Cavalier King Charles Spaniels - for me - what do you think?

• Gold Top Dog

Cavalier King Charles Spaniels - for me - what do you think?

So, some of you may know that the prospect of getting a third dog has been in my mind for some time now. I originally thought of an aussie or BC, but have decided that right now a smaller dog would work best for me. I have always liked the cavalier king charles spaniels, and today met one at the park that was so charming. I like that they are little yet sturdy and capable.

So I would like some of your opinions...if you think this breed would work for me. I'm not sure if I would adopt or purchase from a breeder - it really depends on whether I not I plan to show. So here's a little about my "dog lifestyle". So of course I have 2 large dogs. Cadie doesn't care about other dogs (take them or leave them pretty much) but Riley loves them, especially little dogs. He is good at playing with them as well (he doesn't get mouthy or bowl into them). My dogs each get at least a 30 min. walk during the day (there is a small park nearby where they can run as well) as well as a ton of playtime in our fenced yard. We go to the dog park usually 2x a week and the regular park once or twice weekly.

I'm a senior in high school this (coming) school year so only have a year left, but I am going to our state college that is 20 minutes away, so I'll still be home to take care of my dogs. Also, during the school year this fall, I'll have 2 free periods during the day and I live literally 2 minutes from school, so I can drive home and let the dogs out - it's not like they'll be cooped up for 8 hours straight. Also, Riley is now pretty much done with his cage - he is doing GREAT when he is left alone when no one is home, and he never is in it during the night - he always sleeps on my bed.

I have deeply thought about, also, what getting another dog would mean for Riley - he is my FIRST priority (Cadie is the family dog, Riley is mine. Riley's much more attached to me so that's why I'm concerned for him and not Cadie). Riley will be starting agility August 19th so that is something we will be doing together. He *LOVES* little dogs - he goes crazy at the park when he wants to play with one! Quite honestly, I think he would love a playmate. He loves Cadie and all, but she only plays on her terms.

So, what do you guys think? Also, any "warnings" or red flags for this breed that I should be aware of? I know they aren't the healthiest, but I am prepared for that and will continue to research.

I have 2 extra cages plenty big enough for an adult CKCS, leashes, etc. The only difference supply wise would be the food obviously, different heartworm/flea prevention size, etc.

This turned out to be super long, oops. Thanks for any help though! I appreciate it. I really want this to be an informed decision.

• Gold Top Dog

They are prone to dislocating knee caps, back troubles, ear infections, and early onset of deafness. Sometimes even hip dysplasia. They also can gain weight easily so do bot overfeed.

They love to play with their toys and a short walk a day should be suffient. They also do not like hot weather very much.

Some that I know are relatively good off leash in a feild type area but you would have to train that obviously.

They need to be brushed once a week. The ears are very prone to matting.

They are very much lap puppies also.

• Silver

One of the forum members posted this link before when the topic was about Cavaliers, so I read it myself and was really impressed with the wealth of info from this site.  I tracked it down again for you so you can take a look and browse.

http://www.cavalierhealth.org/index.html

They are wonderful little dogs, with such a gentle and sweet personality... Friends of our had one, and I've met several others, and all of them shared one common thread.  They were all sweet dogs with a strong desire to be with the ones they love, so if that's what your looking for in a small package.. you may have found your next companion...

Good Luck!

• Gold Top Dog
    This link has lots and lots of great info on this breed. I appreciated receiving it when I had a backup hold on a female KCC at the shelter where I volunteer. The biggest potential (probable) health issue w/this breed is MVD. It sounds like most of these dogs who make it to a "senior" age, die of congenital heart failure in connection to this illness. Their life expectancy is not as long as most other breeds. All of that said, I still wanted to adopt Coco, but the other people showed up and adopted her. (I did meet the "dad" at a post adopt class yesterday and he was great). Needless to say, I was not swayed by the potential health issues, but be aware that the cost of vet care, etc can be high. **If it happens. On the flip side, they are great little dogs - very friendly and loving. The perfect lap dog. Not to mention beautiful!! Whatever you decide I think it's great that you are researching the breed prior to making a decision. I wish all people would do that. It shows that you are a responsible pet owner. Good luck!! **P.S. You may try to find one to adopt on Petfinder. They are not inexpensive dogs, but there are many in need of forever homes. I woul dask all the pertinent questions prior to adoption though.
    • Gold Top Dog

Thanks so much for the info and suggestions everyone! That link looks GREAT - I'll definitely be reading it. If I were to get one, it wouldn't be until Christmastime at the earliest. But it's never to early for preparation, right? I'm not sure if I'll be adopting or purchasing from a breeder yet. There are two local breeders, and a couple a few hours away. But right now it's all research, research, research!

• Silver

I'm glad that the link was of some help, again it was a link that had been previously been posted by another forum member, so I'm grateful to have found it again.  When I first read it, I was blown away by the amount of health info that it provided, as I love reading about all sorts of breeds, especially health info. 

I scoped out the direct rescue link from the parent club website.  I'm not sure if you have already visited this site or even this page, but I just wanted to point it out to you.  (P.s. The website besides the rescue link is really loaded with tons of Cavalier infoSmile):  http://ackcsc.org/rescueinfo.htm

I also found a great list of published books on the Cavalier breed, some are from the mid 90's, but I know a couple of them are really good resources for info: http://www.arkwebshost.com/nonprofit/cavalierkcsuk/Books.shtml

And finally, here is the link to the Canadian Cavalier parent club.  I wanted to give you the link as there is some detailed articles about getting a Cavalier puppy, finding a breeder, etc:  http://cavaliercanada.com/  .... I just had to add a Canadian element...Wink

It's nice to hear when someone does their homework, and actually looks into the breed.  It prepares you for what may/may not come you way, and shows to a perspective breeder/rescue that your comitted to this animal.  Best of luck.. and keep us updated on your progress!

Ashley

• Gold Top Dog

I *may* be a little biased, but the toy spaniels are amazing dogs!  They're all so good and such characters.  A lot of dog and a lot of heart in a little package.  We looked at Cavs before being hooked on the papillons. (We had it down initially to min pins, cavs, cresties, and paps)

Honestly, one of the major deal breakers for us was the health problems the breed has.  I know you have good reading but make sure you've read up on the potential health problems and costs associated with the breed. (Well, that wasn't the only deal breaker but that was a major concern we had)

I do love their size a lot more than the paps.  They're quite a bit bigger, which to me is a good thing.  They seem lower energy than the paps to me too.  (could be a good or bad thing depending on your preferences)

Good luck with your research.

• Puppy
    Good for you in doing your research into this most loveable breed of dog!  They are personable, affectionate, wonderful with children and will stick to you like a burr!!  I have a 2 year 7 month old blenheim girl named Emma and she is a delight.  There are serious health issues with the Cavalier though.  The worst being SM.  If you are purchasing from a breeder, make sure you ask if they MRI for SM.  MVD and luxating patellas are also common in this breed.  Before you make your decision go to cavaliertalk.com and read the information.  It is an incredible site for those of us that love these charming little dogs.  I'd have a houseful if I could!!!