German Wirehaired Pointers

• Gold Top Dog

German Wirehaired Pointers

My boyfriend is wanting to get a GWP and I am curious to know people's experiences with them.  He is an avid pheasant hunter which is why he has chosen the breed as he has seen them at work in the field.  My only experiences have been with GSP's, but I do know a couple people who breed, hunt, and trial the wirehairs.  I have never hunted with a pointer so am unfamiliar with their styles as I have always used retrievers.  Any insight, comments, or links would be greatly appreciated!

• Gold Top Dog

I really like them. although my only experience with GWPs is from when I worked for my vet (he got his second right before I left there). The only negative I saw was that his male can/could be rather dog aggressive.  It might have only been when he was kenneled, tho, because Doc hunts/hunted with him (I'm assuming he was around other dogs then).  When my vet was on vacation, the dog had to be put in an end run with nobody in the one next to him.  Health wise, I know Rhett has/had VonWildebrands (sp?).  As far as I know, the female is fine.