Question Re: Goldens

• Bronze

Question Re: Goldens

Our last dog was a rescue that had health problems and fear aggression.  It's been 2 years since she had to be put down.  We're thinking of getting another dog and our vet recommends a Golden Retriever; nice temperment for our family.  Wondering if anyone can suggest either a male or female and what are their differences. 

Thanks! 

• Gold Top Dog

First off Welcome to the forum!  There are many dog loving people who are here to help answer your dog owning questions. :D

I am sorry about your last dog but I think it is great you rescued your last Golden!

My breed is Labrador Retreivers, a similar breed to Goldens but with their own differences. As far as Male VS Female goes there is much debate about which would make a better pet. I am biased and perfer nuteured male dogs, to me they seem mellower then the other sexes. However each dog is an individual and has an individual personality, some dogs are just mellower then others. 

Try talking to Golden Retreiver rescues near where you live and telling them what kind of dog you are looking for. They should be able to match you up with a rescue golden that fits your lifestyle.

• Gold Top Dog

Both males and females are great.  Females tend to be a bit less into people and into themselves, but heck they are Goldens so they are really into people anyways.

But Golden people will say, a male Golden says "I love you, I love you, I love you," while a female Golden says "love me, love me, love me!"

• Gold Top Dog

I was honestly not a golden fan until I helped some clients who had their heart set on the breed to find a responsible breeder. I still probably would never own one, but Cyrus sure is an awesome dog.

• Gold Top Dog

Pwca
     I was honestly not a golden fan until I helped some clients who had their heart set on the breed to find a responsible breeder. I still probably would never own one, but Cyrus sure is an awesome dog.

That is funny, Collies are my second favorite breed, of course Goldens are my first.  I tend to think they have alot of similarities in terms of wanting to be "good" dogs and being easy to train and easy to live with.  And I have to say Collie mixed with Golden makes the best mix in the world, although they can be a bit conflicted about swimming and barking!

• Gold Top Dog

Yeah - I would say Goldens DO have a more of a doggy odor (which I find very offputting) which is, in fairness, probably at least partially related to how much time they spend in water. :P I also don't like the 'only one color' thing, and I think while both really want nothing more than to work WITH a handler, the collies are a little more creative about it, the goldens probably a little more consistant.

• Bronze

I think we're set on getting a male.  Now - dealing with the right breeder.  The breeders I have talked to declare that their Goldens are the best.  As I said, we just want a good sweet family dog but breeders get into the characteristics of theirs and why we should get our puppy from them, etc.  I never knew until a breeder mentioned that there's a difference between a field Golden and a show Golden.  Honestly, I'm not trying to sound stupid (I'm a 40 year old woman), I thought all Goldens were the same except of course a light or brown one and male or female.  I'm educating myself before making the leap.  Any thoughts?

• Gold Top Dog

You do not sound stupid at all. It is great to educate yourself before getting a puppy!

Every breeder is going to say their dogs are best, however good breeders will be able to point out their dogs faults to you. A breeder who insists that their dogs have absolutely no faults probably does not know what he/she is doing.

Ask potential breeders if they do health testing(hips, eyes, ect) on their breeding stock. If they do not, then move on. Good breeders breed from only health tested stock so that they will (hopefully) produce healthy puppies.

The differences between show and field dogs have been discussed alot around here. I would suggest spending time with both kind to see which personalities and energy levels would fit your best. Go to shows and talk to handlers about their dogs, email trainers of Goldens, and visit kennels to meet the dogs. The more you know the easier your decision will be. Your local library should have books about Goldens as a breed, aswell.

Good breeders will temperment test theri dogs and have the dogs proven in some way.(hunting, showing, sporting)

Good breeders have a reason for breeding.(Not to show the 'circle of life' to their children, for money, or 'because they can';)

Keep in mind that inbreeding in dogs is not always bad, a couple of champions in a dogs pedigree does not mean the puppy will grow up into a good companion, AKC papers do not mean anything unless you plan on showing your dog.

• Gold Top Dog

This is a breed that likes to please you, can be very oral and mouthy as pups, and need to have early socialization and training so that they learn good bite inhibition and don't become anxious.  They do shed (a LOT) so don't get one if you can't live with that.  They are plagued by a lot of health problems, not the least of which are cancer and hip dysplasia.  Do get health insurance on this breed, because even with all the health testing in the world, occasionally a problem does crop up.  In terms of temperament, a well bred, well socialized, and well trained Golden is a great family dog and will be an absolute joy to live with.  Google "Carolyn Scott and Rookie" to see how far these dogs go to please their owners;-)))

If you decide to get one from a breeder, start with a referral from the national breed club (www.akc.org).  You can also find rescued Goldens that way.

• Gold Top Dog

BJW40
    I think we're set on getting a male.  Now - dealing with the right breeder.  The breeders I have talked to declare that their Goldens are the best.  As I said, we just want a good sweet family dog but breeders get into the characteristics of theirs and why we should get our puppy from them, etc.  I never knew until a breeder mentioned that there's a difference between a field Golden and a show Golden.  Honestly, I'm not trying to sound stupid (I'm a 40 year old woman), I thought all Goldens were the same except of course a light or brown one and male or female.  I'm educating myself before making the leap.  Any thoughts?

Excellent choice.  Although I have a female Golden now, I think I will go back to male Goldens from now on since I do like their personalities a bit better.   The first step to finding a good breeder is to go to your local Golden Club's puppy referral person.  They have lists of members who have or will be having litters.  To find your local puppy referral person, go to GRCA.org and hit the puppy link.  The GRCA (Golden Retriever Club of America) is also a good place to get information about what to look for in a breeder and a puppy. 

I would be leary of breeders who are trying really hard to sell you a puppy.  A good breeder will be interviewing you as much as you are interviewing them!  So, if the breeder does not ask you a lot of questions about your experience, expectations and plans for the puppy, look for another breeder. 

There is a difference between field Goldens and show Goldens and also another type called English Goldens.  I will try and make a quick synopsis of the three. 

Field Goldens are typically smaller and slighter in build than show Goldens and darker color.  They were bred to specialize in working as retrieving dogs for hunters and take part in hunting competitions.  They are typically higher in energy and often less sensitive to corrections.  Some of them may be very "hard" (not paying attention to corrections) because the drivey and flashy behavior is rewarded in hunting competitions and many if not most hunting trainers will use harsh techniques to get the dog to work properly.  By that I mean that the use ear pinches and e-collars for training, which means they favor a dog who can handle that type of training and not lose their spirit.  You won't find a field Golden at a dog show, unless they are having an obedience or agility competition too.  Some field type Goldens show and do very well in obedience and agility, but they are not show in the breed ring. 

Show Goldens are typically larger and blockier than field Goldens and are a lighter color.  They have more coat and more feathering on their bodies.  This type of Golden has developed to win in the breed competition.  In general, they have less energy and intensity than a field Golden, but even a show line Golden has far more energy than any person I know.  They are "softer" in personality, that is that they do not hold up as well to harsh corrections, and may be less intelligent than field lines.  Many people who breed show line Goldens are concerned with their dogs' working abilities and show them in other venues like agility and obedience.  Some do field work with their dogs to keep the original purpose of the breed intact.

The English Golden, also advertised as English Cream Golden, Colonial Cream Goldens, etc., come from lines imported into the US.  In all other contries, except for Canada, the breed standard allows for very light gold, or cream colored dogs, however, in the US, these cream color is not allowed in the breed standard.  It has become a fad (read breeders out to make a buck) to import foreign dogs to the US, breed them and charge more money because the color is "rare," or because they say English Goldens are "better."  In looks, apart from their lighter color, English Goldens tend to be shorter than other Goldens and stockier in build.  Their coats are not as full as show lines and tend to be wavy.  Fans of the English Golden say they are calmer and more laid back than American Goldens, and they are more laid back than most field line Goldens and poorly breed Goldens.  However, they are no more calm than a nice pet quality show line Golden who is from laid back parents.  In fact many American breeders will use English imports in their lines to improve an aspect of their dogs, but they are still American show line Goldens.

There is actually a fourth type of Golden appearing, which is the performance Golden; dogs that specialize in obedience and agility.  Depending on the breeder, these dogs come from either show line or hunting lines and sometimes are a mix of the two.  These dogs have a lot of energy, are very trainable, and are able focus on their handler.  My Selli is a performance Goldenwith a lot of show line blood in her, and I intend to stick with good looking performance Goldens.  

Good Luck!

• Gold Top Dog

Pwca
     Yeah - I would say Goldens DO have a more of a doggy odor (which I find very offputting) which is, in fairness, probably at least partially related to how much time they spend in water. :P I also don't like the 'only one color' thing, and I think while both really want nothing more than to work WITH a handler, the collies are a little more creative about it, the goldens probably a little more consistant.

I guess I am too used to the smell of a Golden to notice, but my pups get lots of baths and I make sure they only swim in clean water.  I find Malumutes and Huskies to smell (especially when they are being blown dry, very sour smell).

• Bronze
    Hi All, and thank you for your replies! This pup that I am considering is 3 months old. The breeder was keeping him for himself to show but the pups front paws go alittle east/west instead of north/south; as what the judges look for. Is the paw thing a worry; I didn't even notice it until the breeder pointed it out after he put the dog in a show stance to show me. He's crate trained, mostly potty trained, comes by his name. We are having our 2nd visit with him soon; again I'm trying to be smart and get him with my head and not my heart (as my vet says). My question: I have read over the contract from the breeder and he says to have him neutered after 14 months old because of hormonal reasons. Wondering if that sounds right; our vet says 6-9 months. What are your thoughts?
    • Gold Top Dog

BJW40
    Hi All, and thank you for your replies! This pup that I am considering is 3 months old. The breeder was keeping him for himself to show but the pups front paws go alittle east/west instead of north/south; as what the judges look for. Is the paw thing a worry; I didn't even notice it until the breeder pointed it out after he put the dog in a show stance to show me. He's crate trained, mostly potty trained, comes by his name. We are having our 2nd visit with him soon; again I'm trying to be smart and get him with my head and not my heart (as my vet says). My question: I have read over the contract from the breeder and he says to have him neutered after 14 months old because of hormonal reasons. Wondering if that sounds right; our vet says 6-9 months. What are your thoughts?

Paws that are a bit easty/westy should not be a problem for a pet dog.  If you plan on doing agility, you may want to speak to your vet about it.

As to neutering age, most good breeders are asking or requiring the puppy buyers to wait until a year or 18 months to get their dogs neutered.  There is mounting evidence that neutering early (before a dog is fully grown) can lead to problems with joints and bones.  The interaction between the growth hormones and testosterone in a growing pup limits the growth of bones and prompts the proper closing of growth plates.  Without the testosterone (which is what happens with neutering) the bones continue to grow and the closing of the growth plates is delayed.  

It is unlikely that you will see many negative behavioral traits of your pup being un-neutered, since Goldens are slow to mature emotionally and behaviorally.  Most well-bred Goldens will never show any negative behavioral traits of being intact.

Good luck and enjoy the puppy breath!

• Silver

BJW40
    The breeder was keeping him for himself to show but the pups front paws go alittle east/west instead of north/south; as what the judges look for. Is the paw thing a worry; I didn't even notice it until the breeder pointed it out after he put the dog in a show stance to show me. He's crate trained, mostly potty trained, comes by his name. We are having our 2nd visit with him soon; again I'm trying to be smart and get him with my head and not my heart (as my vet says). My question: I have read over the contract from the breeder and he says to have him neutered after 14 months old because of hormonal reasons. Wondering if that sounds right; our vet says 6-9 months. What are your thoughts?

Toes turning slightly out is not a concern unless you are showing in conformation. In fact, some people say that it is perfectly normal for a dog to stand that way, especially when young. Dogs that toe out slightly often move with the feet pointed straight forward, and dogs that stack with the toes pointed straight often move with the toes turned in a bit. For a working dog the first would be preferrable, it's how they move that counts.

If the pointing out is extreme, like each one turned 45 degrees from being straight ahead, then I would begin to wonder about possible arthritis in the pastern as the dog ages.

With Goldens, check to see what the hip ratings of the parents are. As a breed they have a higher than average rate of hip dysplasia. If the parents/grandparents have good or excellent ratings, then your chances are much better.