Pain Relief Dogs

• Gold Top Dog

Pain Relief Dogs

Interesting information I got in my FM Aware newsletter.   Just wondering if anyone is familiar with this breed or this program?

My Mom, myself and my daughter have been diagnosed w/Fibromyalgia.  I  used heat alot, although I find that my pain threshold is much more tolerant than my Mom's

Grants for Pain Relief Dogs

FMOnline vol. 8, no. 4

Xolos are a breed of dog that can provide the same warmth as a heating pad for relief of chronic pain. Due to their hairlessness, the dogs' heat is easily felt. These dogs are highly intelligent and can be trained to do just many tasks. Dogs weighing more than 12 lbs. also provide traction that can contribute to pain relief. These Mexican Hairless dogs available by purchase or grants through Xolos For Chronic Pain Relief ™ (X-CPR)™.

1. Those interested in obtaining a "hot dog" can visit http://www.pawsforcomfort.com/ for information about X-CPR's™ service dog placement program, pictures, stories, info about the breed, and the application form.

2. Currently two dogs are available: one male and one female miniature-size Xolos, born Oct. 15, 2007.

3. The dogs are currently undergoing obedience and service dog preparation training.

---------------------------

This article was originally published in FMOnline.

• Gold Top Dog

only thing i know about xolos is they are a form of sight hound.

its a quirky little program to say the least Smile but i dont know if it would be necessary or not since i am not too familiar with the disease. my dads girlfriend has it and takes meds for it but isnt disabled or anything. 

i think if you're in a position to keep a dog like this and do your homework and not just rely on a training program then it wouldnt be a bad idea.  

• Gold Top Dog

Xolos are a primitive breed. They're fascinating dogs. They've been respected, for thousands of years, for their healing abilities. They were worshiped for their abilities to guard, provide food, and heal. They have a very rich history.

They also smell really, really good.

And from what I hear, they can be quite challenging dogs. That goes with any primitive dog, though. 

• Gold Top Dog

That is very interesting feedback.  I have always known that Dogs and cats in general are very good for therapy and can help with many physical and psycological patient needs.  I had never heard of them acutually being used for "Heat" Therapy.   The problem with Fibromyalgia is that in most cases you do not "appear" to be disabled, however the pain, foggy thoughts, memory and sleep problems are quite unsettling and can interfere with your daily life.   My mom also has MS and therefore does take meds, I prefer not to take meds and for the last 10 years since diagnosis have managed my FM with excercise, heat and essential oil therapy.    I just thought the idea of a pet not only as a companion but also as "heat" therapy was pretty unique.   

• Gold Top Dog

Emma is... a pretty odd duck. She's been communicating with me, since before I met her. She and I have a very special connection.

I have a few manageable health issues. Emma will, very routinely, find the place that hurts and lie on it. She's relaxed away a lot of cramps and pains, with her body heat and weight. It truly does make a difference. She's not a Xolo, and she's not hairless, but she's warmer than I am, LOL. 

• Gold Top Dog

Thats great she is so connected.   Shadow used to lay on me too but he was 130 lbs  and it was more un-comfortable than it was comforting...lol

Rocky loves to curl up in my lap too but he is going to be big too.   Maybe I could teach him to do back massage rather than heat therapy. Ha!

• Gold Top Dog

A client who comes in to work had four of them (she lost one though)..she still has two of the mini size and one of the standard.  They have a ton of blackheads  and her standard has some dental issues, but they're lovely, temperament wise.

• Gold Top Dog

Thats pretty interesting, is that a typical skin problem for that type of dog?

• Gold Top Dog

It is common in hairless dogs to have skin issues and dental issues.  Generally speaking, the better bred, well cared for dogs have less chance of having these issues, but of course... things happen. Just like the bigger breeds with HD, sometimes you get it, despite doing all the right things.

• Gold Top Dog

There's some interesting legal issues surrounding 'pain relief' dogs as service dogs, although that's nothing to do with the breed. I think the case that I heard about involved IGs.