What Breed should I get?

• Gold Top Dog

Don't know if you are still looking for suggestions or not, but thought I'd try to help. I personally wouldn't go with a Doberman, German Shepherd, etc. I do not think these are good choices for a first time dog owner at all. Nor would I go with an Australian cattle dog. These are breeds that can be really dominant and can get destructive if not properly excercised/given a challenging job. No, I don't think they're bad dogs (I own a German shepherd/Australian cattle dog mix myself) but I think a first time owner who wants children might be better off with a golden retriver, a labrador, or possibly a smooth coated collie (though the eye problems might deter you, also I've heard these dogs can sometimes be barkers)

• Gold Top Dog

GSDs make great first time dogs, if you read up on them and know what to expect ;-) 

Not everybody wants the generic "Happy happy joy joy!!!" Golden or Labrador.

I sure didn't...they were the first two breeds I crossed off my list  

• Gold Top Dog

Xeph

GSDs make great first time dogs, if you read up on them and know what to expect ;-)

Yep, GSD was my first dog and likely one of the only breeds I'll ever own (since there's plenty to choose from in shelters or breeders).  I have no regrets.  If anything, I was OVER prepared.  I've also known several people and families that have only ever had GSDs and have nothing bad to say about them. 

• Gold Top Dog

Beejou
    but I think a first time owner who wants children might be better off with a golden retriver, a labrador,

I am always surprised at the misconception that GSDs aren't good with children. I honestly cannot think of a better family dog.

• Gold Top Dog

RidgebackGermansShep

Beejou
    but I think a first time owner who wants children might be better off with a golden retriver, a labrador,

I am always surprised at the misconception that GSDs aren't good with children. I honestly cannot think of a better family dog.

Really? I dunno. Mostly because of the high number of badly bred GSD's out there. Weak temperaments, overly protective, etc. I think a GSD *should* be a good family dog, but I see many that aren't. Then again, in the last year at least a third of the goldens I've met have been nasty, so the problem isn't only a GSD thing.

• Gold Top Dog

fameb
    Another breed that caught my eye was the Spinone Italiano...Seems perfect to our lifestyle, but one would be impossible to find around here. Do any of you know much about this breed?  

Spinones need lots of exercise.  They are pointers that are not far from their original hunting roots.  I don't know if two half-hour walks will do it for them. 

• Gold Top Dog

What about a lab. Not that much fur. Most labs do need time to play though. People say that they act like a puppy for two years. Some labs need more training than others. Most of the good with kids and how smart they are just depends on the dog's personality.

• Bronze

I really think that you should consider the Standard Poodle for several reasons:

1. They have a low/no shed rate

2. Super intelligent

3. They can be a large breed

4. Poodles are one of twelve breeds considered hypo-allergenic by AKC

5. Poodles look really cute with a shag coat- you don't have to keep the coat cut funny

6.  Standard poodles are not as active as some of your large breeds ie; labs etc.