Looking for info on Chessies, Tollers, & PWDs

• Gold Top Dog

Looking for info on Chessies, Tollers, & PWDs

DH wants a dog of his own, & I am trying to help him decide on a breed that we both can live with. He wants a dog that, when trained, can act as a retriever for him during his duck hunting excursions. DH could be very happy with a lab or golden, but I have serious doubts that I would be able to, sanely, live with either of these breeds. I prefer a dog that can be a clown at home with their people, but is more serious, & aloof when it is around others. We both agree that a high energy dog is a must. Since I will likely be doing most of the training with this dog, it is important that we find a breed that we will both enjoy.

Although we are about two years from getting another dog, we are already starting to research breeds. Currently, we are looking at Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers, & Portuguese Water Dogs.

Our knowledge of any of these breeds is limited, at best. Does anyone know any of these breeds personally? If so, what are your impressions of the breed? A mention of personality quirks, ease of training, & health issues would be greatly appreciated. 

• Gold Top Dog

From what I've read and talking to a couple of Chessie owners, they seem to have a harder personality than the other retrievers (tend to be kind of one person/family oriented, more protective, etc).

• Gold Top Dog
    BEVOLASVEGAS

Portuguese Water Dogs.

I dog walk one of these. He's awesome! Super smart, super friendly- once he gets to know you. If he doesn't know you then he's aloof. He LOVES the water, and is always looking for it when we go to the park. He's a very cool dog, but his owner said his coat is alot of up keep.

• Gold Top Dog

I personally have never met none of these breeds. There is a user on here...maybe her name is orangedog, that has 2 tollers and 2 dobies, maybe she'd be a great person to talk to!

• Gold Top Dog

Chessies are great dogs.  My experience with them has been that of all the retriever breeds they are the least forgiving of trainer errors.  If you make a correction that is unfair (and we all do this even if we don't like to admit) the dog WILL remember and will be less willing to "believe" you in the future. They truly are a breed that wants to think for themselves.  Unfortunately, to have a finished retriever you want the dog to do things your way.LOL I have seen many wonderful Chessies competing in Hunt Tests and also  as "meat hunters".   They are full of energy but I wouldn't describe them as very high energy.  Protective of their family and not overly friendly with strangers. A Chessie, IMO, will take a little longer to train but will be a very rewarding dog. The first dog I ever trained for someone else was a Chessie and she taught me a lot!!

PWD's I have only a limited experience.  They seem very high energy and very smart.  The few I have been slightly involved with retriever training were very fast learners, a little soft ( could just be the individual's personality) and as someone said they have coats that require LOTS of combing and periodic trips to the groomer. The ones I knew were quite goofy but they were under two years and still pups mentally.

Tollers I have no experience other than seeing a few at Hunt Tests.  These dogs did well and were both owned by the same person.  They both were very barky which is a big no, no at a Hunt Test and in a real hunting scenario!  The history of these dogs is so interesting and I kind of want one just to get to know more about this breed. 

• Gold Top Dog

I'll try my best to give you some Toller info! If I miss any specifics (and I'm sure I will!), let me know, and I'll answer them for you as best I can.

Tollers should be extremely energetic, active, always on the go dogs. My two aren't as energetic as many, but that's not the norm for the breed. My breeder has dogs that are super laid back like Dance and Spring, and she also has dogs who just. never. stop. That being said, mine are incredibly easy to live with as they're complete couch potatoes inside, but as soon as they're out and about, they're ready to go non-stop. They require at least an hour of exercise daily, preferably more (both physical and mental). If that doesn't happen, then like many other high energy breeds, they'll find other ways to use up that energy. Ways that result in destruction, nuisance barking/whining, etc. They're very high drive dogs as well as highly intelligent, relatively easy to train dogs. They aren't as people pleasing as Goldens or Labs. They're very "what's in it for me?" dogs, but they do love to work, and with the right motivation learn things incredibly quickly.

Tollers are very alert dogs. More so than most breeds I've been around. My two don't miss a beat. They can look sound asleep and even if I so much as move my foot they spring up and assume I'm going somewhere fun. They're also said to be more independent than other retrievers, but they still adore their people. They're just not in your face constantly.

Tollers need loads of socializing all through out their life, and especially as puppies. More so than many other breeds. Dance has had tons and is still at times pretty shy and barky if a stranger stares or touches her. I couldn't imagine how she'd be had I not taken her everywhere with me. Gradually we're working through this though and she is getting much better with age. Tollers don't have a "Hi, I just met you and you're my best friend" attitude, which is another point that makes heavy socialization all the more important. Most are pretty reserved with strangers and save their exuberance for close friends and family. They're very devoted to their family.

They have a wide array of whines, yodels, howls, etc. The Toller scream is quite often used when the dog is in anticipation of something, or a state of extreme excitement or anxiety. And no, not all Tollers do scream, but it's something to be aware of. Neither of mine scream really. Spring did a couple times in excitement when I first got her, but never since. Eventhough they're capable of making all sorts of weird noises, that doesn't mean that they're non-stop yap all the time. My girls hardly ever bark, unless startled by something, or see a real reason too. When I ask them to quit, they do immediately.

Health wise, they are very prone to auto-immune disorders, but those can generally be prevented through a limited vaccine protocal. Tollers are extremely prone to vaccine reactions, and many breeders do not allow any vaccines to be given except a single Parvo as puppies and Rabies and Distemper only if required/are at high risk for either disease. They're also prone to hip dysplasia, thyroid conditions, & PRA/CEA. Toller breeders are heavily into health testing their dogs though and ensuring owners follow limited vaccines, so health issues shouldn't be a major concern.

And here's the "Top 10 reasons not to get a Toller" list:
    http://www.calibertollers.com/toller/topten.htm

It's not something to steer you away from the breed, but it's full of information any potential Toller owner should be aware of.

I think they're just perfect and I will never not have a Toller in my life. Lol, I lasted just slightly over a year with just one before I decided I needed another! And since you already have a Doberman, I have to say, the two breeds compliment eachother nicely. I love having both breeds in the house. A couple other people I know with Dobermans also either have a Toller, or are looking to get one soon. :)

• Gold Top Dog

I have been around PWDs for years now. I'm not sure they would make such a great hunting dog for your husband - they are not really used for hunting and most breeders are breeding mostly for show or show/performance. I'm sure some PWDs can be good gundogs but I wouldn't count on one to be. There is also a big issue in the breed with sound sensitivity (they're actually trying to find a genetic marker for it), which is a deal breaker for a gundog. If he is serious about wanting a hunting dog, you would do better to stick with a breed that is proven in the area from a breeder who hunts their dogs.

If you want an unusual breed for the job there is the Irish Water Spaniel, American Water Spaniel, Spinone Italiano and Vizsla. Also some are now breeding Standard Poodles for hunting (actually their original purpose). http://www.lakelandhuntingpoodles.com/ Poodles actually sound very much like what you posted you'd like to have in the dog.