okay so im getting a

• Gold Top Dog

okay so im getting a

Chihuahua this summer or fall. My dad said thats the only breed of dog he'll allow me to get since it'll be small...I dont mind though, I LOVE chihuahuas! :]

I have met quite a few mean, yappy ones and I really dont want mine to turn out like that. Are there any tips on training and socializing chih's that would help? What method of house breaking would work best, should I teach them how to use a bell to tell me they have to go out or should I just take them out frequently, or are there any other tricks I should use?

Also do you know of any good breeders in Illinois or in the bordering states? I have found a few that I have been looking at, but I cant really tell if they are responsible breeders or not. My parents will drive me to get the puppy where ever it is, but I just have to pay for the gas, so closer would be better.

This is the color I want...

[IMG]http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/veritamamo/chihuahua.jpg[/IMG]

but I also like the cream&white, solid cream, solid white and the chocolate and tans....pretty much all the colors :]

• Gold Top Dog
    Yay more chihuahuas!!! I think the key to raising a well socialized little guy is just making sure he is exposed to and handled by a huge variety of people of all shapes, sizes, ethnic backgrounds etc. Treat him like a dog and don't carry/baby him too ;) My two think the tell bell is a toy more then a communication device, but I'm sure some people have had success. I personally don't crate train, I'm just hypervigalent with my dogs when they are little. They have a wizdog in their pen when I'm away that they use, otherwise it's outside. They are also trained to use puppy pads which comes in handy especially with travel or when we stay other places then my house. It's kinda hard to pick a color IMO. You will find a well bred dog with a fantastic personality is more valuable then any color combination.
    • Gold Top Dog

I would start by attending a few dog shows and meeting people. Lots of Chihuahua people use handlers, but you can still see the dogs. Check the Chihuahua Club of America site- they don't have breeder referrals on there, I believe, but you can find your local breed club that way and that's the best way to meet people.

I wouldn't focus on color just yet- start with finding a good breeder and building a relationship. (And you're going to want to get your parents involved- most breeders I know don't take inquiries from kids seriously at all, unless you're planning to do juniors or something). Spend the time getting to know them and their dogs, and go from there.

If you really have your heart set on a color, you might want to consider a rescue dog. Check petfinder! There are TONS of chihuahuas in rescue!

• Gold Top Dog

I also didnt want Kujo to be yappy and one of those little dogs people hate. So I took her everywhere I went. JJ's mom even helped me on socializing her. She loves Kujo and would call and ask if she could come get her whenever she would make her usual visiting friends rounds on the weekends.

So take your chi everywhere possible!! And around people of all ages!!!

I just potty trained Kujo like I would any other dog regardless of size. But she does get let out more than the big dogs.

Kujo loves treats. I have to say she is a very quick learner when it comes to getting a yummy treat. She can sit, tiptoe(walking on her hindlegs), speak, and quite.  

ETA- Also I know you want a certain color but like the others said dont worry about that first. Kujo had a little sister that looked like the puppy picture you posted I wanted badly but.......she was shy and wanted to hide under a pillow. Kujo went to my daughter right away and was very friendly and outgoing so she was the better choice for us. 

• Gold Top Dog

I dont care at all what color my chih is as long as it has a nice personality, I just think that color is neat :)

• Gold Top Dog

You have great timing! :) The Land of Lincoln Chihuahua Club of Illinois  is having a specialty show next weekend.

http://www.landoflincolnchihuahuaclub.org/27301/index.html

That might be a good place to start. According to the judging schedule there will be 72 dogs entered each day---so you'll be able to see lots of dogs all in one place and be able to meet breeders and owners.

I would suggest researching breeders and you could start with the list at the Chi Club of America site: http://www.chihuahuaclubofamerica.com/ccabrdir.htm

Read about the breeders and make a short list of any that sound promising. If someone seems just right to you, email them. Maybe you can introduce yourself at the specialty.  Even if you don't talk to anyone it will help if you research before you go so that the names in the  show catalog mean something.

Good luck! 

• Gold Top Dog

Just wanted to mention that the blue color (in many breeds actually, not just chihuahuas) is commonly associated with something called color dilution alopecia (balding).  Not all blue chihuahuas get it (particularly if it's a blue combination and not pure blue), but if they do, I don't think there is much medically you can do about it.  So if you think you want that color, be sure to question the breeder about their lines.  :)

• Gold Top Dog

Thanks for all the info!

If anyone has anything else to say, please do. And pictures are always welcome! :D

• Gold Top Dog

Hopefully you are able to go to that specialty show, that would be great.

For housetraining...I crate trained Beau, and he was taught to potty outside.  Potty pads are an alternative.  But if you choose to go that route, I would suggest you invest in some good potty pads -- I have heard of quite a few owners who were having problems with the housetraining until they upgraded from whatever cheap brand they had been using, to a better one.

Other than that, housetraining a chi is really no different than any other dog.  You just have to keep an even closer eye on them because of their tiny size -- it is easier for them to sneak away and have an accident...and when they do, it is easier to not notice.  Wink

Everyone else has already emphasized the importance of socialization, so I won't.  But also don't overlook the role genetics play.  Meet the parents of your prospective puppy, and make sure they have the kind of temperment you are looking for.

Below is a book that I highly recommend for all small dog owners.  (It's short and easy to read, and wouldn't hurt to get a head start before bringing your puppy home).

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Dogs-Training-Pint-Sized-Companion/dp/0793805376/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206417445&sr=8-2

Good luck!  I hope you find the perfect pup.  :-)

• Gold Top Dog

GypsyNBeau

Everyone else has already emphasized the importance of socialization, so I won't.  But also don't overlook the role genetics play.  Meet the parents of your prospective puppy, and make sure they have the kind of temperment you are looking for.

Yes, yes, yes, MEET the parents! My dog's personality is very much like his sire's personality.

I know you probably have a list of questions to ask the breeder but I would add asking about where the pup's grandparents, great-grands, aunts, uncles and siblings(half sibs?) are and what their health is like. Did the great-grands live to be 18? 12? what did they die of???

I think its great that you're looking NOW for a pup that will be ready in the summer/fall. Taking your time means you'll be able to find the breeder and pup that is perfect for YOU.

Have fun and good luck!