pekingese

• Gold Top Dog

pekingese

Do they have different hair types or something?
    The ones on the dog shows are like huge fluff balls....but also there are some that arnt huge fluff balls...
    Is it the hair type or do people get all their fluff shaved off?

[IMG]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u311/baby_hugz/l_659006.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/moenique/l_f12d4d7a3340bbc1ae1db39217419cf0.png[/IMG]

• Gold Top Dog

I've only seen the ones in the second picture in real life. Never a show type one. The one in the second picture never needed their hair cut. Or their owners never got their hair cut. The one in the second picture's hair is manageable for nonshow people.

• Gold Top Dog
    I think its shaved. I knew an elderly lady who had a Peke who looked just like the one in the first photo and was never shown. He was such a cute little mop. >

• Gold Top Dog

Miss Kee is a peke.  Some folks just manage the fluff ball part and never groom them.  I've chosen to get Kee groomed by Billy's groomer and it's far easier to deal with them.

They DO mat very very easily -- they are not a low-maintenance dog coat-wise. And, it's also my opinion that they tend to come in a couple of different personality types.

Seriously ... and not as a put-down ... I've known some pekes that were VERY intelligent.  Incredibly so ... but also typically a bit manipulative and very independant (those will train their humans to do whatever they want them to do -- and if not, WHY NOT????? -- I had one of those, and it taught ME I had to hold my dog's respect or ... give up and get walked over!!).  Ms. Kee tends to be from the other personality type -- really pretty darned sweet ... but definitely *not* the brightest light in the box!

For a little dog they are very independant (both personality types).  Many people who get them don't understand the personality (nor care) -- and honestly I've seen many abused pekes in my life.  So be careful -- they are among my favorite breeds but not for everyone.

• Gold Top Dog

corgichick
    Do they have different hair types or something?
    The ones on the dog shows are like huge fluff balls....but also there are some that arnt huge fluff balls...
    Is it the hair type or do people get all their fluff shaved off?

Our family had two Pekes, one from a show breeder and one from a puppy mill.  The puppy mill Peke had short soft fur throughout his life.  The show stock Peke had long flowing fur that could have been teased into the fluff ball as above.  Her coat was a bit more harsh than his.  

They are called "Lion Dogs" for several reasons, one is the obvious:  they can and do display a mane.   The other reason is that true Peke temperment is reflected in a fearless dog, a dog that doesn't know how large or small it really is.