Sorry - nevermind. (aDork)

• Gold Top Dog

You're correct. The question is (without drama inducing tidbits):

I am interested in getting a puppy in a few years and wanted to know how to research Razor's Edge lines without coming up with the stupid "American Bullies" stuff. Because that's all I seem to be able to find. Also, is there a way to look up a dog who is UKC registered? I'd like to be able to look at Dixie's pedigree (which I assume is required for registration, but I may be wrong).

I'm also open to any suggestions on books to read, things to watch, or anything that will help me be better prepared to handle a pit bull puppy later on. And if any owners want to help me out with differences between males and females (attitude wise) and what dynamic works best for them, that'd also be great. I currently have a very submissive male mutt who gets along better with males than he does with females, he's not aggressive, but he plays better with male dogs. I just want to know what I'm planning to get myself into. 

• Gold Top Dog

I would definitely get a female, if you go the pibble route, given that you have a male right now. Even if he prefers males, the new dog may have a tendency towards same-sex issues.

Pitties are really loving dogs, and eager to please. Athletic and smart. One thing that you will always need to watch out for is dog aggression. Never assume that just because she or he has never been aggressive that it won't ever happen, or that your dog won't finish what another dog starts. Some pitbulls never show an ounce of dog aggression, but in my opinion a responsible pitbull owner always lives "as if" that is a possibility.

• Gold Top Dog

aDorkable

You're correct. The question is (without drama inducing tidbits):

I am interested in getting a puppy in a few years and wanted to know how to research Razor's Edge lines without coming up with the stupid "American Bullies" stuff. Because that's all I seem to be able to find. Also, is there a way to look up a dog who is UKC registered? I'd like to be able to look at Dixie's pedigree (which I assume is required for registration, but I may be wrong).

I'm also open to any suggestions on books to read, things to watch, or anything that will help me be better prepared to handle a pit bull puppy later on. And if any owners want to help me out with differences between males and females (attitude wise) and what dynamic works best for them, that'd also be great. I currently have a very submissive male mutt who gets along better with males than he does with females, he's not aggressive, but he plays better with male dogs. I just want to know what I'm planning to get myself into. 

Well if you are wanting to research an American Bully line that is what you are going to find. That only makes sense. I know Dave wrote a short little thing about himself/dogs, not much info but just how he started out breeding or whatever. That is floating around the net somewhere. There is a publication called Atomic Dog magazine in which you can find a lot of RE and Gotti dogs, breeders, pictures, articles including ones by Dave himself. If you don't like those kind of dogs though then researching seems pointless. What is it that you are really looking for researching the bloodline of RE, like what are you trying to find out? I don't have RE dogs, there are too many health and structure problems for me but I know some people who do have or breed them, so I've had some experience with them. Kind of depends what you're questions are.

From what I gather Dixie is a female that belongs to your friend, which they got from a breeder? Your friend should have viewed the pedigree prior to purchase and been given the pedigree at purchase, although it is not required. It is up to the seller if they want to provide you with a pedigree and up to the buyer to make sure they see one beforehand. If the seller didn't have the pedigree or just didn't give it to him, he can order one from the UKC for a fee. Same as with any other registry.

I'm not sure what you've already researched/read since you are considering this breed I assume you've done at least some research, so here is what I recommend.

A New Owner's Guide to American Pit Bull Terriers by Todd Fenstermacher The book is short, but simple to the point and very informative. Some books are so basic that they lack any real information.

The Stratton books have been very popular, there is some valuable breed info then lots of stories of the old dogs, their matches and pics. I don't know how helpful it would be. I own some dogs of his line and they are some of the most intelligent, willing to please and affectionate I've had. There is at least some useful breed info and there is other book suggestions to read for info on the APBT and Staff.

This site has lots of great info, this is just one section but there are several good links.
     http://www.pbrc.net/breedinfo.html

http://www.workingpitbull.com/
    Diane Jessup's site has some good info too, although I don't agree with many things she does or says, just the contradictions, self praise and putting others down is not what I'm about, but she does have some good info and do some good for the APBT. So you have to give credit where credit is due and I think some of the info would be helpful to you if you check out the About Pit Bulls section.

You can also ask questions on the forum too. While it shouldn't be the only research one does on a breed I totally understand how talking real time with owners helps to really answer a lot of questions from their experience vs reading some general info in a book. 

To me there is no difference in attitude between male and female (in some cases because of the work they've been bred for). In some breeds differences are obvious, but other times people overgeneralized male vs female as a whole. One or the other is more obedient, smarter, calmer, more protective, ect. You will have to decide which suits you better. With a male it is often recommended that you get a female to avoid same sex aggression, even if your male gets along with other males better you're male Pit Bull might not. However I find that 2 males can live together easier and happier more often then 2 females. There is also the fact that while many worry about same sex aggression, DA between Pit Bulls can in fact cross the sex barrier. There are a number of females which are aggressive to both male and female. You will also find that a lot of the time the female is the boss over the male, which if you're male isn't as good with females might cause issues with the female wanting to be in charge. I would recommend to try an adult rescue who's been in a foster situation where you can know more about their background and see how well they get along with your dog. Instead of looking at male or female I'd try to find the best match in either sex. Although some rescues will not adopt out same sex, it will just depend.

As far as male vs female, it doesn't come down to gender but individual dog and bloodline. On how smart, affectionate, hyper, athletic, easy to train, energy level, alert, ect. The only thing that is obviously different is the sex drive of a male. This varies so what you get still depends on the dog and whether they are intact or neutered (neutered males can still have some drive though). Some males are crazy to breed, even if they can smell a female in heat from afar they will want to find a way to get to her and if they are around a female even not in heat they still might have an interest in her. Others are in between, they will want to breed with a female in season who is ready and right in front of them but not bother if they can smell from afar or if they are separated they will not chew out of a crate or threw a door like those who are crazy to breed. Some although intact do not much care about females, even ones in season, they do not try to breed her and would need help/encouragement to do so, this has to do with the dogs own drives, if they've been bred before and what their relationship is to the female. Some which live together the male might be the under dog and not been bred before, where the female is the boss and he will not try to breed with her, he will be submissive, playful and affectionate during her heat but won't attempt to mount her.

Some will say females are more protective, easier to train, or that males are more affectionate or easier to train. I find that those things really vary and you can't sum it up with gender. I've had intelligent and not so bright males and females. I've had affectionate males and females both, I've had males and females who were not affectionate. I've had easy to train or more stubborn in both. I've had hyper in both genders and more calm but ready to go when you are in both genders.

What you're getting yourself into does depend highly on the dog, but you want to learn the warning signs of a possible fight if one dog is losing tolerance. You want to know how to use a breaking stick. You want a secure fence to supervise your dogs in if you don't already have one. Your new dog might need lots of exercise and outlets to be happy. You really need to decide what type of temperament would work best for you, what you want to do with the dog and what you want in the dog. This will help you be able to choose the right match for you and plan ahead for whats needed. 

• Gold Top Dog

Wow, spicy_bulldog. That's a lot of information, thank you so much.

My friend didn't purchase Dixie, her old owner (the drama-inducing one) decided he couldn't keep her anymore and my friend went out to pick up a puppy or Dixie after losing his male to a car accident. What he ended up with was a very pregnant bitch. He's still in touch with the old owners and needs to pick up her pedigree, so he does have access to it.

Razor's Edge seems to be the founding blood of the American Bully, but Dixie and the others I've seen from her, look like well-bred APBT. What health concerns are there with RE dogs? I've noticed a very uncomfortable hip movement in the males. What lines do you think have the best temperament/structure?

I'll look into those books and websites. Thanks again.

• Gold Top Dog

Either way previous owner should have given her paperwork or as you said he will pick it up. I'm sorry to hear about his male, thats very sad.

There are a few different lines of American Bully. RE is a big one. There are some old school ones but they are few and far between. Either way RE is heavy AST blood, most all the foundation dogs were AST with some having a little APBT in their pedigree and the majority I've seen that are still the old type that were not crossed resemble AST to me. Without the pedigree there really isn't a way of knowing. Just like with any other popular or known bloodline people use it as a selling point. She might not have that much RE blood in her but they use it so sell pups off her. I was looking for a specific bloodline, just out of curiosity since it is not very popular and hard to find still intact and correct. I had someone call who had a litter of pups, totally opposite of what I was looking for and the dam had a little of the blood I was looking for. Its like OMG people. They are really trying to sell pups to the wrong person. The sire was actually a RE dog. I told them I was looking for the bloodline I stated only and that I didn't want a dog that is a bully or mostly AST. They had no idea what was even behind their own dogs. 

Health problems
    Gastro-intestinal
    Various skin problems
    Allergies
    Joint problems

"Best temperament" is really subjective and relative to what the person is looking for. I like the dogs that are social and have stable temperaments which you can find in general in the APBT. Some seem more standoffish (dog of the Zebo line strike me as often standoffish to strangers) and others are skittish but this you will have to really look into, since bloodlines are not bred by only 1 or 2 individuals there is a variance depending on who is breeding or culling that line. I can name some that I've seen which were shy or skittish but I've seen others of that same line which were fine.

Really there is a lot more too temperament then good or bad, there is the overall temperament, personality and traits of the dog. If that makes sense, the traits the dog has besides simply friendly or aggressive. For overall temperament and intelligence I like some OFRN/Clouse very smart, versatile, quick learners and nice temperament just depends on who's breeding it, some I don't like which have been bred away from proper structure and might have a different temperament and lack of intelligence.I also like the Stratton blood that is heavy in Boots/Goinglight, overall most have great structure, nice conformation, intelligence (problem solving skills), willingness to please, quicker learners, affectionate and good balanced temperament. I think the Sorrells line consistently produces dogs of a nice temperament with lots of drive, great structure and correct conformation. Lar-San dogs have nice structure, conformationally sound, good temperament overall, balanced and pretty smart of course they used some OFRN in the foundation, some might be a little overdone too at least for my liking. I liked the old Dangerzone blood too, but that is almost all but lost, the line was not that well established so dogs bred down from Danger Zone have been diluted to where it low % in the pedigree, totally different structure AmBully type, and can be found crossed to in the Camelot/Kubar dogs. He also had OFRN blood, his grand dam was an Amberlite bitch and his sire Buster Jo sired some other nice dogs who can be seen in Amberlite pedigrees and one of my other favorite dogs Hanson's Jo Mite, he is seen in plenty of the pedigrees out there and his dam was an OFRN bitch. The structure on most of those dogs is very nice, some are overdone or have several faults so you just have to look for the right source and the right breeding. 

EDIT: The Boogieman dogs have nice structure, very nice conformation. Good temperament and drive, but I'd say only medium intelligence.