Aussie/Border Collie

• Gold Top Dog

Aussie/Border Collie

For anyone with firsthand experience with both breeds I would like to compare and contrast the disposition and trainability of them.My 11 year old son has a working bred Aussie.We almost didn't get her because of the negative things we'd read.We have 40 acres therefore she gets alot of exercise and my son is forever teaching her new tricks and commands.She is a lovely dog and I credit her breeder for much of that.So tell me....could I expect a similar experience from a BC or are they significantly different?

Tena

• Gold Top Dog

I've worked with both Aussies and Border Collies:

There are similarities but they are very different, too.  Border Collies are much more intense, in general.  Working line Border Collies tend to be more patient and have more natural impulse control.  People used to bouncy, happy Aussies may be unnerved by a dog that burns holes in your forehead and seems to read your mind.  Others really get to liking it.  I've got four BCs in the room with me right now and you could use their noses as a compass to find me.  anytime I move their eyes snap open and stare at me.  I'm used to it so it's pretty funny when visitors who aren't into BCs come and start getting freaked out.

However, Aussies are more persistent and are in general, tougher (a well bred dog will be).  They are more forgiving and willing to jolly along with the situation.

Training a BC is like learning to drive a Ferrari.  It's fiddly but once you've got it, the precision and control is unmatched in the dog world.  The Aussie is more like a Jeep Wrangler.  You can really go anywhere with an Aussie and you don't need a precise manner of training compared to the BC.  And if you screw up you have the ability to undo it, instead of lying in a heap in the side of the road.

• Gold Top Dog

So what I'm hearing Becca is that a BC is more challenging.My son finds that Ferrari/Jeep Wrangler analegy very funny.I wonder though if Noel,being bred for work is more similar to your dogs.She watches everything and while I can't say she reads minds, she does understand nearly everything I tell her.It is almost spooky.I love my labx so much but she is not anything like this aussie.Jewel is content with food,exercise and a soft spot to sleep.Noel on the other hand craves constant interaction.My son can put her on a down-stay in the yard and play football with his friends while she watches.It about kills her,but she stays.I am 43 and never in my life have I had a dog with such focus.

Tena

• Gold Top Dog

I'm a BC lover....I got my first BC in '03, I was 11. I trained Tucker all by myself, housetraining and all. He learned so quickly it was unreal. We would let him run free sometimes, he would leave the yard and be all the way on the back side of our neighbors 40acre pasture/pond, I would yell his name a few times and within 2 minutes I could see him coming over the hill towards home. He was the best dog. The mind-reading thing is right on the money though, he practicly knew what comand I was going to say before I even said it, sometimes I would just think the word 'down' and look at him, he'd do it. It was freaky, but once you have a BC, no other dog will ever measure up. I'm hopefully going to be getting my 3rd BC here soon. I curently own a Lab-X (who is looking for a home because he isnt the right dog for our family) and a Pom-X-Shih Tzu. Both are great dogs, but they both seriously lack in the intensity/trainablity/awsomeness(LOL) of a well-bred Border Collie.