Any guesses on Cruiser's breeds?

• Gold Top Dog

Any guesses on Cruiser's breeds?

So, we've had Cruiser since Saturday, six days now!  The rescue had him listed as Corgi/Border Collie.  Hmmm, not quite sure about that. I think his sturdy body has a Corgi shape, but his coloring his throwing me off.  We've been playing "guess the breed" here since he came home, just curious if anyone has any input?  He's about 25 pounds (will be going to the vet monday to find out exactly), has short legs, but not short like a dachshund, a long body, floppy ears, a curled tail, and is black and tan (obviously). 

• Gold Top Dog

Gosh, he's cute!  He has the sweetest look in his eyes.  I'm thinking there may be some Australian Shepherd in his background.  Something about that first picture reminds me of an Aussie a trainer I know had, right down to the coloring.  He's probably mixed with more than two breeds. 

• Gold Top Dog

micksmom
    Gosh, he's cute!  He has the sweetest look in his eyes.  I'm thinking there may be some Australian Shepherd in his background.  Something about that first picture reminds me of an Aussie a trainer I know had, right down to the coloring.  He's probably mixed with more than two breeds.

Ditto.  In two of his pictures, he reminds me of of an Aussie.  But there's definitely something reminiscent of a dachshund in there.  He's a cutie regardless!

• Gold Top Dog

Yeah, I'm thinking he's probably has 3 breeds in him, it just seem like there is nothin overly pronounced. He is SOOO sweet, such personality and loves everyone!

I thought maybe a little bit of dachshund to, mostly because of his coloring. I could see Aussie, I think!  He's our sweet pumpkin no matter what breed, but the curiousity kills me!

• Gold Top Dog

LillianD

...I thought maybe a little bit of dachshund to, mostly because of his coloring. I could see Aussie, I think!  He's our sweet pumpkin no matter what breed, but the curiousity kills me!

To be honest, except for his coloring, I don't see Dachshund in him.  And there are a lot of breeds that are or can be black and tan.  Smile  He really does look like a sweetie.

• Gold Top Dog

I absolutely see dachshund, especially in the shape of the front legs and paws, not to mention the coloring, longish back and muzzle.  I would even say half dachshund.  The other half I can't guess though.

• Gold Top Dog

jenns

I absolutely see dachshund, especially in the shape of the front legs and paws, not to mention the coloring, longish back and muzzle.  I would even say half dachshund.  The other half I can't guess though.

Yeah, when I first got him I thought half dachshund for certain.  Now I think his body looks almost identical to a corgi, but I see the dachshund traits in him you mentioned.  He is definitely just as stubborn as I've read doxie's can be (although I know it's not good to genralize).   I was thinking he might be a dachshund/corgi/and BC or Aussie as the third.  He seems to have attributes of all three of those breeds. 

• Gold Top Dog

I see more dachsie than anything - Corgis are sturdier looking, the "big dog in a little dog body" thing.  He could be just about anything else, or any other mix, on top of that, since the dachshund can explain the coloring, size, dwarfism (the short legs aren't a shape, it's a genetic condition), and even the ears and tail.  I'm with Stacy that he could be as much as half dachshund.  Maybe Aussie, Cocker Spaniel, sheltie, really anything with a long coat and not too huge, or any mix thereof.

You might want to reserve judgment until you see more of his behavior.

• Gold Top Dog

Thank you!!    I am so anxious to know what to call him when people ask instead of just "mix", but there isn't a rush or really a necessary reason to have to know the breeds.   His personalities and behaviors are just starting to show now that he's getting more comfortable, so I'm sure that will be a process. Stubborn for sure though, definitely has some herding instincts going on, circling his toys, or Sophie (and nipping at her ankles while doing it). 

• Gold Top Dog

Being that we're on our fourth dachshund,I definately see doxie in his feet. Just looking at the shape and how fat they(no offense) look and his coloring is like our Lucy's coloring.   He sure is cute!

• Gold Top Dog

What's funny to is when he lays down he looks fat, but when you look from above you can see his waist easily and feel his ribs without trying. It's weird how when he lays down he looks so chubby LOL!