobe pup to show in a year or so. I've been researching the breed, and read about the high rates of von Willebrand's disease. While looking online at a certain Dobe's pedigree, I noticed that many dogs who were VWD carriers were bred. Is this irresponsible breeding, or is there really no way around breeding a carrier of VWD because it's so common?

Thanks!

• Moderators
    • Gold Top Dog

This is an excellent article about vWD in Dobes that could answer a lot of questions for you. It talks about DNA-mutation as opposed to older protein-based speculation.   http://www.vetgen.com/canine-ref-vwd-faq.html To quote the article:

• (1) The Dobe mutation is what geneticists refer to as "leaky." That is, the mutant gene makes a small amount of normal vWF protein. The amount made by each mutant gene is about 5% of the total normal amount. A normal gene would make 50% (so that two genes produce 100%). (2) The frequency of the mutant gene in the Doberman pinscher breed is greater than 60%! The parent of an affected animal can be also be affected, due to the high gene frequency (thus, the apparent dominant inheritance), but this is not always the case (thus, the apparent incomplete penetrance). This result was easily (and understandably) misinterpreted as the dominant, incompletely penetrant mode of inheritance as seen in humans.  
    • "Dobe *carriers* with abnormally long bleeding times are not common. Dodds, Johnson and Stokol et al. have all reported that animals do not usually bleed excessively when they have factor levels greater than 36% of normal (Dodds, 1982; Johnson et al., 1988; Stokol et al., 1995)."....
    • Gold Top Dog

A dobe that's a carrier bred to a carrier will be affected. Clear bred to carrier is either clear or carrier.

Personally, i would be more concerned what the cardio in the line looks like!! Cardiomyopathy and cancer are the biggest killers in dobes. 

• Gold Top Dog

With the dobe gene pool being what it is, I think that it would be more detrimental to the breed not to breed carriers as it would shrink the gene pool even further.  With cardiomyopathy being so prevelant in the breed, we need a wider selection of healthy, sound dogs to breed even if they happen to be carriers.

I do have a problem with people breeding carrier to carrier as it's will produce carrier or affected pups.  That being said, I don't know of any ethical breeder who would be a part in such a breeding.

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks so much for the help, guys! I definitely won't buy from a breeder that breeds two carriers, and will learn more about cardiomypathy. Thanks again for your replies.